Find the slope of the tangent at the given angle theta

Either way, you will get the formula you need.In summary, the slope of the tangent line to the polar curve R = 1/θ at the point θ = π is given by the formula (dR/dθsinθ+Rcosθ/dR/dθcosθ-Rsinθ). When plugging in the values given, the correct answer is -π, which can be obtained by properly substituting the value of R and using the correct formula for finding the slope in polar coordinates.
Calpalned

Homework Statement

Find the slope of the tangent line to the give polar curve at the point specified by the value of theta
R = 1/θ, θ = π

Homework Equations

Slope of a polar equation is (dR/dθsinθ+Rcosθ/dR/dθcosθ-Rsinθ)

The Attempt at a Solution

Using my calculator, I plugged π for θ, -.101 for DR/Dtheta (after differentiating R) and R = 1/π
I got π/12 as my answer, but the correct answer is -π. Why am I off by a factor of 12?

Physics news on Phys.org
Calpalned said:

Homework Statement

Find the slope of the tangent line to the give polar curve at the point specified by the value of theta
R = 1/θ, θ = π

Homework Equations

Using my calculator, I plugged π for θ, -.101 for DR/Dtheta (after differentiating R) and R = 1/π
I got π/12 as my answer, but the correct answer is -π. Why am I off by a factor of 12?

You'll need to show the details of how you got π/12. I don't see where the factor of 12 could come from.

Calpalned said:

Homework Statement

R = 1/θ, θ = π

Homework Equations

Your formula is pretty much unreadable. I have no idea what this means.
[QUOTE="Calpalned"

I got π/12 as my answer, but the correct answer is -π. Why am I off by a factor of 12?[/QUOTE]
In general we have x = rcos(θ) and y = rsin(θ). Differentiate both with respect to θ to get dy/dx. When I do this, I get the answer you're supposed to get.

[itex]\frac{(dr/dθ)sinθ + rcosθ}{(dr/dθ)cosθ - rsinθ}
frac{(dr/dθ)sinθ + rcosθ}{(dr/dθ)cosθ - rsinθ}
[itex]\frac{([itex]\frac{dr}{dθ}sinθ + rcosθ}{([itex]\frac{dr}{dθ}cosθ - rsinθ}
[itex]frac(dr)

Calpalned said:
##\frac{(dr/dθ)sinθ + rcosθ}{(dr/dθ)cosθ - rsinθ}##
Fixed.
What I typed was # #\frac{(dr/dθ)sinθ + rcosθ}{(dr/dθ)cosθ - rsinθ}# # (with no extra spaces between the # pairs).

The LaTeX tags come in pairs, with [ itex ] or [ tex ] at the beginning, and [ /itex ] or [ /tex ] at the end (omit the extra spaces. I prefer to use # # at beginning and end (again without the extra spaces, for inline LaTeX, or $ $ at beginning and end for standalone stuff.

You have r = 1/θ. When you write x = r cos(θ) and y = r sin(θ), replace r in each equation by 1/θ. Then take your derivatives. Alternatively, you could calculate dr/dθ from r = 1/θ.

Related to Find the slope of the tangent at the given angle theta

What does "Find the slope of the tangent at the given angle theta" mean?

The slope of the tangent at a given angle theta refers to the rate of change of a curve at a specific point, where theta represents the angle formed between the tangent line and the x-axis.

Why is it important to find the slope of the tangent?

The slope of the tangent is important because it helps us understand the behavior of a curve at a specific point. It can also be used to find the rate of change or the velocity of an object at a particular moment.

How do you find the slope of the tangent at a given angle theta?

To find the slope of the tangent at a given angle theta, we use the derivative of the function at that point. The derivative is equal to the slope of the tangent line at that point.

What is the difference between the slope of the tangent and the slope of a secant?

The slope of the tangent is the instantaneous rate of change at a specific point, while the slope of a secant is the average rate of change between two points on a curve. The slope of the tangent can be found using the derivative, while the slope of a secant is calculated using the slope formula.

Can the slope of the tangent be negative?

Yes, the slope of the tangent can be negative. It depends on the direction of the curve at that point. If the curve is decreasing, the slope of the tangent will be negative, and if the curve is increasing, the slope of the tangent will be positive.