Find the maximum deflection of the spring

In summary: Instead, the equation should be 0.5mv^2 = mgh1 - Fd, where d is the distance traveled by the collar along the inclined rod. To find d, you can use trigonometry and the given angle of 27 degrees. Then, solve for v to get the velocity of the collar when it hits the spring. To find x, use the equation F = -kx and solve for x using the known values of F, k, and the maximum deflection of the spring. In summary, to solve this problem, you need to use the equations for conservation of energy and Hooke's law to find the velocity and maximum deflection of the collar and spring system.
Northbysouth

Homework Statement

The 3.8-kg collar is released from rest at A and slides down the inclined fixed rod in the vertical plane. The coefficient of kinetic friction is 0.51. Calculate (a) the velocity v of the collar as it strikes the spring and (b) the maximum deflection x of the spring.

I have attached an image of the question.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I was able to find the velocity of the collar with:

U1 + K1 = U2 + K2 + F

K1 and U2 are 0

F is the friction force

0.5mv2 = mgh1 - F

Drawing a FBD of the collar shows that the Normal force (F = ukN):

N = mgsin(27)

0.5(3.8kg)v2 = (3.8kg)(9.81 m/s2)(0.57sin(63)) - (0.51)(0.57m)(3.8kg)(9.81m/s2)sin(27)

Solving for v gives me:

v = 2.7157

I can't seem to find the displacement of the spring though.

I realize that F = -kx and I need to find F to get x.

Looking at the practice question (identical scenario but different numbers) led me to believe that the answer should be:

F = mg - mgsin(27)

x = sqrt[mg-ukmgsin(27)/2700]

x = 103 mm
But it says this isn't correct and I'm not sure where I'm making my mistake.

Help is appreciated.

Attachments

• dyn 3.109.png
    dyn 3.109.png
    16.6 KB · Views: 1,076
Physics news on Phys.org
Northbysouth said:
U1 + K1 = U2 + K2 + F

Note that force and energy have different dimensions, so they can't be added together.

Related to Find the maximum deflection of the spring

1. What is the maximum deflection of a spring?

The maximum deflection of a spring is the point at which the spring is fully compressed or stretched to its limit, and it cannot stretch or compress any further without breaking.

2. How is the maximum deflection of a spring calculated?

The maximum deflection of a spring can be calculated using Hooke's Law, which states that the deflection of a spring is directly proportional to the applied force. The equation for maximum deflection is: x = F/k, where x is the maximum deflection, F is the applied force, and k is the spring constant.

3. What factors affect the maximum deflection of a spring?

The maximum deflection of a spring is affected by its material, length, diameter, and number of coils. A thicker and shorter spring with a higher number of coils will have a higher maximum deflection, while a thinner and longer spring with fewer coils will have a lower maximum deflection.

4. How does the maximum deflection of a spring impact its performance?

The maximum deflection of a spring is an important factor in determining its performance. A spring with a higher maximum deflection can absorb more energy and is more resistant to fatigue and permanent deformation. On the other hand, a spring with a lower maximum deflection may fail to perform its intended function.

5. Can the maximum deflection of a spring be changed?

Yes, the maximum deflection of a spring can be changed by altering its physical properties. For example, increasing the spring's length, diameter, or number of coils can increase its maximum deflection. Additionally, applying heat treatment or changing the material can also affect the maximum deflection of a spring.