Find the projection of W onto v for

• Thread starter Jamin2112
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Projection
In summary, the given vector v and subspace W have an equation for projection, but it only applies to vectors. If you want to project a vector onto a subspace, you need to generate an orthogonal basis for that subspace and then use that basis to project the vector onto it.
Jamin2112

Homework Statement

the given vector v and subspace W.

(a)
Let W be the subspace with basis {(1 1 0 1)T, (0 1 1 0)T, (-1 0 0 1)T} and v = (2 1 4 0)T.

Homework Equations

ProjWv = (<W, v> / <W, W>) * W

The Attempt at a Solution

So I'm trying to wrap my head around this problem by imaging a simpler setup, say, v = (2 1)T and W = span{(1 0)T, (0 1)T}. Visually I see a plane in R2 with the vector (2 1)T sticking out and then any other vector in R2 projected upon it. As for the formula for projection, I'm not sure how I can input a subspace W, an infinite set of vectors. What's up with that? Where do I go?

Physics news on Phys.org
That projection formula only holds for vectors since, like you've noted, there's not an inner product for subspaces.

However, you CAN use that formula to project onto a subspace if you have an orthogonal basis. So, generate an orthogonal basis for W and then project v onto each of those vectors. Then add up the results.

stringy said:
That projection formula only holds for vectors since, like you've noted, there's not an inner product for subspaces.

However, you CAN use that formula to project onto a subspace if you have an orthogonal basis. So, generate an orthogonal basis for W and then project v onto each of those vectors. Then add up the results.

Will do. By the way, do you know of any orthonormal basis calculators/applets? I couldn't find any through Google.

Yeah, calculating ONBs is not fun. I know some computer systems can do it, like Mathematica. I don't know of anything on the web though. However, if you're using the projection formula as you have it written, the basis vectors don't have to be unit length. If you wrote

[tex] proj_w \ v = <v,w>, [/tex]

with basis vector w, THEN they'd have to be unit length.

So you only need an orthogonal basis. And those basis vectors that you wrote are already almost an orthogonal basis!

Related to Find the projection of W onto v for

1. What is the meaning of "projection" in this context?

"Projection" refers to the process of finding the component of one vector that lies in the direction of another vector. In this case, we are trying to find the component of vector W that lies in the direction of vector v.

2. How is the projection of W onto v calculated?

The projection of W onto v is calculated using the formula: projvW = (W ⋅ v / ||v||2) ⋅ v, where ⋅ represents the dot product and ||v||2 is the squared magnitude of vector v.

3. What is the purpose of finding the projection of W onto v?

Finding the projection of W onto v can help us understand the relationship between the two vectors and can be useful in various applications such as vector decomposition, motion analysis, and signal processing.

4. Can the projection of W onto v be negative?

Yes, the projection of W onto v can be negative if the angle between the two vectors is greater than 90 degrees. This indicates that the component of W in the direction of v is in the opposite direction of v.

5. Is the projection of W onto v the same as the vector projection of W onto v?

Yes, the projection of W onto v and the vector projection of W onto v refer to the same concept and can be used interchangeably.