Find the variable to make the function continuous

In summary, the problem is trying to find k so that the following function is continuous on any interval.
Painguy

Homework Statement

Find k so that the following function is continuous on any interval.

j(x) = {k cos(x), x ≤ 0
{10ex − k, 0 < x

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I originally thought i had to check if the limits of both parts of the functions existed, and if so to set them equal to each other, but then I reread the question and realized that it wasn't asking me if its continuous, but to make it continuous by finding the value of k. I figured that i might be able to to set the two functions equal to each other to see if I can get k, but I'm not sure if that's right or not.

Physics news on Phys.org
Painguy said:

Homework Statement

j(x) = {k cos(x), x ≤ 0
{10ex − k, 0 < x

Homework Equations

I originally thought i had to check if the limits of both parts of the functions existed, and if so to set them equal to each other, but then I reread the question and realized that it wasn't asking me if its continuous, but to make it continuous by finding the value of k. I figured that i might be able to to set the two functions equal to each other to see if I can get k, but I'm not sure if that's right or not.

For x > 0 do you mean 10*e*x - k, or do you mean 10*ex - k?

RGV

Painguy said:

Homework Statement

j(x) = {k cos(x), x ≤ 0
{10ex − k, 0 < x

Homework Equations

Maybe to give a 100% answer, just state that right of zero and left of zero there are

no problems of continuity. Then , also, f is continuous if the value at a point coincides

with the right- and left- limits.

Ray Vickson said:
For x > 0 do you mean 10*e*x - k, or do you mean 10*ex - k?

RGV

I'm sorry i meant 10*ex - k

Painguy said:

Homework Statement

j(x) = {k cos(x), x ≤ 0
{10ex − k, 0 < x

Homework Equations

Chose k to make the following two limits equal to each other.

[itex]\lim_{x\to0^+}\,j(x)\,,[/itex] this is where j(x) = 10ex − k .

[itex]\lim_{x\to0^-}\,j(x)\,,[/itex] this is where j(x) = k cos(x) .

Then make sure that those limits equal j(0) (which of course, they will).

I see. That helps. That's what i intended to to at first, but I am not sure how i misinterpreted the question. Anyway thanks for all your help guys

Related to Find the variable to make the function continuous

1. What does it mean for a function to be continuous?

Continuity of a function means that there are no breaks or jumps in the graph of the function. This means that the function is defined and has a value at every point along the graph.

2. Why is it important to find the variable that makes a function continuous?

Finding the variable that makes a function continuous is important because it ensures that the function is well-defined and has a value at every point on its graph. This is necessary for accurately representing real-world phenomena and making meaningful calculations with the function.

3. How do you find the variable that makes a function continuous?

To find the variable that makes a function continuous, you need to identify any points where the function is not defined or has a discontinuity. Then, you can use algebraic techniques such as substitution or simplification to manipulate the function and eliminate the discontinuity, thus making the function continuous.

4. What types of discontinuities can occur in a function?

There are three main types of discontinuities that can occur in a function: removable, jump, and infinite. Removable discontinuities occur when there is a hole or gap in the graph of the function. Jump discontinuities occur when the graph has two distinct pieces that are not connected. Infinite discontinuities occur when the function approaches positive or negative infinity at a certain point.

5. Can all functions be made continuous by finding the appropriate variable?

In general, yes, all functions can be made continuous by finding the appropriate variable. However, there are certain cases where the function may not have a value at a specific point, and therefore cannot be made continuous. For example, a function with an infinite discontinuity cannot be made continuous by finding the appropriate variable.