Find the height and the velocity of the object

In summary, the bolt detached from the elevator at the point where it was ascending for 3 seconds. The bolt had a velocity of 36 meters per second when it came to the point the elevator started to ascend.
prishila

Homework Statement

A bolt is detached from the lower part of an elevator cabin that is ascending with velocity 6meters/second and for 3 seconds comes to the point from where the elevator started to ascend. Find:
in which height is the end of the elevator in the moment when from it the bolt was detached. What is the velocity of the bolt when it comes to the point the elevator started to ascend.

Homework Equations

h=v0t+(gt^2)/2
v^2-v0^2=2gs

The Attempt at a Solution

Here's what i did:h=v0t+(gt^2)/2 vo is the first velocity
h=18+(10*9)/2=63
v^2-v0^2=2gs
v^2=2gs+vo^2=2*10*63+36 v=36
But my teacher told me that I did it wrong, because the bolt firstly goes up (maybe after it is detached from the elevator) and then goes down. Could you correct my mistake?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi,

In "h=v0t+(gt^2)/2" v0 goes up and g goes down. Yet you give both the same sign

BvU said:
Hi,

In "h=v0t+(gt^2)/2" v0 goes up and g goes down. Yet you give both the same sign
So I should put v0t-gt^2/2=-27, so the end of the elevator is 27 meters above the point the elevator was when the bolt departed?

Why the question mark ?

BvU said:
Why the question mark ?
I want to know if I'm correct.

That's for teacher to decide :smile: ! But I think you can be a lot more confident with this value than with the original 63 m !

And then I can use the formula v^2-vo^2=2gh?

Depends on what h means here. Would you substitute the -27 you found for h or the +27 m you answered as "end of the elevator is 27 meters above the point the elevator was when the bolt departed" ?

In fact your expression $$h = v_0 t + {1\over 2} a t^2 $$ (with a = -10 m/s2) is better formulated as $$h = h_0 + v_0 t + {1\over 2} a t^2 $$ so that you calculate ##h - h_0 = -27 ## m .
##h## is where the bolt is after 3 sec: at the starting point of the elevator. We can call that h = 0.
##h_0## is where the bolt is at t=0 when it comes apart from the elevator.
This way h0 comes out positive. And ##{1\over 2} mv^2 - {1\over 2} m v _0^2 = mgh_0## indeed.

Another, easier equation is ## v = v_0 + at ## with v0 = 6 m/s and a = -10 m/s2. It also directly provides the correct sign.

:smile:

Related to Find the height and the velocity of the object

1. How is the height of an object calculated?

In order to calculate the height of an object, you will need to know the initial height, the initial velocity, and the acceleration due to gravity. The formula for calculating height is h = h0 + v0t + 1/2at2, where h0 is the initial height, v0 is the initial velocity, t is the time, and a is the acceleration due to gravity.

2. What is the difference between height and altitude?

The terms height and altitude are often used interchangeably, but there is a slight difference. Height refers to the vertical distance of an object from the ground or a reference point, while altitude is the vertical distance of an object from sea level.

3. How is the velocity of an object determined?

The velocity of an object can be determined by dividing the change in position by the change in time. This is known as average velocity and is calculated using the formula v = (xf - xi) / (tf - ti), where xf and xi are the final and initial positions, and tf and ti are the final and initial times.

4. How does the mass of an object affect its height and velocity?

The mass of an object does not directly affect its height or velocity, but it does affect how the object moves. According to Newton's second law of motion, the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the force applied to it and inversely proportional to its mass. Therefore, a heavier object will require more force to reach a certain velocity or height compared to a lighter object.

5. Is it possible to find the height and velocity of an object at any given time?

Yes, it is possible to find the height and velocity of an object at any given time as long as you have enough information about its initial conditions and the forces acting on it. Using the equations for height and velocity, you can plug in the values for time and solve for the unknown variable. Keep in mind that these calculations assume that there are no external forces acting on the object, such as air resistance or friction.