Find the volume of the solid obtained by rotating it about the x-axis?

In summary: If you're stuck, we can look at the general case.In summary, the poster is trying to find the volume of a curve that has been rotated so that the region bounded by the curve and the x-axis is cut out by a cone. They are not sure how to remove the cone from the region, but they are willing to help if someone can help them.
randoreds
Hey guys, I know it late its a little past one here. But I'm doing an assignment due tomorrow at I've been stuck on the last question for at least an hour.

Find the volume of the solid obtained by rotating the region bounded the curves

Y=absolute value of x. and y = square root of ( 8-x^2) , about the x-axis.

its going to look like a hemisphere with like a cone cut out. I just have no idea how to remove the cone!

I promise if you help, the world will bless you with karma.

Its funny that last poster is doing the same type of problem, but we're not in the same class because I wasn't assigned that problem! I think the calculus world just decided today all calculus classes find volumes!

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
randoreds said:
its going to look like a hemisphere with like a cone cut out. I just have no idea how to remove the cone!

Find the volume of the curve, subtract the volume of the cone. You can keep it in one integral by noting that A(x) is the area of the curve minus the area of the cone.

karma++ and time for bed :)

To make it easier, I might do this by only thinking about half of the volume on one side of the y-axis first, then just multiplying by two.

But either way, draw your graph, find the intersection point(s). Do you know how to find the volume by rotation using the area enclosed by one function?

If you do, the case of an area enclosed by two functions isn't too bad, especially when they don't cross over the interval we're concerned with. All you need to know is:

V = V(outer radius) - V(inner radius)

See how far you can get with that first.

Related to Find the volume of the solid obtained by rotating it about the x-axis?

1. What is the formula for finding the volume of a solid rotated about the x-axis?

The formula for finding the volume of a solid rotated about the x-axis is V = π∫[a,b] f(x)^2 dx, where f(x) represents the equation of the curve, a and b represent the limits of integration, and π is the constant pi.

2. How is the volume of a solid rotated about the x-axis different from a regular volume calculation?

The volume of a solid rotated about the x-axis is different from a regular volume calculation because it takes into account the rotation of the solid around the x-axis, which changes the shape of the solid and therefore requires a different formula.

3. Can the volume of a solid rotated about the x-axis be negative?

No, the volume of a solid rotated about the x-axis cannot be negative. This is because volume is a measure of space and cannot have a negative value.

4. What is the importance of finding the volume of a solid rotated about the x-axis?

Finding the volume of a solid rotated about the x-axis is important in many areas of science and engineering, as it allows us to accurately calculate the volume of objects with curved or irregular shapes. This information can then be used in various calculations and analyses.

5. Are there any limitations to using the formula for finding the volume of a solid rotated about the x-axis?

Yes, there are some limitations to using the formula for finding the volume of a solid rotated about the x-axis. It can only be used for solids with a continuous, smooth curve along the x-axis. Additionally, the curve must be defined by a function in terms of x.