Find the irreducible quadratic factors of

In summary, the quartic polynomial z^(4)+4 can be factored into irreducible quadratics as (z^(2)-2i)(z^(2)+2i). This can be found by first finding the complex roots of the polynomial and then using the property that if two roots are conjugates of each other, the resulting quadratic will be real and irreducible. Other methods, such as equating coefficients, can also be used to find the factorization, but may not always be applicable.
bingo92
find the irreducible quadratic factors of z^(4)+4

The Attempt at a Solution

Im stumped...this is all I've got:

[(z^(2))^2]-[(2i)^2]

(z^(2)-2i)(z^2+2i)

Any guidance is greatly appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
So you've already noticed that a difference of two squares won't work. The way to answer this is a little more complicated.

Can you find all the complex roots of that polynomial?

Also, notice that if we have a complex root of the form [itex]\alpha=rcis(\theta)[/itex] and its conjugate [itex]\overline{\alpha}=rcis(-\theta)[/itex] then

[tex](z-\alpha)(z-\overline{\alpha})=(z^2-(\alpha+\overline{\alpha})z+\alpha\overline{\alpha})[/tex]

and

[tex]\alpha+\overline{\alpha}=2rcos\theta[/tex]

[tex]\alpha\overline{\alpha}=r^2[/tex]

which are both real, which tells us if two roots are conjugates of each other then the quadratic that has those roots is real and obviously irreducible.

I tried equating coefficients. I assume that the factorization will be in the form of
(z2 + az + b)(z2 + cz + d).
Multiply the trinomials and you'll have a 5-term polynomial:
z4 + ?z3 + ?z2 + ?z + bd
(I'll let you fill in the "?").
Let this equal z4 + 4. This means that the coefficients for z3, z2 and z must be zero. You'll end up with 4 equations and 4 unknowns. Since solving this particular system is daunting, you could make some assumptions as to what b and d are. If you let b = d = 2, the system reduces quite nicely, and you'll find a and c easily enough.

I wouldn't say that this method can be used to factor any quartic in the form of z4 + c to irreducible quadratics. I only tried it because the constant term in the quartic is small.

eumyang said:
I tried equating coefficients. I assume that the factorization will be in the form of
(z2 + az + b)(z2 + cz + d).
Multiply the trinomials and you'll have a 5-term polynomial:
z4 + ?z3 + ?z2 + ?z + bd
(I'll let you fill in the "?").
Let this equal z4 + 4. This means that the coefficients for z3, z2 and z must be zero. You'll end up with 4 equations and 4 unknowns. Since solving this particular system is daunting, you could make some assumptions as to what b and d are. If you let b = d = 2, the system reduces quite nicely, and you'll find a and c easily enough.

I wouldn't say that this method can be used to factor any quartic in the form of z4 + c to irreducible quadratics. I only tried it because the constant term in the quartic is small.

While that way works too, I'm pretty sure the expected method is the one that I pointed towards.

Related to Find the irreducible quadratic factors of

1. What does "irreducible" mean in this context?

In mathematics, an irreducible polynomial or expression is one that cannot be factored into smaller polynomials or expressions. This means that the polynomial cannot be broken down into simpler parts.

2. How do I find the irreducible quadratic factors of a polynomial?

To find the irreducible quadratic factors of a polynomial, you can use the quadratic formula or factorization by grouping. The resulting quadratic factors will be irreducible if they cannot be factored any further.

3. Why is it important to find the irreducible quadratic factors of a polynomial?

Finding the irreducible quadratic factors of a polynomial can help in simplifying and solving equations involving the polynomial. It can also provide insight into the properties and behavior of the polynomial.

4. Can you provide an example of finding the irreducible quadratic factors of a polynomial?

Sure, let's say we have the polynomial x^2 + 4x + 4. We can factor this into (x+2)^2, which is already in its irreducible form.

5. Are there any specific techniques or strategies for finding irreducible quadratic factors?

Yes, there are various techniques for finding irreducible quadratic factors, such as factoring by grouping, completing the square, and using the quadratic formula. It may also be helpful to first check if the polynomial is already in its irreducible form before attempting to factor.