Find the Least Upper Bound for P(X>=5) with Chebychev Probability and E[e^X]=19

• Thread starter ParisSpart
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Probability
In summary, the conversation discusses finding the least upper bound for the probability that a non-negative random value X is at least 5, given that its expected value is 19. The speaker suggests using the Chebyshev inequality and converting the problem to one involving ln(log). However, their proposed answer of 19/5 is deemed incorrect. The conversation ends with the question of what bound can be placed on ##e^X## if ##X\geq 5##.
ParisSpart
A non-negative random value X such that

E[e^X]=19
If p be the probability that the random value is at least 5 then what is the least upper bound you can give for the probability p with this information?

i think that i must use the type of chebychev like this

p(X>=5)<=(E(X)/5) but we have E(e^X) if i put e^X=Y then i will have this

p(e^X>=5)<=(E(Y)/5) and i am taking ln(log) and i have: p(X>=5)<=19/5 but the quiz says that 19/5 its not correct any ideas?

Physics news on Phys.org
If ##X\geq 5##, what bound can you put on ##e^X##?

Related to Find the Least Upper Bound for P(X>=5) with Chebychev Probability and E[e^X]=19

1. What is the meaning of "Least Upper Bound" in this context?

The least upper bound in this context refers to the smallest possible value that is greater than or equal to the probability of the random variable X being greater than or equal to 5. This value is used to estimate the probability of an event occurring.

2. How is Chebychev Probability used in finding the least upper bound?

Chebychev Probability is used to find the least upper bound by providing an upper limit on the probability of an event occurring. It uses the variance of the random variable to estimate the probability and provides a more accurate bound compared to other methods.

3. Can you explain how E[e^X]=19 is related to finding the least upper bound?

The equation E[e^X]=19 is the expected value of the random variable e^X, which is also known as the moment generating function. By calculating this value, we can use it to find the least upper bound for P(X>=5) using Chebychev Probability.

4. What are the steps involved in finding the least upper bound for P(X>=5) with Chebychev Probability?

The steps involved in finding the least upper bound for P(X>=5) with Chebychev Probability are:
1. Calculate the mean and variance of the random variable X.
2. Use these values to calculate the standard deviation.
3. Substitute the values into the Chebychev Probability formula: P(X>=5) <= (variance / (5-mean)^2).
4. Calculate the least upper bound by substituting the values into the formula.
5. The resulting value is the least upper bound for P(X>=5).

5. How is the least upper bound useful in probability analysis?

The least upper bound is useful in probability analysis because it provides an upper limit on the probability of an event occurring. This allows us to make more accurate estimations of the likelihood of an event, which is important in many scientific and mathematical applications. Additionally, it can help identify outliers and extreme values in a data set.