Find the matrix representations of the Differentiation Map in the Basis

In summary, the conversation discusses proving that the set B = {x2 −1,2x2 +x−3,3x2 +x} is a basis for the space P2(R), as well as showing that the differentiation map D : P2(R) → P2(R) is a linear transformation. The conversation also mentions finding the matrix representations of D with respect to the standard basis and the basis B. The conversation offers a helpful approach for solving for the components of the matrix in the equation: D{[basis1]•(c,b,a)} = [basis2]•{M•(c,b,a)}.
nautolian

Homework Statement

Show that B = {x2 −1,2x2 +x−3,3x2 +x} is a basis for P2(R). Show that the differentiation map D : P2(R) → P2(R) is a linear transformation. Finally, find the following matrix representations of D: DSt←St, DSt←B and DB←B.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have proved that it is a linear transformation, but I'm really not sure where to begin with the second part. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
I take it St means "standard basis" I.e. {1,x,x^2}.
First see what the action of D is on the basis vectors for each basis and express these results as a linear combination of basis elements. Then see how the matrix form is supposed to do exactly the same thing to match up components.

I find it helpful to express expansion in a given basis by writing the row (matrix) of basis elements and the element as a matrix product. Thus e.g.

[tex] ax^2 + bx + c = \left[ 1, x, x^2 \right]\cdot \left(\begin{array}{c}c \\ b\\ a\\ \end{array}\right) [/tex]

You can then solve for the components of the matrix [itex]\mathbf{M}[/itex] in the equation:

[tex]D \left\{ \left[ \mathbf{basis}_1 \right] \cdot\left(\begin{array}{c}c \\ b\\ a\\ \end{array}\right) \right\}=\left[\mathbf{basis}_2\right] \cdot \left\{ \mathbf{M}\cdot \left(\begin{array}{c}c \\ b\\ a\\ \end{array}\right)\right\} [/tex]
EDIT: Oops! I had my products backward, now fixed.

Related to Find the matrix representations of the Differentiation Map in the Basis

What is the differentiation map?

The differentiation map is an operator in linear algebra that maps a vector space of functions to another vector space of functions. It represents the process of taking the derivative of a function.

What is a matrix representation?

A matrix representation is a way of representing a linear transformation using a matrix. It allows for easier computation and analysis of the linear transformation.

What is a basis?

A basis is a set of linearly independent vectors that can be used to represent all other vectors in a vector space. It acts as a coordinate system for the vector space.

How do you find the matrix representation of the differentiation map in a given basis?

To find the matrix representation of the differentiation map in a given basis, you can first represent the basis vectors as columns of a matrix. Then, apply the differentiation map to each basis vector and record the resulting vectors as columns of a new matrix. The resulting matrix will be the matrix representation of the differentiation map in the given basis.

Why is finding the matrix representation of the differentiation map important?

Finding the matrix representation of the differentiation map allows for easier computation of the linear transformation and provides a way to analyze the properties of the map. It also allows for comparison with other linear transformations and can aid in solving differential equations.