Find The Max Velocity (using coefficient of friction)

In summary: Yes, I know the formula for centripetal force, given m, v and r. It is Fcent = (mv^2)/(r^2). In summary, the mass can go up to a maximum velocity of 908 m/s without canceling out the force of friction.
bauncncai

Homework Statement

If a mass of 609 kg travels in a circle with a radius of 102 m, and the μ= .13, and the acceleration of gravity is 9.8 m/s^2. What is the max velocity that the mass can go without canceling out the force of friction?

Homework Equations

?

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't know I could really use some help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Must be horizontal motion (normal to circle is vertical).

OK, then, what is meant by 'static friction'?

Last edited:
static friction vs. kinetic friction. static being the force needed to get the object moving, and kinetic the force needed to keep the object in motion (always less then static)

my biggest issue is finding the right combination of equations to use...

any help?

OK, so how much force can we apply to the mass before it starts to slide away from its circular path?

(I hope you know the rules of this forum. We don't just do your work for you. If we did you'd learn nothing. We try to nudge you in the right direction and expect you to do your part as we go).

Yes of course I know that! I understand the question completely I don't need any help interpreting it, the problems are very do-able, but as I said I need help on finding out the right equation to use since there are so many. Just a simple reference to the name of some equations would help... This particular homework was already due, but I'd still like to be able to solve it.

I know since the mass is 609 kg, and the acceleration of gravity is 908 m/s^2 then the force of gravity on the mass is 5968.2 N, and I think that also means the force normal, is also 5968.2 N since those are the only two forces acting in the y direction.

I also know that Force of friction = μ times the force normal, so I think I can use the above magnitude, but I'm not sure if that's right. Also, where does the velocity equation come in?

Good. So the centripetal force is needed to keep the mass from flying tangentially off the table. And that force is provided by static friction. You already know that Fstatic friction = μW, do you know the formula for centripetal force, given m, v and r?

Last edited:

Related to Find The Max Velocity (using coefficient of friction)

1. How do you calculate the maximum velocity using coefficient of friction?

The maximum velocity can be calculated using the equation v = sqrt(u*g*R*C), where u is the coefficient of friction, g is the acceleration due to gravity, R is the radius of the object, and C is the centripetal force.

2. What is the significance of coefficient of friction in finding the max velocity?

The coefficient of friction measures the amount of friction between two surfaces. In the context of finding the max velocity, it is used to calculate the maximum speed at which an object can travel without losing traction and slipping.

3. How does the coefficient of friction affect the maximum velocity?

A higher coefficient of friction means there is greater resistance to motion, which results in a lower maximum velocity. On the other hand, a lower coefficient of friction allows for a higher maximum velocity as there is less resistance to motion.

4. What are the factors that can affect the coefficient of friction?

The coefficient of friction can be affected by various factors such as the nature of the surfaces in contact, the smoothness of the surfaces, the weight of the object, and the presence of any lubricants or contaminants on the surfaces.

5. Can the coefficient of friction be greater than 1?

Yes, the coefficient of friction can be greater than 1. This means that the frictional force is greater than the force pushing the two surfaces together. It is important to note that a coefficient of friction greater than 1 is not physically possible and is usually a result of experimental error.