Find the Work Done and the Heat Transfer

In summary, the question asks for the work and heat transfer in Btu for a process in which air is compressed from 10 lbf/in2 and 500°R to a final volume of 1ft3 in a process described by pv1.25 = constant. Using the ideal gas law and neglecting kinetic and potential energy effects, the initial volume can be calculated by finding the value of the gas constant expressed in the required units and converting the mass of air to lb-moles.
Northbysouth
\

Homework Statement

Air is compressed in a piston-cylinder assembly from p1 = 10 lbf/in2, T1 = 500°R to a final volume of V2 = 1ft3 in a process described by pv1.25 = constant. The mass of air is 0.5 lb. Assuming ideal gas behavior and neglecting kinetic and potential energy effects, determine the work and heat transfer, each in Btu, using a) constant specific heats evaluated at 500°R and b) data from the table. Compare the results

The table is titled 'Ideal Gas properties of air

Homework Equations

Cv = constant

pv = nRT

Q = ΔE + W

E = U + KE + PE

W = ∫P dv

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not sure where to begin with this question. I think I need to find the initial volume first but I'm not sure what the best way to do this is. I had thought to use:

pv = nRT

But then I'd have to convert my 0.5 lb of air into moles which would require me to convert everything else into English units. Is there a simpler way?

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure where to begin with this question.
Start with what you know about the kind of process that can be described as ##pv^{1.25}=\text{const}##.

The only way to avoid converting things is to find an expression of the equations that uses the things you want.

Northbysouth said:
\

Homework Statement

Air is compressed in a piston-cylinder assembly from p1 = 10 lbf/in2, T1 = 500°R to a final volume of V2 = 1ft3 in a process described by pv1.25 = constant. The mass of air is 0.5 lb. Assuming ideal gas behavior and neglecting kinetic and potential energy effects, determine the work and heat transfer, each in Btu, using a) constant specific heats evaluated at 500°R and b) data from the table. Compare the results

The table is titled 'Ideal Gas properties of air

Homework Equations

Cv = constant

pv = nRT

Q = ΔE + W

E = U + KE + PE

W = ∫P dv

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not sure where to begin with this question. I think I need to find the initial volume first but I'm not sure what the best way to do this is. I had thought to use:

pv = nRT

But then I'd have to convert my 0.5 lb of air into moles which would require me to convert everything else into English units. Is there a simpler way?

You need to find the value of the gas constant expressed in units of (psi)(ft3)/((lb-mole)(degree R)). Look it up with Google. Converting 0.5 lb to lb-moles is easy, since you just divide by 29. Then you are ready to apply the ideal gas law to calculate the initial volume in ft3.

Related to Find the Work Done and the Heat Transfer

What is meant by work done in a scientific context?

In science, work done refers to the transfer of energy from one form to another. It is the process of using a force to move an object over a distance. Work done is typically measured in joules (J) or newton-meters (Nm).

How is work done calculated?

The formula for calculating work done is W = F x d, where W is work, F is the force applied, and d is the distance over which the force is applied. This means that the amount of work done is directly proportional to the force applied and the distance moved.

What is the difference between positive and negative work done?

Positive work done occurs when the force and the displacement are in the same direction, meaning that the force is applied in the same direction as the movement of the object. Negative work done occurs when the force and the displacement are in opposite directions, causing the object to slow down or stop.

What is heat transfer and how does it relate to work done?

Heat transfer is the movement of thermal energy from a warmer object to a cooler object. This transfer of energy can occur through conduction, convection, or radiation. Heat transfer can be related to work done through the conservation of energy principle, where the work done on an object is equal to the change in thermal energy of that object.

How can we measure heat transfer and work done in a system?

Heat transfer and work done can be measured using various instruments, such as thermometers, calorimeters, and dynamometers. These instruments allow us to measure the temperature change and the forces applied to determine the amount of heat transfer and work done in a system.