Find two linearly independent eigenvectors for eigenvalue 1

In summary: In that case, their first eigenvector is the -2 multiple of your second eigenvector. But as I mentioned before, both of their eigenvectors still span the same subspace as your eigenvectors. In summary, the conversation discusses finding two linearly independent eigenvectors corresponding to the eigenvalue 1 for a given linear transformation with a specific matrix. The conversation involves solving for the eigenvectors by setting up an augmented matrix and manipulating it to find the arbitrary values for the eigenvectors. The two eigenvectors that were obtained are <1,0,-2> and <0,1,-2>, which are verified to be correct. The book's solution also provides two eigenvectors, <
Potatochip911

Homework Statement

A linear transformation with Matrix A = ##
\begin{pmatrix}
5&4&2\\
4&5&2\\
2&2&2
\end{pmatrix} ## has eigenvalues 1 and 10. Find two linearly independent eigenvectors corresponding to the eigenvalue 1.

Homework Equations

3. The Attempt at a Solution [/B]
I know from the trace of matrix A that eigenvalue 1 has a multiplicity of 2 and that eigenvalue 10 has a multiplicity of 1. Solving for eigenvectors corresponding for ## \lambda = 1 ##, pretend it's an augmented matrix...
##
\begin{pmatrix}
4&4&2\\
4&4&2\\
2&2&1
\end{pmatrix}
R_2 ->R_2 - R_1;
R_3 ->R_3 - \dfrac{1}{2} \cdot R_2 =
\begin{pmatrix}
4&4&2\\
0&0&0\\
0&0&0
\end{pmatrix}
R_1-> \dfrac{1}{2} \cdot R_1 =
\begin{pmatrix}
2&2&1\\
0&0&0\\
0&0&0
\end{pmatrix}
##
Therefore ##x_2## and ##x_3## are arbitrary. Solving for ##x_1## gives $$x_1=-x_2-\dfrac{1}{2} x_3$$ $$x_2=x_2$$ $$x_3=x_3$$
$$v= \begin{pmatrix}
-x_2-\dfrac{1}{2} x_3\\
x_2\\
x_3
\end{pmatrix} $$
##v= x_2 \begin{pmatrix}
-1 \\
1 \\
\end{pmatrix} +
x_3 \begin{pmatrix}
-1 \\
0 \\
\end{pmatrix} ## Now those are the two eigenvectors I got however the answer in my book says the two eigenvectors are ##v_1=<1,0,-2>## and ##v_2=<0,1,-2>##

Physics news on Phys.org
Potatochip911 said:

Homework Statement

A linear transformation with Matrix A = ##
\begin{pmatrix}
5&4&2\\
4&5&2\\
2&2&2
\end{pmatrix} ## has eigenvalues 1 and 10. Find two linearly independent eigenvectors corresponding to the eigenvalue 1.

Homework Equations

3. The Attempt at a Solution [/B]
I know from the trace of matrix A that eigenvalue 1 has a multiplicity of 2 and that eigenvalue 10 has a multiplicity of 1. Solving for eigenvectors corresponding for ## \lambda = 1 ##, pretend it's an augmented matrix...
##
\begin{pmatrix}
4&4&2\\
4&4&2\\
2&2&1
\end{pmatrix}
R_2 ->R_2 - R_1;
R_3 ->R_3 - \dfrac{1}{2} \cdot R_2 =
\begin{pmatrix}
4&4&2\\
0&0&0\\
0&0&0
\end{pmatrix}
R_1-> \dfrac{1}{2} \cdot R_1 =
\begin{pmatrix}
2&2&1\\
0&0&0\\
0&0&0
\end{pmatrix}
##
Therefore ##x_2## and ##x_3## are arbitrary. Solving for ##x_1## gives $$x_1=-x_2-\dfrac{1}{2} x_3$$ $$x_2=x_2$$ $$x_3=x_3$$
$$v= \begin{pmatrix}
-x_2-\dfrac{1}{2} x_3\\
x_2\\
x_3
\end{pmatrix} $$
##v= x_2 \begin{pmatrix}
-1 \\
1 \\
\end{pmatrix} +
x_3 \begin{pmatrix}
-1 \\
0 \\
\end{pmatrix} ## Now those are the two eigenvectors I got however the answer in my book says the two eigenvectors are ##v_1=<1,0,-2>## and ##v_2=<0,1,-2>##
Your eigenvectors are correct, which I verified by multiplying them on the left by your matrix, with both multiplications resulting in 1 times the eigenvector.
The book's first eigenvector is the -1 multiple of your second eigenvector. Their second eigenvector is not a scalar multiple of your first eigenvector, but it still is an eigenvector associated with the eigenvalue 1. Your two vectors and the book's two vectors span the same two-dim. subspace of R3, so all is good.

Mark44 said:
Your eigenvectors are correct, which I verified by multiplying them on the left by your matrix, with both multiplications resulting in 1 times the eigenvector.
The book's first eigenvector is the -1 multiple of your second eigenvector. Their second eigenvector is not a scalar multiple of your first eigenvector, but it still is an eigenvector associated with the eigenvalue 1. Your two vectors and the book's two vectors span the same two-dim. subspace of R3, so all is good.
Okay thanks!

In the book's solution, they solved for ##x_3 = -2 x_1 -2 x_2##, so ##x_1## and ##x_2## ended up being arbitrary instead of ##x_2## and ##x_3## as in your case.

vela said:
In the book's solution, they solved for ##x_3 = -2 x_1 -2 x_2##, so ##x_1## and ##x_2## ended up being arbitrary instead of ##x_2## and ##x_3## as in your case.
Oh, so that's where they're getting that eigenvector from.

Related to Find two linearly independent eigenvectors for eigenvalue 1

1. What is an eigenvector?

An eigenvector is a vector that, when multiplied by a given matrix, produces a scalar multiple of itself. This scalar multiple is known as the eigenvalue.

2. Why is it important to find two linearly independent eigenvectors for eigenvalue 1?

Finding two linearly independent eigenvectors for eigenvalue 1 is important because it allows us to fully understand the behavior of a linear transformation on a given vector space. It also helps us to diagonalize a matrix and simplify complex calculations.

3. How do you find two linearly independent eigenvectors for eigenvalue 1?

To find two linearly independent eigenvectors for eigenvalue 1, we first need to find the null space of the matrix (A-I), where A is the given matrix and I is the identity matrix. Then, we can use the null space vectors as our eigenvectors.

4. Can there be more than two linearly independent eigenvectors for eigenvalue 1?

Yes, there can be more than two linearly independent eigenvectors for eigenvalue 1. In fact, the number of linearly independent eigenvectors for a given eigenvalue is equal to the multiplicity of that eigenvalue.

5. What is the significance of eigenvalue 1 in finding eigenvectors?

Eigenvalue 1 is significant because it represents the scaling factor of the eigenvectors. This means that when we multiply an eigenvector by the given matrix, the resulting vector will be equal to the original eigenvector multiplied by the eigenvalue. It also helps us to determine the linearly independent eigenvectors for other eigenvalues.