Find uncountably many subsets that are neither open nor closed

In summary: Try to find the extrema of f (using derivatives), this allows you to find the minima of f on \mathbb{R}^+. If you show that the minimum is \geq 0 (in fact it will =0), then we have proved that the function itself is larger than 0
hnbc1

Homework Statement

1. Find an uncountable number of subsets of metric spaces [tex]\left(\mathbb{R}^{n},d_{p}\right)[/tex] and [tex]\left(\mathbb{C}^{n},d_{p}\right)[/tex] that are neither open nor closed.
2. If [tex]1\leq p<q [/tex], then the unit ball in [tex]\left(\mathbb{R}^{n},d_{p}\right)[/tex] is contained in the unit ball in [tex]\left(\mathbb{R}^{n},d_{q}\right)[/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

For (1), I think I should start with some point and construct balls centered at this point.
For (2), I think it boils down to prove: [tex]\left(\sum_{i}^{n}\left|x_{i}\right|^{p}\right)^{\frac{1}{p}}\geq\left(\sum_{i}^{n}\left|x_{i}\right|^{q}\right)^{\frac{1}{q}}[/tex]

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
hnbc1 said:
For (1), I think I should start with some point and construct balls centered at this point.

Can you come up with just one space that is neither open nor closed?? Try to generalize...

For (2), I think it boils down to prove: [tex]\left(\sum_{i}^{n}\left|x_{i}\right|^{p}\right)^{\frac{1}{p}}\geq\left(\sum_{i}^{n}\left|x_{i}\right|^{q}\right)^{\frac{1}{q}}[/tex]

Yes, that is what you need to show. Instead of dealing with general dimension n, try to prove it first for n=1 (this is trivial) and n=2. You'll see easier why the general case holds...

micromass said:
Can you come up with just one space that is neither open nor closed?? Try to generalize...
Yes, that is what you need to show. Instead of dealing with general dimension n, try to prove it first for n=1 (this is trivial) and n=2. You'll see easier why the general case holds...

Hi micromass, I'm not required to find spaces that are neither open nor closed, but the subsets of the two metrics spaces mentioned. We can pick any point x in Rn or Cn, construct an open ball which is an open set, and pick another point on the boundary or out of the boundary, and the union of the ball and the point is neither open nor closed. Since the point x uncountable in Rn and Cn, then we are done. I'm not sure this argument is formal enough.

I still don't have a clue about the second question, even when n=2...

Last edited:
hnbc1 said:
Hi micromass, I'm not required to find spaces that are neither open nor closed, but the subsets of the two metrics spaces mentioned. We can pick any point x in Rn or Cn, construct an open ball which is an open set, and pick another point on the boundary or out of the boundary, and the union of the ball and the point is neither open nor closed. Since the point x uncountable in Rn and Cn, then we are done. I'm not sure this argument is formal enough.

Well, from your reasing, I could deduce that X=]0,1] is open nor closed. In fact, we could view X as subset of [tex]\mathbb{R}^n[/tex] in general! So this is an example of a subset that is open nor closed. Now, can you make a slight generalization to X such that you have uncountably many spaces??

I still don't have a clue about the second question, even when n=2...

The second question is without doubt the hardest one. Let's do this for n=2, we need to show that

[tex]1\leq p\leq q~\Rightarrow~(|x|^q+|y|^q)^{1/q}\leq (|x|^p+|y|^p)^{1/p}[/tex]

Now, the proof of this is what I called "standard". First, we assume that y=1, we'll deal with the general argument later. Then we need to show that

[tex]f(x)=(1+x^p)^{1/p}-(1+x^q)^{1/q}\geq 0~\text{for}~x\geq 0[/tex]

Try to find the extrema of f (using derivatives), this allows you to find the minima of f on [tex]\mathbb{R}^+[/tex]. If you show that the minimum is [tex]\geq 0[/tex] (in fact it will =0), then we have proved that the function itself is larger than 0...

Related to Find uncountably many subsets that are neither open nor closed

1. What does it mean for a subset to be open or closed?

In mathematics, a subset of a topological space is considered open if every point in the subset has a neighborhood contained in the subset. A subset is closed if it contains all its limit points. These concepts are important in understanding the properties of a topological space.

2. Why is it important to find subsets that are neither open nor closed?

Uncountably many subsets that are neither open nor closed are useful in constructing counterexamples to various theorems in topology. They also provide insight into the structure and properties of topological spaces.

3. How can one find uncountably many subsets that are neither open nor closed?

There are several ways to construct such subsets. One method is to consider subsets that are dense in a topological space, meaning that they have points arbitrarily close to any other point in the space. Another method is to use the concept of a perfect set, which is a closed set with no isolated points.

4. Can a subset be both open and closed?

In general, no. However, in certain topological spaces such as the discrete topology (where every subset is open) or the indiscrete topology (where only the empty set and the entire space are open), every subset is both open and closed.

5. How do subsets that are neither open nor closed relate to open and closed sets?

Subsets that are neither open nor closed can be thought of as "in between" open and closed sets. They may have some properties of open sets and some properties of closed sets, but do not fit entirely into either category. They also provide a counterexample to the common misconception that all subsets are either open or closed.