Find the inverse Laplace transform

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the inverse Laplace transform of a given function and includes a discussion about factoring and using complex numbers. The suggested approach involves factoring the denominator and splitting into partial fractions. The conversation also includes a brief discussion about using Latex syntax. Finally, the last part of the conversation discusses finding the inverse Laplace transform of the function using the suggested approach.
paczan85
Find the inverse Laplace transform

$F(s)=\frac{4}{s^4+4}$

I tried factoring out the solution, but run into the problem with the imaginary numbers and am still stuck with the s^2+2j, which I have to factor out once more, and that's where the problem gets even messier. What do I do?

Physics news on Phys.org
Factor the denominator first and split into partial fractions...

I split the denominator into

(s^2+2j)(s^2-2j)

How can I split the above into partial fractions since I have the imaginary numbers in both.

Also, how do I use the Latex in writing these equations, I am trying to use my regular Latex syntax but for some reason it has no effect here.

Thanks

paczan85 said:
I split the denominator into

(s^2+2j)(s^2-2j)

How can I split the above into partial fractions since I have the imaginary numbers in both.

You should be able to factor it without using complex numbers. That is, you should be able to find a,b,c and d such that

[tex]s^4+4=(s^2+as+b)(s^2+cs+d)[/tex]

Also, how do I use the Latex in writing these equations, I am trying to use my regular Latex syntax but for some reason it has no effect here.

Enclose them in [itex] ... [/ itex] brackets (without the spaces). So instead of writing $s^2$, you write [itex] s^2 [/ itex].
The equivalent of $$ ... $$ is [tex] ... [/ tex]

If I break it out to be

[itex](s^2+2)^2-4s^2[\itex]

which is just the [itex] e^{-at}sin(bt) [\itex] unfortunately I have the [itex] s^2 [\itex] terms I need to get rid of. I think I can work it out if I break it down into complex numbers from here but not sure if this is the right move.

And looks like my Latex syntax is still not working

paczan85 said:
If I break it out to be

[itex](s^2+2)^2-4s^2[\itex]

which is just the [itex] e^{-at}sin(bt) [\itex] unfortunately I have the [itex] s^2 [\itex] terms I need to get rid of. I think I can work it out if I break it down into complex numbers from here but not sure if this is the right move.

Have you tried factoring it the way I suggested??

Also, you have the wrong / in your tex brackets.

I didn't see it right away but here is what I have

[itex] s^4+4=(s^2+2s+2)(s^2-2s+2)=((s+1)^2+1)((s-1)^2+1) [/itex]

this will also change the numerator so what I ended up getting overall is

[itex] \frac{(s+1)-\frac{1}{2}s}{(s+1)^2+1}-\frac{(s-1)-\frac{1}{2}s}{(s+1)^2+1} [/itex]

Now just trying to figure out the right functions to transform this back into the t domain, any suggestions?

That's good, so working it out a bit further. We get that we need to take the inverse Laplace transform of

[tex]\frac{1}{2}\frac{s}{(s+1)^2+1}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{1}{(s+1)^2+1}[/tex]

[tex]-\frac{1}{2}\frac{s}{(s-1)^2+1}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{1}{(s-1)^2+1}[/tex]

This shouldn't be too hard. It should be of the form [itex]e^{-at}\sin(\omega t)u(t)[/itex] or [itex]e^{-at}\cos(\omega t)u(t)[/itex]

Related to Find the inverse Laplace transform

What is the inverse Laplace transform?

The inverse Laplace transform is a mathematical operation that takes a function in the Laplace domain and converts it back to the time domain. It is denoted by the symbol L-1 and is the inverse of the Laplace transform, which converts a function in the time domain to the Laplace domain.

Why is finding the inverse Laplace transform important?

Finding the inverse Laplace transform is important because it allows us to solve differential equations in the time domain by transforming them into the Laplace domain, where they can be manipulated algebraically. This makes it a powerful tool in many areas of science and engineering.

How do you find the inverse Laplace transform?

To find the inverse Laplace transform, you need to use a table of Laplace transforms or employ techniques such as partial fraction decomposition and the method of residues. It is a complex process that requires knowledge of advanced mathematics, so it is often done using software or calculators.

What are some common applications of the inverse Laplace transform?

The inverse Laplace transform is commonly used in control engineering, signal processing, and circuit analysis. It is also used in physics and other branches of science to solve differential equations and model complex systems.

Are there any limitations to using the inverse Laplace transform?

Yes, there are some limitations to using the inverse Laplace transform. It can only be applied to functions that have a Laplace transform, and it may not be possible to find the inverse Laplace transform for some functions. In addition, it can be difficult to find the inverse Laplace transform of functions with complex poles or multiple poles, and the process can be time-consuming and computationally intensive.