Find the MacLaurin polynomial of degree 5 for F(x).

In summary: OK. I understand it now. Thanks for sticking with me until I understood. I have a final for college coming up so understanding this was very pivotal. Thanks, once again.
McAfee

Homework Statement

Ru8dm.jpg

Homework Equations

NumberedEquation1.gif

The Attempt at a Solution

6Uscs.jpg

I keep getting the answer 1- 96/4!*x^4. Can't find where I'm going wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
It's really hard to tell what you are doing from the blurry photograph. Can you explain? What are F(0), F'(0), F''(0) etc?

Dick said:
It's really hard to tell what you are doing from the blurry photograph. Can you explain? What are F(0), F'(0), F''(0) etc?

Sorry for the blurriness. This should be clearer.

As you can see I get the answer in the box. I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong here.

44444444444444444444444444440001.jpg

Much clearer, thanks! Now I see where you are going wrong. f(0)=0, isn't it? It's f'(0) that is 1. And if you think about it, you didn't have to compute a lot of those terms involving high powers of x. But that's in retrospect.

Dick said:
Much clearer, thanks! Now I see where you are going wrong. f(0)=0, isn't it? It's f'(0) that is 1. And if you think about it, you didn't have to compute a lot of those terms involving high powers of x. But that's in retrospect.

I'm still not getting the correct answer.
I think f(0)=1. 0^4=0 0 times -4 equals 0 and then e to the power of 0 equals 1.

McAfee said:
I'm still not getting the correct answer.
I think f(0)=1. 0^4=0 0 times -4 equals 0 and then e to the power of 0 equals 1.

Nooo. f(0) is the integral from 0 to 0 of e^(-4t^4). That's zero! f'(0) is exp(-4t^2) evaluated at t=0. Your derivative count is off by one!

Dick said:
Nooo. f(0) is the integral from 0 to 0 of e^(-4t^4). That's zero! f'(0) is exp(-4t^2) evaluated at t=0. Your derivative count is off by one!

So it should be x-(96/5!)*x^5 ?

McAfee said:
So it should be x-(96/5!)*x^5 ?

Yes, it should. But I don't like that '?' in the answer. You do see why, don't you?

Dick said:
Yes, it should. But I don't like that '?' in the answer. You do see why, don't you?

Honestly, it is the right answer but I don't see why. Is there something special with finding a maclaurin polynomial of a function that includes e?

McAfee said:
Honestly, it is the right answer but I don't see why. Is there something special with finding a maclaurin polynomial of a function that includes e?

No, nothing special about e. You don't agree f(0)=0? Suppose the function in your integral was just 1. What are f(0) and f'(0)?

Dick said:
No, nothing special about e. You don't agree f(0)=0? Suppose the function in your integral was just 1. What are f(0) and f'(0)?

f(0) would be 1 and f'(0) would be 0

Looking at it again is it because of the integral would be from 0 to 0

McAfee said:
f(0) would be 1 and f'(0) would be 0

Looking at it again is it because of the integral would be from 0 to 0

If you are integrating 1 from 0 to x, then f(x)=x. I can say pretty definitely that f(0)=0. f'(0)=1.

Dick said:
If you are integrating 1 from 0 to x, then f(x)=x. I can say pretty definitely that f(0)=0. f'(0)=1.

Can it basically be a rule if you integrating from 0 to x, that the first term is 0 followed by the second term being x?

McAfee said:
Can it basically be a rule if you integrating from 0 to x, that the first term is 0 followed by the second term being x?

You can't simplify it that much. Integrate 2 from 0 to x. The point of the example is just to show what you were doing wrong. f(0) is always zero, sure. f'(0) depends on the value of the integrand at 0. You just had your derivatives shifted by one. That's all.

Dick said:
You can't simplify it that much. Integrate 2 from 0 to x. The point of the example is just to show what you were doing wrong. f(0) is always zero, sure. f'(0) depends on the value of the integrand at 0. You just had your derivatives shifted by one. That's all.

OK. I understand it now. Thanks for sticking with me until I understood. I have a final for college coming up so understanding this was very pivotal. Thanks, once again.

Related to Find the MacLaurin polynomial of degree 5 for F(x).

1. What is a MacLaurin polynomial?

A MacLaurin polynomial is a type of polynomial that is used to approximate a given function. It is centered at x = 0 (also known as the origin) and is a finite sum of terms that involve powers of x.

2. How is the degree of a MacLaurin polynomial determined?

The degree of a MacLaurin polynomial is determined by the highest power of x in the polynomial. For example, a degree 5 MacLaurin polynomial will have terms that involve x^5, x^4, x^3, x^2, x, and a constant term.

3. What is the purpose of finding the MacLaurin polynomial of a function?

The purpose of finding the MacLaurin polynomial of a function is to approximate the function using a simpler polynomial. This can be useful in situations where the function may be difficult to work with, but the polynomial can be easily manipulated and analyzed.

4. How is the MacLaurin polynomial of degree 5 calculated?

The MacLaurin polynomial of degree 5 is calculated by using the Taylor series expansion of the function and truncating it after the fifth degree term. This involves taking the derivatives of the function at x = 0 and plugging them into the formula for the Taylor series.

5. What are the applications of MacLaurin polynomials?

MacLaurin polynomials have various applications in mathematics and engineering, such as in numerical analysis, optimization, and approximation of real-world functions. They are also used in physics to approximate motion and in economics to model supply and demand curves.