What Is the Minimum Upper Bound of P(X>=5) Given -10<=X<=10 and E(X)=2?

In summary: No, X can be < 0, so I'm suggesting creating a new random variable Y as a function of X (the simpler the better) which satisfies Y >= 0. P[X>=5] will equal P[Y>=c] for some c. You can apply LMVT to Y.
ParisSpart
the random value X has the inequality , -10<=X<=10 and E(X)=2, what is the minimum upper bound
of the probability P(X>=5) ?

my first thought was to find this P(X>=t)<=E(X)/t which is 2/5 from Markov but its not correct, any ideas?

Physics news on Phys.org
My very crude idea is to set all the weights to zero and then choose two weights only to adjust. I won't say more.

weights? what do you mean?

ParisSpart said:
the random value X has the inequality , -10<=X<=10 and E(X)=2, what is the minimum upper bound
of the probability P(X>=5) ?

my first thought was to find this P(X>=t)<=E(X)/t which is 2/5 from Markov but its not correct, any ideas?

Why do you say 2/5 is wrong? It is not wrong, because for any number p (0 ≤ p ≤ 2/5) we can find a random variable X that satisfies the conditions and gives P(X ≥ 5) = p. So, no number less than 2/5 can possibly be an UPPER bound, because if we take a number p with p < 2/5 we can always find a suitable X having P(X ≥ 5) > p (but ≤ 2/5); in fact, we can find infinitely many suitable X having P(X ≥ 5) = 2/5 exactly. On the other hand, 2/5 is certainly an upper bound, because no suitable X can have a probability P(X ≥ 5) that exceeds 2/5---that's what Markov's inequality is all about.

I will leave it to you to verify the statements I have made; you do need to verify them, since otherwise your "solution" would be that 'somebody said so', and that is not a proof.

yea but why X is -10<X<10 ? this made me to think that i must find other bounds upper...

Consider distributions which can take two values only.
This is the same as "the weight is non-zero for two values only", verty's idea.

ParisSpart said:
yea but why X is -10<X<10 ? this made me to think that i must find other bounds upper...

Which post are your responding to? Use the proper 'reply' buttons; otherwise, it is impossible to tell what part of the thread your post addresses.

Ray Vickson said:
On the other hand, 2/5 is certainly an upper bound, because no suitable X can have a probability P(X ≥ 5) that exceeds 2/5---that's what Markov's inequality is all about.
Isn't that predicated on X>=0?

haruspex said:
Isn't that predicated on X>=0?

Yes, sorry. Disregard my silly posting; I've been dizzy and feverish for most of today and I should have stayed in bed.

Ray Vickson said:
I've been dizzy and feverish for most of today and I should have stayed in bed.
Sorry to hear that - hope you feel better soon.

ParisSpart, in order to make use of the Markov inequality you will need to map X to a random variable which is always >= 0.

haruspex said:
Sorry to hear that - hope you feel better soon.

ParisSpart, in order to make use of the Markov inequality you will need to map X to a random variable which is always >= 0.

Better now.

how i will find X>=0 , i can find that abs(X)=<10 what i can take from this?

ParisSpart said:
how i will find X>=0 , i can find that abs(X)=<10 what i can take from this?

No, X can be < 0, so I'm suggesting creating a new random variable Y as a function of X (the simpler the better) which satisfies Y >= 0. P[X>=5] will equal P[Y>=c] for some c. You can apply LMVT to Y.

What do you mean with LMVT?

ParisSpart said:
What do you mean with LMVT?
Sorry, mixing up threads. I meant Markov's inequality.

Related to What Is the Minimum Upper Bound of P(X>=5) Given -10<=X<=10 and E(X)=2?

1. What are probabilities inequalities?

Probabilities inequalities refer to mathematical expressions that compare the likelihood of different events occurring. They are used to determine the probability of an event happening within a certain range or under certain conditions.

2. How are probabilities inequalities used in science?

In science, probabilities inequalities are used to make predictions and draw conclusions based on data. They are also used to determine the confidence level of a scientific experiment or study.

3. What is the difference between a probability inequality and a probability equation?

A probability inequality compares the likelihood of two events occurring, while a probability equation calculates the exact probability of a single event occurring. Inequalities are often used when the exact probability cannot be determined.

4. Can probabilities inequalities be applied to real-life situations?

Yes, probabilities inequalities can be applied to real-life situations, such as predicting the likelihood of a disease outbreak or the chance of winning a game. They are also used in risk analysis and decision making.

5. Are there any limitations to using probabilities inequalities?

One limitation of using probabilities inequalities is that they are based on assumptions and can only provide an estimate of the probability. They also do not take into account all possible factors that may affect the outcome of an event.