Find the X coordinate with slope of -2

In summary: In the first case, -2= 2x/(1- |x|+ x2) and in the second case, -2= 2x/(1+ |x|+ x2). In both cases, x= 1 satisfies the equation.
smith007

Homework Statement

Function defined as:

y = The integral from 0 to x2 of 1 / (1 - Sqrt(t) + t)

There exists a point where the slope of the tangeant is = -2. Find the x coordinate at this point.

Homework Equations

Fundemental Theorem of Calculus

The Attempt at a Solution

If I use FTC and replace t with x2. Then I get two equations because sqrt(x2) is +/- x. I use those to create two separate equations.

y = 2x and y = 2x/1+2x

These should be 2 equations for the tangeant line but I am unsure what to do next.

This was on my exam yesterday and I tried some things, none of which seemed right. I know I lost mark just would like to know how many. :)

Physics news on Phys.org
smith007 said:

Homework Statement

Function defined as:

y = The integral from 0 to x2 of 1 / (1 - Sqrt(t) + t)

There exists a point where the slope of the tangeant is = -2. Find the x coordinate at this point.

The Attempt at a Solution

If I use FTC and replace t with x2. Then I get two equations because sqrt(x2) is +/- x. I use those to create two separate equations.

y = 2x and y = 2x/1+2x

These should be 2 equations for the tangeant line but I am unsure what to do next.

Assuming you mean: [tex]y(x)\equiv \int_0^{x^2} \frac{1}{1-\sqrt{t}+t}dt[/tex] and y'(x)=2x or 2x/(1+2x) , then you have the right idea. However, [tex]1-\sqrt{x^2}+x^2=1-|x|+x^2[/tex] not 1 or 1+2x!...And y'(x) is the equation for the slope of the tangent line, not the tangent line itself!

So, where does y'(x)=-2?

I forgot one of the squares on the bottom, bad mistake.

So my equation becomes:
y' = 2x / 1 - |x| + x2

-2 = 2x / 1 - |x| + x2 but we know x is positive because of the range of the original question so it becomes:

-2 = 2x / 1 - x + x2

Solve for x = 1? I still don't think that is quite right.

smith007 said:
I forgot one of the squares on the bottom, bad mistake.

So my equation becomes:
y' = 2x / 1 - |x| + x2

-2 = 2x / 1 - |x| + x2 but we know x is positive because of the range of the original question so it becomes:
Where did this come from? You didn't say anything about a range or domain (which is what I think you really mean) before. The only reference to the variable was a "x2 in which x can be positive of negative.

-2 = 2x / 1 - x + x2

Solve for x = 1? I still don't think that is quite right.
That isn't at all right because x= 1 does NOT satify that equation!

But if you take x to be negative then you must have -2= 2x/(1+ x+ x2) so that -1- x- x2= x or x2+ 2x+ 1= 0. What negative solution does that have? Does it satisfy -2= 2x/(1- |x|+ x2)?

As Halls said, unless you are explicitly told that x must be positive, you must examine two cases: (1)x is positive and (2)x is negative.

Related to Find the X coordinate with slope of -2

1. What does it mean to find the X coordinate with a slope of -2?

When we talk about finding the X coordinate with a slope of -2, we are referring to finding the point on a graph where the slope, or steepness, of the line is equal to -2. This means that for every unit we move horizontally (along the X axis), the line will move down 2 units vertically (along the Y axis).

2. How is the X coordinate related to the slope of a line?

The X coordinate is one of the two coordinates that make up a point on a graph. In a linear equation, the X coordinate represents the input or independent variable, while the Y coordinate represents the output or dependent variable. The slope of a line is determined by the change in the Y coordinate divided by the change in the X coordinate, also known as rise over run. So, the X coordinate is a crucial component in determining the slope of a line.

3. What is the process for finding the X coordinate with a slope of -2?

To find the X coordinate with a slope of -2, we first need to have a linear equation in the form of y = mx + b, where m represents the slope and b represents the y-intercept. We then need to set the slope, m, equal to -2 and solve for the X coordinate. This can be done by rearranging the equation to isolate the X variable.

4. Can you explain the significance of a line with a slope of -2 on a graph?

A line with a slope of -2 on a graph is a steeply declining line that moves downwards as we move from left to right. This indicates that the relationship between the two variables represented by the X and Y coordinates is a negative one. In other words, as the X value increases, the Y value decreases. This type of line is commonly seen in situations where there is a decrease in one quantity as the other increases, such as the depreciation of a car's value over time.

5. What are some real-life applications of finding the X coordinate with a slope of -2?

Finding the X coordinate with a slope of -2 can be useful in various real-life scenarios, such as calculating the rate of change in stock prices, analyzing the depreciation of assets, and predicting the decrease in production costs as the quantity produced increases. It can also be applied in physics to determine the speed of an object in freefall or the rate of change in temperature over time.