Find the sum of a function given a series

In summary: Yes, the limits of integration. When you do substitution in definite integral, you should also transform those limits. When you do integration by parts, you should also transform the limits. When you do a substitution in multiple integral, you should also transform the limits.
chwala
Gold Member
Homework Statement
given ##g(x)=\frac {4^x} {4^x+2}##, find the value of ##g(o)+g(\frac {1} {2020})+g(\frac{2} {2020})+....g(1)##
Relevant Equations
series
since the first term is ##g(0)= \frac {1}{3}##
& last term is ##g(1)=\frac {4}{6}##
it follows that the ##\sum_{0}^1 g(x)##= ##\frac {1}{3}##+##\frac {4}{6}=1## is this correct?

Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
What do you mean by ##\sum_{0}^1 g(x)##? That string of symbols does not have an unambiguous, accepted meaning.

Perhaps you meant to write ##\sum_{x=0}^{2020} g\left(\frac x{2020}\right)##. If so then no, the sum will be greater than the sum of the first and last terms, because all terms are positive.

Likes Delta2
andrewkirk said:
What do you mean by ##\sum_{0}^1 g(x)##? That string of symbols does not have an unambiguous, accepted meaning.

Perhaps you meant to write ##\sum_{x=0}^{2020} g\left(\frac x{2020}\right)##. If so then no, the sum will be greater than the sum of the first and last terms, because all terms are positive.
noted, i see my mistake...how do i approach this...

i still do not get but one thing that i know is,
##g(0)=\frac {1}{3}##
##g(1/2020)=0.333##
##g(1000/2020)=0.498##
##g(1500/2020)=0.58##
##g(2000/2020)=0.663##
##g(2010/2020)=0.665##
##g(2020/2020)= 0.66666##...sum will start from ##{0.333...+...+0.6666...}##

Last edited:
Do you want to find the exact value of that sum or an approximation is good enough for this?
You can approximate the given sum by the integral $$\int_0^{2020} \frac{4^{\frac{x}{2020}}}{4^{\frac{x}{2020}}+2}dx$$ which looks scary but it isn't so hard afterall.

Last edited:
Delta2 said:
Do you want to find the exact value of that sum or an approximation is good enough for this?
You can approximate the given sum by the integral $$\int_0^{2020} \frac{4^{\frac{x}{2020}}}{4^{\frac{x}{2020}}+2}dx$$ which looks scary but it isn't so hard afterall.
I want the exact sum...so we have to integrate? we can't use the series sum approach?

using my ti-nspire i am getting sum=##1010##

chwala said:
using my ti-nspire i am getting sum=##1010##
Well that's the value of that integral too!. Maybe i was wrong and the integral is equal to the exact sum.

Wolfram alpha says that the sum is approximately equal to 1010.50 while the integral is exactly 1010.

chwala said:
I want the exact sum...so we have to integrate? we can't use the series sum approach?
Well I ,myself, don't seem to be able to find an exact expression for the sum $$\sum_{n=1}^{2020} \frac{4^{\frac{n}{2020}}}{4^{\frac{n}{2020}}+2}$$ that's why I thought to approximate it by a proper integral.
I think the approximation works because 2020 is quite large number, if we were looking for the sum of $$\sum_{n=1}^{k} \frac{4^{\frac{n}{k}}}{4^{\frac{n}{k}}+2}$$ for ##k=50 or 100## then the approximation would be quite off.

Last edited:
Likes chwala
wawawawawawawawa maths is not for the faint hearts...you spend hours on a problem, trying to figure out...:cool:

chwala said:
wawawawawawawawa maths is not for the faint hearts...you spend hours on a problem, trying to figure out...:cool:
I might be wrong but I think we can't find a closed form for this sum (like for example we can find a closed form for the sum ##\sum_{k=1}^n k^2##). Best we can do is approximate it by integral. I believe that is what it was intended by the problem's giver, that's why he gave the sum as a function of x, to inspire us into using integral.

I still might be wrong..

Likes chwala
could you share your step by step working of the integral? i am ending up with this, as one of my steps...
##\int_0^{2020} \frac {u}{u^2-2u-8},du## where ##u=4^{x/2020}##

Your substitution for ##u=4^{\frac{x}{2020}}## seems correct but the expression you got doesn't seem correct to me. After such substitution you should get that ##du=\frac{\ln4}{2020}udx## so I think the integral transforms to ##\frac{\ln 4}{2020}\int\frac{du}{u+2}##.

Delta2 said:
Your substitution for ##u=4^{\frac{x}{2020}}## seems correct but the expression you got doesn't seem correct to me. After such substitution you should get that ##du=\frac{\ln4}{2020}udx## so I think the integral transforms to ##\frac{\ln 4}{2020}\int\frac{du}{u+2}##.
let me check my working again...

1589960829094.png

a colleague managed to solve it...

Likes Delta2
Ah very elegant indeed, using a "Gauss method" and first noticing the ##g(x)+g(1-x)=1## equation.

Delta2 said:
something i am not getting here,
now, letting ##u=4^{x/2020}##
##ln u= \frac {x}{2020} ln 4##
##\frac {d}{dx} (ln u)=\frac {d}{dx}[\frac {x}{2020} ln 4]##
it follow that
##\frac{du}{dx}=\frac {ln 4}{2020}##.##u## ...

now from the above step, how did you transform to get the integral term in post 14?...

If you just plug ##u=4^{\frac{x}{2020}}## into the integral, the integral becomes
$$\int \frac{u}{u+2} dx (1)$$

you also have ##du=\frac{\ln 4}{2020}u dx## as you correctly calculate at post #18. We can rewrite this as $$\frac{2020}{\ln 4}du=udx(2)$$

By inserting into (1) the expression for ##udx## by (2) we come to
$$\int \frac{2020}{\ln 4} \frac{du}{u+2}$$

Sorry I was wrong at post #14 about the multiplicative constant, I should have inverse it.

You should always not forget to transform the boundaries of integration when you do change of variable in definite integral. I didnt do this in the above (i omit the boundaries) but you should do it.

Delta2 said:
If you just plug ##u=4^{\frac{x}{2020}}## into the integral, the integral becomes
$$\int \frac{u}{u+2} dx (1)$$

you also have ##du=\frac{\ln 4}{2020}u dx## as you correctly calculate at post #18. We can rewrite this as $$\frac{2020}{\ln 4}du=udx(2)$$

By inserting into (1) the expression for ##udx## by (2) we come to
$$\int \frac{2020}{\ln 4} \frac{du}{u+2}$$

Sorry I was wrong at post #14 about the multiplicative constant, I should have inverse it.

You should always not forget to transform the boundaries of integration when you do change of variable in definite integral. I didnt do this in the above (i omit the boundaries) but you should do it.
yeah, that was a bit confusing...now i think it should be fine...by boundaries you mean the limits of integration?

i got it thanks for your time , the limits are from ##u=1## to ##u=4##, plugging on the indefinite integral yields the desired value ##1010##

Likes Delta2
i got it long time ago using the limits ##u=1## and ##u=4## to give us the desired ##1010## value. Thanks for your input. Bingo! :biggrin:

Likes Delta2
The forum is bugging today, I don't seem to get alerts when someone posts a new message in the threads which I ' ve posted.

• Haha
Likes chwala

Related to Find the sum of a function given a series

What is the purpose of finding the sum of a function given a series?

The purpose of finding the sum of a function given a series is to determine the total value of the function over a specific range of inputs. This can help in analyzing the behavior and trends of the function, as well as making predictions and solving real-world problems.

What is the process for finding the sum of a function given a series?

The process for finding the sum of a function given a series involves adding up all the terms in the series, starting from the first term and continuing until the last term. This can be done manually or with the help of mathematical formulas and techniques.

What are some common techniques for finding the sum of a function given a series?

Some common techniques for finding the sum of a function given a series include using the arithmetic or geometric series formulas, using the summation notation, and using the properties of series such as linearity and telescoping.

What are the key factors to consider when finding the sum of a function given a series?

When finding the sum of a function given a series, it is important to consider the type of series (arithmetic, geometric, etc.), the range of inputs, and any patterns or relationships between the terms of the series. It is also important to check for convergence or divergence of the series.

How is finding the sum of a function given a series useful in real-world applications?

Finding the sum of a function given a series can be useful in various real-world applications such as calculating total cost or revenue, determining average values, and solving optimization problems. It can also help in analyzing data and making predictions in fields such as finance, economics, and physics.