Find the mass of a metal block with heat capacity 60JK

In summary, a metal block with a heat capacity of 60 J K-1 loses 1MJ of heat energy, resulting in a decrease in temperature of 1667 degrees Celsius. The heat capacity constant of 60 J K-1 is necessary to change the temperature by one degree Kelvin. The given constant is not a specific heat capacity constant, but rather the heat capacity of the block itself.
RabbitWho

Homework Statement

A metal block of heat capacity 60 J K -1 loses 1MJ of heat energy to its surroundings. Find the decrease in its temperature.

Homework Equations

Q = m c Δ θ
Heat energy added = mass x specific heat capacity x rise in temperature
heat energy lost = blah blah blah x drop in temperature

The Attempt at a Solution

c = 60
m = ? How do I find this out so I can do the equation ?
Δ θ = This is what I need to find out for the overall answer.

Physics news on Phys.org
You have one equation with two unknowns so you don't have enough information to find change in temperature.
Expressing change in temp. in terms of m is the best you can do with the info you have.

Likes RabbitWho
RabbitWho said:
A metal block of heat capacity 60 J K -1 loses 1MJ of heat energy
Note that the given constant is not a specific heat capacity constant, it's the heat capacity of the block in Joules per degree Kelvin. As such you do not need the mass as it's already taken into account (think of it as being the specific heat of the substance multiplied by the mass of the block). The constant would apply to this block and this block only.

Likes RabbitWho and billy_joule
OK so 600JK -1 (600 joules per kilo per Kelvin) is necessary to change the temperature by `
1 MJ of heat is lost...
Is that 1 megajoules ? so that is 1 million joules?
The answer at the back says that the change in temperature is 1667 degrees Celsius.. I am sorry I can't see how to get that answer

RabbitWho said:
OK so 600JK -1 (600 joules per kilo per Kelvin) is necessary to change the temperature by `
1 MJ of heat is lost...
Is that 1 megajoules ? so that is 1 million joules?
The answer at the back says that the change in temperature is 1667 degrees Celsius.. I am sorry I can't see how to get that answer
Is the given constant 60 or 600 J/K ? You have 60 in the problem statement... Ah, I can see that if the answer is 1667 C that "600" is the correct value.

Note that there's no "kilo" in the definition of the given constant. It's 600 Joules per degree kelvin. If the block temperature changes by one degree (C or K) then its heat content has changed by 600 Joules.

Yes, MJ is shorthand for megajoule, 106 Joules.

Likes RabbitWho
ah I get it! I have to divide a million by 600, and I understand why, too. Thank you! :)

Related to Find the mass of a metal block with heat capacity 60JK

What is the formula for finding the mass of a metal block with heat capacity 60JK?

The formula for finding the mass of a metal block with heat capacity 60JK is mass = heat capacity/ specific heat capacity.

What is the unit of measurement for heat capacity?

The unit of measurement for heat capacity is Joules per Kelvin (JK).

How does heat capacity affect the mass of a metal block?

Heat capacity is directly proportional to the mass of a metal block. This means that as the heat capacity increases, the mass also increases.

Can the mass of a metal block with heat capacity 60JK be negative?

No, the mass of a metal block cannot be negative. Heat capacity is a physical property that represents the amount of energy needed to raise the temperature of a substance, and mass cannot have a negative value.

Is there a specific method for measuring the mass of a metal block with heat capacity 60JK?

Yes, there are several methods for measuring the mass of a metal block with heat capacity 60JK. One common method is to use a balance scale, where the mass of the metal block is compared to known masses until they are balanced. Another method is to use the density and volume of the metal block to calculate its mass.