Find the points on a horizontal line

In summary, to find all the points on the graph of the function f(x) = 2 sin(x) + (sin(x))^2 at which the tangent line is horizontal, we need to set the derivative f'(x) equal to 0 and solve for x. This gives us two possible values, (3π)/2 and π/2, which can be verified as relative maxima on the graph. Visually, this can be seen as the points where the tangent line is horizontal.
ahazen
Question: Find all points on the graph of the function f(x) = 2 sin(x) + (sin(x))2 at which the tangent line is horizontal. Consider the domain x = [0,2π).

f'(x)=2cos x+2sinxcosx...i think

No idea where to go after this...

Physics news on Phys.org
Ok, if the tangent line is horizontal, what does f'(x) have to be?

f'(x)=2cosx +2sinx*(sinx)d/dx
=2cosx +2sinx*cosx
=cos (2+2sinx)

Hi there, the first thing that I would do is to factor out the 2cos(x).

1. 2cosx(sinx + 1) = 0

Note that this has to be equal to zero because when a tangent line is horizontal it has to be zero.

So all you have to do is find when sinx = -1 OR cosx = 0 on [0,2π)
So x can either be (3π)/2 (that's when sin(x) = -1) or π/2 (that's when cos(x) = 0).

I double checked this with my graphing calculator and these points are also the relative maxima, where the tangent line is 0.

Thank you so much:) I really appreciate it:)

And just to show it it visually so you can fully understand:[PLAIN]http://img818.imageshack.us/img818/2223/mathp.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh, ok:) that makes sense:) Thank you:)

Related to Find the points on a horizontal line

1. How do you find the points on a horizontal line?

To find the points on a horizontal line, you need to consider the equation of a horizontal line, which is y = constant. This means that the y-coordinate of all the points on the line will be the same, while the x-coordinate can vary.

2. What is the slope of a horizontal line?

The slope of a horizontal line is 0. This is because the slope is a measure of how steep a line is, and a horizontal line has no steepness as it is parallel to the x-axis.

3. Can a horizontal line have any equation other than y = constant?

No, a horizontal line can only have the equation y = constant. This is because the definition of a horizontal line is that all points on the line have the same y-coordinate, and any other equation would result in different y-coordinates.

4. How many points are needed to determine a horizontal line?

Only two points are needed to determine a horizontal line. This is because any two points on a horizontal line will have the same y-coordinate, and therefore, the line can be uniquely defined.

5. How can you graph a horizontal line?

To graph a horizontal line, you need to plot two points with the same y-coordinate and then connect them with a straight line. Alternatively, you can also use the slope-intercept form of a line, y = mx + b, and set the slope (m) to 0, and the y-intercept (b) to the desired y-coordinate.