Find the Units of the Torsional Constant for a Balance Wheel

In summary, the conversation is about determining the rotational inertia and torsional constant of a balance wheel in a clock. The rotational inertia is found in part a), but the correct units for the torsional constant in part b) are not known. The suggestion is to use dimensional analysis to find the correct units.
Flinze

Homework Statement

The 500-mg balance wheel of a certain clock is made up of a thin metal ring of radius 16 mm connected by spokes of negligible mass to a fine suspension fiber as in(Figure 1) . The back-and-forth twisting of the fiber causes the wheel to move in simple harmonic motion with period T. The clock ticks four times each second, with the interval between ticks equal to T/2.

a) Determine the rotational inertia I of the balance wheel.

b) What is the torsional constant of the fiber that drives the balance wheel?

The Attempt at a Solution

I figured out part a) but I can't seem to get the units correct for part b)? I've tried entering Nm/rad as the unit, but it doesn't seem to work. Can someone help me with the units please? This is due on soon on my online homework. Thanks!
IMG_20160407_224817.jpg

Likes NickTesla
Physics news on Phys.org
Flinze said:

Homework Statement

The 500-mg balance wheel of a certain clock is made up of a thin metal ring of radius 16 mm connected by spokes of negligible mass to a fine suspension fiber as in(Figure 1) . The back-and-forth twisting of the fiber causes the wheel to move in simple harmonic motion with period T. The clock ticks four times each second, with the interval between ticks equal to T/2.

a) Determine the rotational inertia I of the balance wheel.

b) What is the torsional constant of the fiber that drives the balance wheel?

The Attempt at a Solution

I figured out part a) but I can't seem to get the units correct for part b)? I've tried entering Nm/rad as the unit, but it doesn't seem to work. Can someone help me with the units please? This is due on soon on my online homework. Thanks!

You already know that ##ω=\sqrt{\frac{K}{I}}##, and the units of ω are rad/s and I is kg-m2.

Why haven't you done a dimensional analysis to find out what the units of K must be to satisfy the equation above?

Related to Find the Units of the Torsional Constant for a Balance Wheel

What is a unit for torsional constant?

A unit for torsional constant is a measurement used to describe the stiffness of a material when it is twisted.

What is the symbol for torsional constant?

The symbol for torsional constant is J.

What is the formula for calculating torsional constant?

The formula for calculating torsional constant is J = G * l / φ, where J is the torsional constant, G is the shear modulus of the material, l is the length of the material, and φ is the angle of twist.

What are some common units for torsional constant?

Some common units for torsional constant include Newton-meters per radian (Nm/rad), pound-inches per degree (lb-in/°), and pound-feet per degree (lb-ft/°).

Why is torsional constant important in engineering?

Torsional constant is important in engineering because it helps determine the strength and stability of materials when they are subjected to twisting forces. It is also used in the design of structures and machines that require resistance to torsion.