Find the Trace and Determinant

In summary: Yes, I agree. We should be able to find a general formula that does not depend on the specific matrices A and B. Let me think about this some more.
Oster
T:V -> V is linear.
V is finite vectorspace of dimension m^2.
T(M) = AMB where M is an mXm matrix and A, B are two fixed mXm matrices.
I want to find the trace and determinant of this transformation.
In the case where B is the indentity, I can show that the trace is m*tr(A) and the determinant is m*det(A). This is so because the matrix of this linear map can be written as an m^2Xm^2 matrix with a bunch of As on the diagonals. Do i proceed in the same way when B is not the identity? It looks complicated.
(Solving a few easy examples led me to believe that the trace and determinant is the same as in the special case...or maybe i chose bad matrices...)

Please HELP!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Uh...Is the formula for the trace (double summation over i,j from 1 to m) a(i,i)*b(i,j) ?
Is this supposed to be just a computational question? Am I missing something?

Oster said:
In the case where B is the indentity, I can show that the trace is m*tr(A) and the determinant is m*det(A). This is so because the matrix of this linear map can be written as an m^2Xm^2 matrix with a bunch of As on the diagonals. Do i proceed in the same way when B is not the identity? It looks complicated.
(Solving a few easy examples led me to believe that the trace and determinant is the same as in the special case...or maybe i chose bad matrices...)

Please HELP!

Oster said:
Uh...Is the formula for the trace (double summation over i,j from 1 to m) a(i,i)*b(i,j) ?
Is this supposed to be just a computational question? Am I missing something?

The trace of a square matrix is the sum of the entries on the main diagonal.
[tex]Tr(A) = \sum_{i = 1}^n a_{ii}[/tex]

The trace of a matrix and its determinant are generally different. For example, Tr(I2) = 2 and det(I2) = 1.

Yeah, I know what the trace of any square matrix is. When I said 'formula for the trace', I meant for the transformation I was talking about; T(M) = AMB A,B being fixed matrices, M being the input matrix and a(i,j) b(i,j) being the entries of the matrices A and B.
Is my formula correct?

Last edited:
Oster said:
In the case where B is the indentity, I can show that the trace is m*tr(A) and the determinant is m*det(A).
Is there some condition on M that you haven't mentioned? How can the trace and determinant not depend on the matrix M? For example, if M=0, the trace and determinant would be 0, but your expressions would be non-zero if tr(A)≠0.

This is so because the matrix of this linear map can be written as an m^2Xm^2 matrix with a bunch of As on the diagonals. Do i proceed in the same way when B is not the identity? It looks complicated.

Please HELP!

M is the vector being transformed! I'm talking about the trace and determinant of the transformation T! M is a variable coming from the set of mXm matrices. T transforms M by multiplying by two matrices A and B. I am not talking about det/trace of the product AMB! I am asking about the trace and determinant of the m^2 X m^2 matrix representing the transformation!

Vela, your question is equivalent to asking how the determinant and trace of a matrix is affected by the vector it multiplies.

I am angry! Grr!

Oops!

I used Mathematica to explicitly calculate the matrix for 3x3 matrices, and it looks like you should get that the trace is equal to tr(A)tr(B).

Last edited:
oh! Hmm, i'll check my work again. How do I go about finding the determinant though?
Should I be looking at eigenvalues?

about the trace, both our formulae seem to be wrong...

I'm not sure, but looking at eigenvalues sounds like a reasonable thing to do.

I'm only inferring what the result should be by working out special cases. You wrote above that if B=I, you thought the determinant should be m*det(A). Wouldn't it be det(A)m if you have a bunch of A's on the diagonal?

yes. det(A)^m. Sorry.
Even in the case where B is not the identity, the matrix of the transformation seems to be made up of identical(up to scalar multiplication) block matrices. But they are not restricted to the diagonal.

The formula for the trace looks like double summation a(i,i)*b(j,j)

This is what I see for the 2x2 case. I chose for my basis the matrices
\begin{align*}
M_1 &= \begin{pmatrix} 1 & 0 \\ 0 & 0 \end{pmatrix} \\
M_2 &= \begin{pmatrix} 0 & 1 \\ 0 & 0 \end{pmatrix} \\
M_3 &= \begin{pmatrix} 0 & 0 \\ 1 & 0 \end{pmatrix} \\
M_4 &= \begin{pmatrix} 0 & 0 \\ 0 & 1 \end{pmatrix}
\end{align*}In this basis, I found T represented by the matrix
\begin{pmatrix}
a_{11} b_{11} & a_{11} b_{21} & a_{12} b_{11} & a_{12} b_{21} \\
a_{11} b_{12} & a_{11} b_{22} & a_{12} b_{12} & a_{12} b_{22} \\
a_{21} b_{11} & a_{21} b_{21} & a_{22} b_{11} & a_{22} b_{21} \\
a_{21} b_{12} & a_{21} b_{22} & a_{22} b_{12} & a_{22} b_{22}
\end{pmatrix}So the trace appears to be tr(A)tr(B). Is this what you get?

Ah yes! It is tr(a)tr(b)!
But there has got to be a smarter way to do this question...

in the case where A,B are diagonalizable with eigenvalues xi and yi (i from 1 to m) you can show that the eigenvalues of the transformation will be of the form xi * yj (i,j from 1 to m). This can be shown by putting eigenvectors corresponding to a particular eigenvalue of B transpose as the rows of M and eigenvectors corresponding to a particular eigenvalue of A as the columns of M. (Note: the eigenvalues of B and B transpose are the same)

I don't know what to do if the eigenvectors of A or B don't exist.

Last edited:
Oster said:
Ah yes! It is tr(a)tr(b)!
But there has got to be a smarter way to do this question...

Extend the m^2xm^2 matrix expansion Vela gave you to higher dimensions. It splits up into mxm block matrices. Each block is an single element of A multiplied by the B matrix. It's an outer product (or a tensor product or Kronecker product). You can compute the trace by computing the trace of the blocks.

Last edited:
ok thanks!

Related to Find the Trace and Determinant

1. What is the purpose of finding the trace and determinant?

The trace and determinant are two mathematical operations used to analyze and describe matrices. The trace is the sum of the elements on the main diagonal of a square matrix, while the determinant is a value that represents the scaling factor of a matrix. These operations are useful in various fields such as physics, engineering, and computer science for solving systems of equations and understanding transformations.

2. How do you find the trace of a matrix?

To find the trace of a matrix, you simply add up all the values on the main diagonal. For example, if we have a 3x3 matrix A = [1 2 3; 4 5 6; 7 8 9], the trace would be 1+5+9 = 15. The trace is denoted by the symbol tr(A).

3. What is the formula for finding the determinant of a matrix?

The formula for finding the determinant of a 2x2 matrix A = [a b; c d] is ad - bc. For larger matrices, the formula involves expanding along any row or column and recursively finding the determinants of the smaller matrices until you reach a 2x2 matrix. The determinant is denoted by the symbol det(A).

4. What does the determinant tell us about a matrix?

The determinant tells us about the scaling factor of a matrix. A determinant of 0 indicates that the matrix is not invertible and has no inverse, while a determinant of 1 or -1 indicates that the matrix preserves the area or volume, respectively. A determinant of any other value indicates a general scaling of the matrix.

5. How are the trace and determinant related to the eigenvalues of a matrix?

The trace and determinant are related to the eigenvalues of a matrix through the characteristic equation. The determinant is equal to the product of all the eigenvalues, while the trace is equal to the sum of the eigenvalues. These values can be used to find the eigenvalues and eigenvectors of a matrix, which are important in solving systems of linear equations and understanding the behavior of linear transformations.