Find the max and min using lagrange

In summary, the problem involves finding the maximum and minimum values of the function f(x,y,z) = x3 - y3 + 6z2 on the sphere x2 + y2 + z2 = 25. Using the Lagrange multipliers method, we set up the constraint equation F = f + λg, where g = x2 + y2 + z2 - 25, and take the derivatives to get a system of equations. Solving for λ and plugging in values, we find that there are 14 possible solutions, including 2 global maxima, 2 global minima, and 10 other points that could be local maxima, local minima, or saddle points. However, using
STEMucator
Homework Helper

Homework Statement

Find the max and min values of f(x,y,z) = x3 - y3 + 6z2 on the sphere x2 + y2 + z2 = 25.

Homework Equations

I will use λ to denote my Lagrange multipliers.

The Attempt at a Solution

So clearly there is no interior to examine since we are on the boundary of the sphere. Thus we form our constraint equation F = f + λg where g = x2 + y2 + z2 - 25.

After taking all the required derivatives and considering when the derivatives are zero we get the system of four equations :

x(3x + 2λ) = 0
y(-3y + 2λ) = 0
2z(6+λ) = 0
25 - x2 - z2 = y2

Solving the first and second equations immediately we get x = 0 and y = 0. Now solving the fourth equation we get z = ±5 and then solving the third equation when z = ±5 yields λ = -6. Also z = 0 is another solution to the third equation.

So I'm a bit stuck here. I have two maximum values occurring at (0,0,±5), but I'm apparently supposed to get minimum values at (-5,0,0) and (0,5,0).

So I'm guessing I would want to consider two cases? When x=0 and when y=0 to get the minimums?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Oh waaaaait. I see how to do this now I think...

x(3x + 2λ) = 0
y(-3y + 2λ) = 0
2z(6+λ) = 0
25 - x2 - z2 = y2

Solving the first equation gives λ = -3x/2.
Solving the second gives λ = 3x/2.
Solving the third gives λ = -1.

Case : λ = 3x/2

Solving equation 1 gives us x = 0. Solving equation 2 we get y = 0. Solving equation 3 gives z = 0. Solving equation 4 we get z = ± 5

Giving us the points (0,0,0) and (0,0,±5).

Case : λ = -3x/2

Solving equation one gives nothing. Solving equation 2 gives y = 0 and y = -x or -y = x.
Solving equation 3 with y = -x we get y = -4 and z = 0. Solving equation 4 with y=0 and z = 0 gives x = ±5.

Giving us the points (±5,0,0).

Case : λ = -1

Solving equation one gives us x = 3/2 and x = 0. Solving equation two gives us y = 0 and y = -3/2. We are given z = 0 in equation 3. Solving equation 4 with x = z = 0 gives us y = ±5.

Yielding the points (0,±5,0).

Then I would simply test which points satisfy the constraint equation x2 + y2 + z2 = 25.

So for example (0,0,0) would not be a max or min because it lies in the interior of the sphere.

Is this what I was supposed to do?

Zondrina said:
Oh waaaaait. I see how to do this now I think...

x(3x + 2λ) = 0
y(-3y + 2λ) = 0
2z(6+λ) = 0
25 - x2 - z2 = y2

Solving the first equation gives λ = -3x/2.
Solving the second gives λ = 3x/2.
Solving the third gives λ = -1.

Case : λ = 3x/2

Solving equation 1 gives us x = 0. Solving equation 2 we get y = 0. Solving equation 3 gives z = 0. Solving equation 4 we get z = ± 5

Giving us the points (0,0,0) and (0,0,±5).

Case : λ = -3x/2

Solving equation one gives nothing. Solving equation 2 gives y = 0 and y = -x or -y = x.
Solving equation 3 with y = -x we get y = -4 and z = 0. Solving equation 4 with y=0 and z = 0 gives x = ±5.

Giving us the points (±5,0,0).

Case : λ = -1

Solving equation one gives us x = 3/2 and x = 0. Solving equation two gives us y = 0 and y = -3/2. We are given z = 0 in equation 3. Solving equation 4 with x = z = 0 gives us y = ±5.

Yielding the points (0,±5,0).

Then I would simply test which points satisfy the constraint equation x2 + y2 + z2 = 25.

So for example (0,0,0) would not be a max or min because it lies in the interior of the sphere.

Is this what I was supposed to do?

Unfortunately, the equations have a total of 14 different solutions (x,y,z,λ)! To see how this can happen, note that the first equation says either x = 0 or x = -(2/3)λ. The second equation says either y = 0 or y = (2/3)λ, The third equation says either z = 0 or λ = -6. When you put all this together, along with the g=0 constraint, you get a total of 14 possibilities. There are 2 global maxima (differing by signs) and 2 global minima, along with 10 other points that are either local maxima, local minima or saddle points.

RGV

Last edited:
Ray Vickson said:
Unfortunately, the equations have a total of 14 different solutions (x,y,z,λ)! To see how this can happen, note that the first equation says either x = 0 or x = -(2/3)λ. The second equation says either y = 0 or y = (2/3)λ, The third equation says either z = 0 or λ = -6. When you put all this together, along with the g=0 constraint, you get a total of 14 possibilities. There are 2 global maxima (differing by signs) and 2 global minima, along with 10 other points that are either local maxima, local minima or saddle points.

RGV

Wow, so do I actually have to consider all 14 cases? The three cases I did there only using values of λ seem to produce the desired answers.

Also that would mean λ = -1 was not even a case to consider if I'm supposed to solve them all straight through. Also solving the last equation would give me nothing at this time, would it?

Last edited:
Zondrina said:
Wow, so do I actually have to consider all 14 cases? The three cases I did there only using values of λ seem to produce the desired answers.

Also that would mean λ = -1 was not even a case to consider if I'm supposed to solve them all straight through. Also solving the last equation would give me nothing at this time, would it?

I think it is more-or-less "intuitive". Look at f = x^3 - y^3 + 6z^2. To get a minimum we would like to have |z| as small as possible (because of the +6z^2 term), so z = 0. Now we would want either x<0 and y>0 or x=0 and y > 0, because we want either x^3 < 0 and y^3 > 0 or x^3 = 0 and y^3 > 0. So, either x = 0 and y = 5 or both x and y are ≠ 0 and we can use the Lagrange equations, etc. For a max, we should try to have y = 0, etc.

The real issue is to show convincingly that all of the other possibilities do not give better values of f. I did it the lazy person's way, by just asking Maple to solve the 4 equations.

RGV

So the system of equations is :
x(3x + 2λ) = 0
y(-3y + 2λ) = 0
2z(6+λ) = 0
25 - x2 - z2 = y2

Okay so I think I got this now. Really we only need the first two equations to solve this I believe.

Solving the first equation gives x = 0 and λ = (-3/2)x.
Solving the second eq gives y = 0 and λ = (3/2)y.

Case #1, x = 0 : Our equations reduce to :
y(-3y + 2λ) = 0
2z(6+λ) = 0
25 - z2 = y2

Solving the third equation gives us z = 0 or λ = -6 and two sub cases of x=0.

Sub case, z = 0 : Our equations reduce to :
y(-3y + 2λ) = 0
25 = y2

Solving equation two gives us y = ±5 and solving the first gives us y = 0.

Sub case, λ = -6 : Our equations reduce to :
y(-3y - 12) = 0
25 - z2 = y2

So solving the first equation gives y=0 or y=-4. Solving the third equation with y=0 gives us z = ±5 and solving it with y=-4 gives us z = ±3.

So we get the points : (0,0,0), (0,±5,0), (0,0,±5), (0,0,±3) to consider.

Now that we've gone through the cases when x=0 let's make life simple and take the case y=0.

Case #2, y=0 : Our equations reduce to :
x(3x + 2λ) = 0
2z(6+λ) = 0
25 - x2 - z2 = 0

Solving equation two once again gives z=0 and λ = -6 so we have two sub cases again.

Sub case, z=0 : Our equations reduce to :
x(3x + 2λ) = 0
25 - x2 = 0

Solving the second equation gives x = ±5 and solving the first gives x = 0.

Sub case, λ=-6 : Our equations reduce to :
x(3x - 12) = 0
25 - x2 - z2 = 0

So solving the first we get x=0 or x=4. Solving the second with x=0 gives us z = ±5 and solving it with x=4 gives z = ±3.

Therefore the only new points we get to consider are (±5,0,0).

I'm hoping that's the correct way to do something like this because I'm pretty sure considering the cases where z = 0, λ = -6, λ = (-3/2)x and λ = (3/2)y would yield no new information if I'm not mistaken? So I would have these points to consider :

(0,0,0), (±5,0,0), (0,±5,0), (0,0,±5), (0,0,±3)

Where obviously I would toss out the points (0,0,0) and (0,0,±3) because they are not on the boundary of my sphere ( Aka they don't satisfy the constraint ). Then all that's left is that I check the remaining points I believe?

Zondrina said:
So the system of equations is :
x(3x + 2λ) = 0
y(-3y + 2λ) = 0
2z(6+λ) = 0
25 - x2 - z2 = y2

Okay so I think I got this now. Really we only need the first two equations to solve this I believe.

Solving the first equation gives x = 0 and λ = (-3/2)x.
Solving the second eq gives y = 0 and λ = (3/2)y.

Case #1, x = 0 : Our equations reduce to :
y(-3y + 2λ) = 0
2z(6+λ) = 0
25 - z2 = y2

Solving the third equation gives us z = 0 or λ = -6 and two sub cases of x=0.

Sub case, z = 0 : Our equations reduce to :
y(-3y + 2λ) = 0
25 = y2

Solving equation two gives us y = ±5 and solving the first gives us y = 0.

Sub case, λ = -6 : Our equations reduce to :
y(-3y - 12) = 0
25 - z2 = y2

So solving the first equation gives y=0 or y=-4. Solving the third equation with y=0 gives us z = ±5 and solving it with y=-4 gives us z = ±3.

So we get the points : (0,0,0), (0,±5,0), (0,0,±5), (0,0,±3) to consider.

Now that we've gone through the cases when x=0 let's make life simple and take the case y=0.

Case #2, y=0 : Our equations reduce to :
x(3x + 2λ) = 0
2z(6+λ) = 0
25 - x2 - z2 = 0

Solving equation two once again gives z=0 and λ = -6 so we have two sub cases again.

Sub case, z=0 : Our equations reduce to :
x(3x + 2λ) = 0
25 - x2 = 0

Solving the second equation gives x = ±5 and solving the first gives x = 0.

Sub case, λ=-6 : Our equations reduce to :
x(3x - 12) = 0
25 - x2 - z2 = 0

So solving the first we get x=0 or x=4. Solving the second with x=0 gives us z = ±5 and solving it with x=4 gives z = ±3.

Therefore the only new points we get to consider are (±5,0,0).
I'm hoping that's the correct way to do something like this because I'm pretty sure considering the cases where z = 0, λ = -6, λ = (-3/2)x and λ = (3/2)y would yield no new information if I'm not mistaken? So I would have these points to consider :

(0,0,0), (±5,0,0), (0,±5,0), (0,0,±5), (0,0,±3)

Where obviously I would toss out the points (0,0,0) and (0,0,±3) because they are not on the boundary of my sphere ( Aka they don't satisfy the constraint ). Then all that's left is that I check the remaining points I believe?

You have it, almost, but you still need to check the ± parts. The argument can be tightened up a bit, and when doing so it helps to also use information about the form and values of f itself (not just its derivatives). Using u instead of λ we have:
(1) x(3x+2u)=0 --> x = 0 or x = -2u/3
(2) y(-3y+2u)=0 -> y=0 or y = 2u/3
(3) z(6+u)=0 m-> z = 0 or u=-6.
(4) x^2 + y^2 + z^2 = 25.

For a min, we want y to be as large (> 0) as possible, and x = z = 0, so y = 5 (giving u = 7/2), or x to be as small (< 0) as possible, and y = z = 0, so x = -5 (giving u = 7/2). Thus, both points (0,5,0) and (-5,0,0) satisfy the Lagrange equations, and they give f = -125. It is easy to show that we cannot do better. We obviously cannot have both x = 0 and y = 0, because that would require z = ±5, giving f = 6*25 = 150 > -125. So, if x ≠ 0 and y = 0 we want to minimize f = x^3 + 6z^2, with x^2+z^2 = 25, so f = x^3 + 6(25 - x^2), which is minimized on x in [-5,5] x = -5. If x = 0 and y ± 0 we have the mirror-image problem (except for the sign) so y = -5. If we try both x and y not 0 we must have x = -2u/3, y = 2u/3, Obviously, we can do better by putting z = 0 instead of having |z| > 0, because if z > 0 (for example), we can change it to 0 and re-distribute its value to y or x; that is, we can keep the constraint satisfied while reducing the term +6z^2 and making the term -y^3 more negative (by making y > 0 larger) or making the term x^3 more negative by making -x more negative. Ok, so we need z = 0. Thus we must have 25 = 2*(2/3)^3*u^2, or u = ±(5/2)√3. Computing x=-(2/3)u and y = (2/3)u, and substituting into f (along with z = 0) gives f = 0 > -125, so is not the minimum. We can conclude that x = (-5,0,0) or (0,5,0) are the two global minima, giving f_min = -125.

Similarly, for a max; the points (0,0 ±5) both give f_max = 150, and by arguments lile the above you can show we cannot do better.

RGV

Last edited:
Ray Vickson said:
You have it, almost, but you still need to check the ± parts. The argument can be tightened up a bit, and when doing so it helps to also use information about the form and values of f itself (not just its derivatives). Using u instead of λ we have:
(1) x(3x+2u)=0 --> x = 0 or x = -2u/3
(2) y(-3y+2u)=0 -> y=0 or y = 2u/3
(3) z(6+u)=0 m-> z = 0 or u=-6.
(4) x^2 + y^2 + z^2 = 25.

For a min, we want y to be as large (> 0) as possible, and x = z = 0, so y = 5 (giving u = 7/2), or x to be as small (< 0) as possible, and y = z = 0, so x = -5 (giving u = 7/2). Thus, both points (0,5,0) and (-5,0,0) satisfy the Lagrange equations, and they give f = -125. It is easy to show that we cannot do better. We obviously cannot have both x = 0 and y = 0, because that would require z = ±5, giving f = 6*25 = 150 > -125. So, if x ≠ 0 and y = 0 we want to minimize f = x^3 + 6z^2, with x^2+z^2 = 25, so f = x^3 + 6(25 - x^2), which is minimized on x in [-5,5] x = -5. If x = 0 and y ± 0 we have the mirror-image problem (except for the sign) so y = -5. If we try both x and y not 0 we must have x = -2u/3, y = 2u/3, Obviously, we can do better by putting z = 0 instead of having |z| > 0, because if z > 0 (for example), we can change it to 0 and re-distribute its value to y or x; that is, we can keep the constraint satisfied while reducing the term +6z^2 and making the term -y^3 more negative (by making y > 0 larger) or making the term x^3 more negative by making -x more negative. Ok, so we need z = 0. Thus we must have 25 = 2*(2/3)^3*u^2, or u = ±(5/2)√3. Computing x=-(2/3)u and y = (2/3)u, and substituting into f (along with z = 0) gives f = 0 > -125, so is not the minimum. We can conclude that x = (-5,0,0) or (0,5,0) are the two global minima, giving f_min = -125.

Similarly, for a max; the points (0,0 ±5) both give f_max = 150, and by arguments lile the above you can show we cannot do better.

RGV

Ahh yes I see, I just didn't consider the other scenarios because I knew they would give me points which wouldn't be relevant, but in order to make my argument concrete, I would have to consider all possible combinations of points which I would get from my system of equations and show using f and my constraint g that I could not do better by maximizing and minimizing the scenarios ( Actually plugging in the points and seeing what's going on ).

Thanks for your help.

Last edited:

Related to Find the max and min using lagrange

What is the Lagrange method for finding the maximum and minimum of a function?

The Lagrange multiplier method, also known as the Lagrange method, is a mathematical technique used to find the maximum and minimum values of a function subject to certain constraints. It involves using the Lagrange multiplier, a scalar quantity, to find the critical points of the function.

What are the steps involved in using the Lagrange method to find the maximum and minimum?

The steps involved in using the Lagrange method are as follows:1. Identify the function to be optimized.2. Identify the constraints that the function must satisfy.3. Write the Lagrangian function by adding the product of the constraints and the Lagrange multiplier to the original function.4. Find the partial derivatives of the Lagrangian function with respect to all the variables.5. Set the partial derivatives equal to zero and solve for the variables.6. Use the solutions to determine the maximum and minimum values of the function.

What are the advantages of using the Lagrange method to find the maximum and minimum?

The Lagrange method has several advantages, including:- It can be used to find the maximum and minimum of a function subject to multiple constraints.- It is a systematic and efficient method that can be applied to a wide range of functions.- It provides a general solution for optimization problems that cannot be solved using traditional calculus methods.- It is useful in real-world applications such as economics, engineering, and physics.

What are some examples of real-world applications of the Lagrange method?

The Lagrange method has various applications in different fields, including:- In economics, it can be used to maximize utility functions subject to budget or resource constraints.- In engineering, it can be used to optimize the design of structures or systems subject to physical constraints.- In physics, it can be used to find the path of a particle that minimizes or maximizes a certain quantity, such as time or energy.

What are the limitations of the Lagrange method?

Although the Lagrange method is a powerful tool for optimization, it also has some limitations, such as:- It may not always provide the global maximum or minimum of a function, but only the local maximum or minimum.- It may be computationally expensive for functions with multiple variables and constraints.- It may not be suitable for functions with discontinuities or non-differentiable points.