Find Transition Matrices for Pd to c Using Given Matrices - Step by Step Guide"

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the transition matrix from two given matrices, Pd to c, and the process of row reducing until the identity matrix is obtained on the left hand side. The resulting transition matrix is checked by multiplying it with the original matrix d to see if it equals c. The final transition matrix is [ 2 -1 -1 | -1 1 1 | -1 0 1 ].
says

Homework Statement

Given the 2 Matrices, find the transition matrices, Pd to c

d =
[ 1 1 0 ]
[ 0 1 -1 ]
[ 1 1 1 ]

c=
[ 1 0 0 ]
[ 0 1 0 ]
[ 0 0 1 ]

Homework Equations

Pd to c = [d] | [c]

The Attempt at a Solution

Pd to c = [d] | [c]

[ 1 1 0 | 1 0 0 ]
[ 0 1 -1 | 0 1 0 ]
[ 1 1 1 | 0 0 1 ]

The process of getting the transition matrix involves row reducing until we have the identity matrix on the left hand side. The right hand side will then be = the transition matrix.

Transition matrix =

[ 2 -1 -1 ]
[ -1 1 1 ]
[ -1 0 1 ]

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you have a question?

Just checking if I'm doing it correctly. Sorry, I should have stated this in my original post.

Have you checked that Pd to c d = c?

Related to Find Transition Matrices for Pd to c Using Given Matrices - Step by Step Guide"

1. How do I find transition matrices for Pd to c?

To find transition matrices for Pd to c, you will need to have given matrices for both Pd and c. Then, you can use a step by step guide to determine the transition matrix by following specific mathematical operations.

2. What are transition matrices?

Transition matrices are matrices that represent the transformation of one vector space into another. In this case, the transition matrices for Pd to c show the transformation from the vector space of Pd to the vector space of c.

3. Why is finding transition matrices important?

Finding transition matrices is important because it allows for the comparison and analysis of the vector spaces of Pd and c. It can also be used to determine the relationship between the two vector spaces and how they relate to each other.

4. Do I need any specific mathematical knowledge to find transition matrices?

Yes, to find transition matrices, you will need to have a basic understanding of matrices and matrix operations, such as addition, multiplication, and inverse operations. You may also need to have knowledge of linear algebra concepts.

5. Are there any online resources or tools that can help with finding transition matrices?

Yes, there are many online resources and tools available that can help with finding transition matrices. Some websites offer step by step guides, while others have calculators that can perform the necessary operations for you. You can also consult textbooks or seek help from a math tutor if needed.