Find the Maximum Mass for Riding a Swing

In summary, the swing is made from a rope with a maximum tension tolerance of 800N. It is initially hanging vertically and then pulled back at an angle of 60.0 degrees with respect to the vertical before being released. The maximum mass of the person who can ride the swing can be found using the equations Fc=mv^2/r and conservation of energy. Using these equations, the maximum mass is determined to be 40.8kg.
overside

Homework Statement

A swing is made from a rope that will tolerate a maximum
tension of 800N without breaking. Initially, the swing
hangs vertically. The swing is then pulled back at an
angle of 60.0 degree with respect to the vertical and
released from rest. What is the mass of the heaviest
person who can ride the swing?

Homework Equations

Fc = mv^2/r
trig ratios

The Attempt at a Solution

I initially just thought of doing 800N / 9.81m/s^2 which give 81.5kg or so but i thought that was too easy and can't be right so I did some more complex stuff:

using unit circle:
r = sin60r = 0.5r

Fc = mv^2/r
I forgot how but i somehow ended up in the step below, where 0.5r cancels out and in the end and the end result goes back to m = 800/9.81
800 = (9.81m(0.5r))/0.5r

still pretty sure that is wrong and I am really lost, so help please o;

Physics news on Phys.org
The swing is basically, undergoing motion in a vertical circle. So for this to happen, at every instant the swing needs a radially inward component of the net force(centripetal) which is equal to mv^2/R.

Now it is crucial in this problem that you understand, the tension in the string will be maximum, when it is at, the lowest point in it's motion, I.e when weight and tension are anti parallel.

So at this instant,

T - mg= mv^2/RNow you want to know the maximum mass of the person, so put the maximum value in for the tension.

Use conservation of energy to find v^2 and solve the above eqn for m

At what point after release will the tension in the rope be the greatest? Once you decide on that, then draw a free body diagram of the weight on the swing noting all forces. Relate those forces to the tension in the rope. From the sound of the problem statement, I assume this is a one rope swing.

The problem can be worked from an energy standpoint or from the acceleration of a mass as it is affected by gravity. I don't know which subject you are studying.

Ok so I made some progress from all the help you guys give and now I am at :

T - mg = mv^2/r

mgh = 1/2mv^2
v^2 = 2gh

and since i figured h was 0.5r so:

v^2 = 9.81r

replacing that in initial yields:
800 - 9.81m = 9.81rm/r
800 = 19.62m
m = 40.8kg

DID I DO IT RIGHT?

Looks good to me.

Related to Find the Maximum Mass for Riding a Swing

1. What is the maximum mass that can be safely accommodated on a swing?

The maximum mass that can be safely accommodated on a swing depends on a few factors such as the strength of the swing's materials, the length of the swing's ropes, and the weight distribution of the person on the swing. Generally, swings are designed to support a maximum weight of around 200-250 pounds.

2. How does the length of the swing's ropes affect the maximum mass for riding?

The length of the swing's ropes can affect the maximum mass for riding in two ways. First, longer ropes allow for a wider arc of motion, which can increase the force on the swing and potentially decrease the maximum mass that can be safely accommodated. However, longer ropes also allow for a slower swinging motion, which can decrease the force and potentially increase the maximum mass that can be safely accommodated.

3. Are there any safety measures that can increase the maximum mass for riding a swing?

Yes, there are a few safety measures that can increase the maximum mass for riding a swing. One is to regularly inspect the swing and its components to ensure they are in good condition and can support the weight. Another is to use a swing with a wider seat to distribute the weight more evenly. Additionally, using a swing designed for adults rather than children can also increase the maximum weight capacity.

4. Can the maximum mass for riding a swing vary for different types of swings?

Yes, the maximum mass for riding a swing can vary for different types of swings. For example, a traditional playground swing may have a lower weight capacity than a heavy-duty porch swing. Additionally, swings with additional features like a canopy or reclining seat may have a lower weight capacity due to their design.

5. What happens if the maximum mass for riding a swing is exceeded?

If the maximum mass for riding a swing is exceeded, it can put excessive strain on the swing's materials and potentially cause it to break. This can result in injuries to the rider or bystanders. It is important to always follow the recommended weight capacity for a swing to ensure the safety of everyone using it.