Find the surface of the generated volume

In summary, the region bounded by the graphs of the curves y=4√x, y=0, x=5, x=12 is revolved about the x-axis. a) Find the religion lateral surface area of the generated volume. b) Find the total surface area of the generated volume, including both ends.
sun1234

Homework Statement

The region bounded by the graphs of the curves y=4√x , y=0, x=5, x=12 is revolved about the x-axis.
a) Find the religion lateral surface area of the generated volume.
b) Find the total surface area of the generated volume, including both ends.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Part a:
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/kZIjTDFGufXqICfEMW2J0CpXFuQ8-OfRJlg91DQJRWZlCpsiCzfND45AYeYCfasTzAUca7ZFa9k=w1256-h843

Part b:

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/jguorhs3qoad_UbPduGEyBG79Y9WVLG0vPzC4YV6Y1sTNV-gbxczDdBbPKr-G5jIH3wO0g=w1256-h843

Thank you so much for taking time.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
sun1234 said:

Homework Statement

The region bounded by the graphs of the curves y=4√x , y=0, x=5, x=12 is revolved about the x-axis.
a) Find the religion lateral surface area of the generated volume.
b) Find the total surface area of the generated volume, including both ends.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Part a:
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/kZIjTDFGufXqICfEMW2J0CpXFuQ8-OfRJlg91DQJRWZlCpsiCzfND45AYeYCfasTzAUca7ZFa9k=w1256-h843
You have a mistake in the integral on the next to the last line of your first page. The radius is y, not x. Also, you have a typo where you wrote ##y = \frac 2 {\sqrt{x}}##. That should have been y', the derivative.
sun1234 said:
Part b:

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/jguorhs3qoad_UbPduGEyBG79Y9WVLG0vPzC4YV6Y1sTNV-gbxczDdBbPKr-G5jIH3wO0g=w1256-h843

Thank you so much for taking time.

Likes sun1234
The formula for arc length is ##2\pi\int{y\sqrt{1 + (y\prime)^{2}}\ dx}## which using that, I got that the arc length is ##8\pi\int{\sqrt{x+4}\ dx}##. The radius r changes with x! :wink:

Last edited:
Mark44 said:
You have a mistake in the integral on the next to the last line of your first page. The radius is y, not x. Also, you have a typo where you wrote ##y = \frac 2 {\sqrt{x}}##. That should have been y', the derivative.
I'm sorry. The question is correct. 2/√x is the derivative of 4√x.

sun1234 said:
I'm sorry. The question is correct. 2/√x is the derivative of 4√x.
Yes, I understand that. My comment was that you wrote ##y = \frac 2 {\sqrt{x}}## when you should have written ##y ' = \frac 2 {\sqrt{x}}##

More importantly, your integral is wrong. It should be
##2\pi \int_5^{12} y\sqrt{\frac{x + 4}{x}}dx##

Likes sun1234
Why is the radius y? I thought the radius is x or (x-5), I'm not not so sure though.

For a given x the cross-sections of the solid you're interested in are circles whose centre is at x & whose radii are ##4\sqrt x##.

Likes sun1234
sun1234 said:
Why is the radius y? I thought the radius is x or (x-5), I'm not not so sure though.
The curve is being rotated around the x-axis, so the radius is y.

Likes sun1234
Mark44 said:
The curve is being rotated around the x-axis, so the radius is y.
Oh yes, you're right. So I have to change the whole equation then.
fourier jr said:
For a given x the cross-sections of the solid you're interested in are circles whose centre is at x & whose radii are ##4\sqrt x##.
I really appreciate your help.

Related to Find the surface of the generated volume

1. What is the definition of "surface of the generated volume"?

The surface of the generated volume refers to the outer boundary or "skin" of a three-dimensional shape created by rotating a two-dimensional shape around an axis. It is the area that encloses the volume and can be measured in square units.

2. How is the surface of the generated volume calculated?

The surface of the generated volume can be calculated by using the formula 2πrh, where r is the radius of the base of the shape and h is the height of the shape. This formula applies to shapes such as cylinders, cones, and spheres. For more complex shapes, the surface can be approximated by dividing the shape into smaller, simpler shapes and using the appropriate formula for each.

3. What is the importance of finding the surface of the generated volume?

Finding the surface of the generated volume is important in various fields such as engineering, architecture, and manufacturing. It helps in determining the amount of material needed to create the shape, as well as calculating the strength and stability of the shape. It is also useful in creating accurate designs and models for construction and production purposes.

4. What are some real-world applications of finding the surface of the generated volume?

Real-world applications of finding the surface of the generated volume include designing and constructing structures such as buildings, bridges, and tunnels, creating molds for manufacturing products, and calculating the volume of liquids in containers. It is also used in the medical field for creating prosthetics and dental implants.

5. Are there any limitations to finding the surface of the generated volume?

There may be limitations to finding the surface of the generated volume for complex shapes or shapes with irregular curves. In these cases, the surface may need to be approximated using methods such as integration or numerical methods. Additionally, the accuracy of the calculation may be affected by the precision of the measurements and the assumptions made in the calculation.