Find the square root of (-2-3)^2?

In the complex plane, there are two numbers, ##z=5## and ##z=-5##, whose square is 25. In the real line, there are two numbers, ##z=5## and ##z=-5##, whose square is 25. But in the real line, there is only one number ##z = \sqrt{25} = 5## which squares to 25.
parshyaa
Root of (-2-3) ^2 = -5 ( because root of squared number is the number itself) but alsoo square of (-2-3) is 25 and its root is (+5) /(-5). Therefore what is the correct answer and reason . I think it is -5(google answer is Also -5) but I don't have any reason. Please help me

Mathematics news on Phys.org
parshyaa said:
( because root of squared number is the number itself)
It is not, as your example shows. It is the magnitude of the number.

Both answers 5 and -5 are correct for the square root of (-5)^2.

But to be more accurate when you want the square root of a number , you have to state if you want the negative or the positive square root.

When we just say "square root" we mean by convention the positive square root, so it is "a bit more correct" to say that the (positive) square root of (-5)^2 is 5.

Delta² said:
Both answers 5 and -5 are correct for the square root of (-5)^2.

No. This is very wrong. The square root of any number is positive. So the square root of ##(-5)^2## is ##5##.

micromass said:
No. This is very wrong. The square root of any number is positive. So the square root of ##(-5)^2## is ##5##.
As long as you are in the real domain, yes. In the complex domain both +5 and -5 are the square roots of 25 (since there are no "positive numbers").

Likes parshyaa and Delta2
Svein said:
As long as you are in the real domain, yes. In the complex domain both +5 and -5 are the square roots of 25 (since there are no "positive numbers").

This is a common definition of the square root in complex numbers, but I don't necessarily agree with it. The problem is that it would make the square root no longer a function, which is undesirable. This is usually fixed by defining a principal square root which only evaluates to ##5## and which has a branch cut (in the same way, our square root in ##\mathbb{R}## is a principal square root too). A nicer solution exists when you go to Riemann surfaces though.

Likes QuantumQuest and parshyaa
micromass said:
A nicer solution exists when you go to Riemann surfaces though.
That was in my mind, yes.

Likes parshyaa
Okk I got it, answer is +/- 5 but we take 5 because of conventional use

It is standard to use the positive square root of a positive number. In complex analysis, that is called the "principle value" of the square root. The negative value will work but it is not the principle value.

EDIT: If you are doing your own work and taking a square root, you should often consider both the positive and negative values. If both might work, indicate that with ±√. If only the positive should be considered, indicate that with √. If only the negative should be considered, indicate that with -√. In all cases, √ just indicates the positive value.

Last edited:
Likes jedishrfu, parshyaa and Delta2
micromass said:
This is a common definition of the square root in complex numbers, but I don't necessarily agree with it. The problem is that it would make the square root no longer a function, which is undesirable. This is usually fixed by defining a principal square root which only evaluates to ##5## and which has a branch cut (in the same way, our square root in ##\mathbb{R}## is a principal square root too). A nicer solution exists when you go to Riemann surfaces though.
But [itex] z^{2}=25\Leftrightarrow z^{2}-25=0 \Leftrightarrow (z+5)\cdot (z-5)=0[/itex]...

parshyaa said:
Root of (-2-3) ^2 = -5 ( because root of squared number is the number itself) but also the square of (-2-3) is 25 and its root is (+5) /(-5). Therefore what is the correct answer and reason . I think it is -5(google answer is Also -5) but I don't have any reason. Please help me
If you had asked more symbolically, "What is ##\ \sqrt{(-2-3) ^2\,}\, ?\,##" then assuming your context was real rather than complex numbers, the answer would be simply, ##\ \sqrt{(-2-3) ^2\,}=5\ .\ ## In the context of real numbers, the ##\ \sqrt{\ \ } \ ## symbol represents the "principle value" of the square root, as pointed out by FactChecker and others.

Moreover, ##\ \sqrt{x^2\,}=|x| \ ## and not ##\ x\ .\ ## This is often surprising to students. So, the square root of a squared number is not necessarily the number itself.

Likes parshyaa
Svein said:
But [itex] z^{2}=25\Leftrightarrow z^{2}-25=0 \Leftrightarrow (z+5)\cdot (z-5)=0[/itex]...
"Find the square root of 25" and "Find all numbers that square to 25" are different mathematical questions. Solving ##z^{2}=25## is the latter. The former is ##z = \sqrt{25}##.

Likes Mark44 and parshyaa

Related to Find the square root of (-2-3)^2?

1. What is the square root of (-2-3)^2?

The square root of (-2-3)^2 is 5.

2. Can the square root of a negative number be a real number?

No, the square root of a negative number cannot be a real number. This is because when a negative number is squared, it becomes a positive number. Therefore, the square root of a negative number would require taking the square root of a negative number, which is not possible in real numbers.

3. Why is the square root of (-2-3)^2 a positive number?

The square root of a number always gives the positive value of the number. In this case, (-2-3)^2 is equal to 25, so the square root is 5.

4. Can you simplify the expression (-2-3)^2 to find the square root?

Yes, (-2-3)^2 can be simplified to 25 before finding the square root. This is because the square of a negative number is always positive.

5. How do you find the square root of (-2-3)^2?

To find the square root of (-2-3)^2, first simplify the expression to 25. Then, take the square root of 25, which is 5. So, the square root of (-2-3)^2 is 5.