Find the x and y component of vector c

In summary: Therefore, the x coordinates of vector c are 4.5 + 7.40 = 14 and the angle between vector c and vector a is therefore 90.
ios
You are given vectors a = 4.50i-7.00j and b = -3.50i+7.40j. A third vector c lies in the xy-plane. Vector c is perpendicular to vector a and the scalar product of c with b is 10.0.

now i figured that since vector a is in quad 4, then to be perpendicular, vector c would have to be in quad 1 or 3, but I am not sure which one. i got that to find the scalar product, its 10 = -3.5(Xc)+7.4(1.556Yc) & arctan(32.7352)=Xc/1.556Yc. but then i kind of reach a dead end and i can't figure out what to do. the question asks to find the x and y component of vector c.

Physics news on Phys.org
10 = -3.5(Xc)+7.4(1.556Yc) & arctan(32.7352)=Xc/1.556Yc

Can't you solve that system of equations for Xc and Yc?

P.S. what are Xc and Yc, and where did the 32.7352 and the 1.556 come from?

Xc is the x component of vector c, and Yc is the y component of vector c. I'm just not sure if my math was right or not. 32.5372 is the angle if you take tan of 4.5/7. and 1.556 is the ratio of x to y (vector a).

1.556 is the ratio of x to y (vector a).

But why does it appear in your equations?

don't i need that for vector c to be perpendicular to vector a?

I get the feeling you're mixing fragments of equations together without really knowing why.

You have (correctly) determined that Xc / Yc = 14/9 (= 1.556).

But why did you put the 1.556 into the two equations

10 = -3.5(Xc)+7.4(1.556Yc) & arctan(32.7352)=Xc/1.556Yc

?

don't i need to maintain that x to y ratio for the angle of vector c to be perpendicular to vector a? i thought that was the only way to keep the angle so that added together, the angle between vector c and vector a equals 90.

Remember that the definition of dot product is:

"The product of the x coordinates plus the product of the y coordinates".

The y coordinates of b and c are 7.40 and Yc respectively. (not 1.556 Yc)

Related to Find the x and y component of vector c

1. What is a vector?

A vector is a mathematical quantity that has both magnitude (size) and direction. It is typically represented as an arrow pointing in a specific direction and its length represents its magnitude.

2. How do you find the x and y components of a vector?

To find the x and y components of a vector, you can use trigonometric functions such as sine and cosine. The x component can be found by multiplying the magnitude of the vector by the cosine of the angle it makes with the x-axis. Similarly, the y component can be found by multiplying the magnitude by the sine of the angle.

3. What is the difference between a vector's magnitude and its components?

The magnitude of a vector is its overall size or length, while its components are the specific values that make up the vector in a particular direction. The magnitude of a vector can be found using the Pythagorean theorem, while its components can be found using trigonometric functions.

4. Why is it important to find the x and y components of a vector?

Finding the x and y components of a vector allows us to break down a vector into its individual parts, which can be useful in solving mathematical problems. It also helps us to better understand the direction and magnitude of a vector.

5. Can you find the x and y components of any vector?

Yes, you can find the x and y components of any vector as long as you know its magnitude and the angle it makes with the x-axis. These components can then be used in mathematical equations or to plot the vector on a graph.