Finding the maximum displacement of a vertical spring using energy conservation

In summary, a mass of 0.36kg hangs motionless from a vertical spring with a length of 0.8m and an unstretched length of 0.51m. When pulled down to a length of 1.09m and given an initial speed upwards of 1.2m/s, the maximum length of the spring during the resulting motion is 1.11m. This can be found by setting the potential energy of the spring equal to the kinetic energy of the mass and solving for the maximum displacement, which is found to be 0.5974m. This corresponds to a length of 1.11m, which is the maximum length of the spring during the motion that follows.
Westin

Homework Statement

A mass of 0.36kg hangs motionless from a vertical spring whose length is 0.8m and whose unstretched length is 0.51m. Next, the mass is pulled down to where the spring has a length of 1.09m and given an initial speed upwards of 1.2m[PLAIN]https://s3.lite.msu.edu/adm/jsMath/fonts/cmmi10/alpha/144/char3D.pngs. What is the maximum length of the spring during the motion that follows?

Maximum length=

Homework Equations

F = k*y
1/2*k*A^2[/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

k = F/y = m*g/y = 0.36kg*9.8m/s^2/(0.8m - 0.51) = 12.17793N/m

Energy is conserved

Let A be the maximum displacement

So 1/2*k*A^2 = 1/2*k*(1.09 - 0.51)^2 + 1/2*m*v^2

so A = sqrt((1.09 - 0.51)^2 + m/k*v^2) = sqrt((1.09 -0.51)^2 + 0.36/12.18*1.2^2) = 0.5974m

So the length will be 0.51 + 0.5974m = 1.11m

I only have one attempt wrong, Cant find the error..[/B]

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
You only have two relevant equations -- if I count the second as an equation: spring potential energy = 1/2 k x2.

You also use a third one: kinetic energy = 1/2 m v2.

You forget a fourth one. Yet another energy...:wink:Oh, and: perhaps you want to check "1/2*k*(1.09 - 0.51)^2" which doesn't look right to me. At what point do you expect there is no energy stored in the spring ? And is that the top position, or is that the middle between top and bottom of the oscillation ?

Last edited:
Would it be 1/2*k*(1.09 - 0.8)^2 and 1/2*k*(.8 - 0.51)^2

I do you KE=1/2 mv^2 I thought? I'm confused on what else there could be.

Check your energy approach with the following:
Hold the weight at spring unextended length 0.51 m and let go. How far will it drop until it will go up again (i.e. v = 0)
Would you do ##{1\over 2} kx^2 = {1\over 2} mv^2= 0 ## to find x ?

Related to Finding the maximum displacement of a vertical spring using energy conservation

What is the definition of "Spring Maximum Length"?

"Spring Maximum Length" refers to the maximum length of a spring when it is extended to its full potential without breaking or losing its elasticity.

How is "Spring Maximum Length" measured?

"Spring Maximum Length" is typically measured by hanging the spring vertically and measuring the distance from the top of the spring to the bottom when it is fully extended.

What factors affect the "Spring Maximum Length"?

The "Spring Maximum Length" can be affected by various factors such as the type of material the spring is made of, the diameter and thickness of the wire used to make the spring, and the amount of weight or force applied to the spring.

Why is "Spring Maximum Length" important?

Knowing the "Spring Maximum Length" is important in various industries, such as engineering, where springs are used in machinery and structures. It helps determine the appropriate size and strength of a spring needed for a specific application.

Can the "Spring Maximum Length" be changed?

The "Spring Maximum Length" is determined by the physical properties of the spring and cannot be changed. However, the maximum length can be adjusted by altering the design or composition of the spring.