Find the vertical and horizontal asymptotes.

In summary, the conversation discussed finding the vertical and horizontal asymptotes for the function f(x) = arctan x. The person asking for help was unsure of how to approach the problem and had tried graphing it on their calculator. However, the other person reminded them to remember the definition of arctan and to find the limits as x approaches infinity and negative infinity. The final solution was found to be epi/2 and e-pi/2.
bobraymund

Homework Statement

Find the vertical and horizontal asymptotes.

Homework Equations

f(x) = earctan x

The Attempt at a Solution

Honestly, I am pretty stumped on this problem. I have graphed it on my calculator and messed around a bit, it seems that the horizontal asymptotes are around y = 0.20788 and y = 4.81048. Or something along those lines.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Bob

Physics news on Phys.org
You'll need to figure out the limit of arctan(x) as x->infinity and (-infinity). Put the calculator away and remember the definition of arctan.

Dick said:
You'll need to figure out the limit of arctan(x) as x->infinity and (-infinity). Put the calculator away and remember the definition of arctan.

Oh, ha ha. Wow, how embarrassing.

It's just epi/2 and e-pi/2.

Thanks, heh heh.

-bob

Related to Find the vertical and horizontal asymptotes.

1. What is an asymptote?

An asymptote is a line or curve that a graph approaches but never touches. It can be either vertical or horizontal.

2. What are vertical asymptotes?

Vertical asymptotes are vertical lines on a graph that the curve approaches but never touches. They occur when the denominator of a rational function is equal to zero.

3. How do I find the vertical asymptotes of a function?

To find the vertical asymptotes of a function, set the denominator of the function equal to zero and solve for the variable. The resulting values will be the x-coordinates of the vertical asymptotes.

4. What are horizontal asymptotes?

Horizontal asymptotes are horizontal lines that the graph approaches but never touches. They occur when the degree of the numerator is less than the degree of the denominator in a rational function.

5. How do I find the horizontal asymptote of a function?

To find the horizontal asymptote of a function, compare the degrees of the numerator and denominator. If the degree of the numerator is less than the degree of the denominator, the horizontal asymptote will be at y = 0. If the degrees are equal, the horizontal asymptote will be at the ratio of the leading coefficients. If the degree of the numerator is greater than the degree of the denominator, there is no horizontal asymptote.