Find the function for this Taylor series

In summary: However, as you pointed out, for W(-1/e), the series converges for all real values of x. So, yes, the condition |x|<1/e is not accurate for W(-x).
arithmetic
[itex]\sum_{m=0}^\infty \frac{(m-1)^{m-1}x^{m}}{m!}[/itex]

Interesting result...

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I doubt there is a closed form for it. Plus, it only converges if |x|<1/e. After looking at the graph, it's similar to the Lambert W function when |x|<1/e: [tex]-W(-x)=\sum_{m=1}^{\infty}{\frac{m^{m-1}x^{m}}{m!}}[/tex] Subtracting 1 from both sides will make it approximately equal to your sum. However, there is no way to manipulate my series to put yours in terms of the W function.

Last edited:
Another interesting thing of note, if [tex]f(x)=\sum_{m=0}^\infty \frac{(m-1)^{m-1}x^{m}}{m!}[/tex] then [tex]f'(x)=\sum_{n=0}^\infty \frac{n^{n}x^{n}}{n!}[/tex] as long as |x|<1/e.

Last edited:
so...
:-)

Lagrange inversion...

1/(1- ...) = ...

voilá

The Lagrange Inversion Theorem is used to find the inverse of a function. You didn't ask for the inverse in your original post :P

TheFool said:
After looking at the graph, it's similar to the Lambert W function when |x|<1/e: [tex]-W(-x)=\sum_{m=1}^{\infty}{\frac{m^{m-1}x^{m}}{m!}}[/tex] Subtracting 1 from both sides will make it approximately equal to your sum. However, there is no way to manipulate my series to put yours in terms of the W function.
How about this? Integrate W wrt x:
[tex]\sum_{m=1}^{\infty}{\frac{m^{m-1}x^{m+1}}{(m+1)!}} = \sum_{m=2}^{\infty}{\frac{(m-1)^{m-2}x^{m}}{m!}} = x\sum_{m=2}^{\infty}{\frac{(m-1)^{m-2}x^{m-1}}{m!}}[/tex]
Now divide by x and differentiate:
[tex]\sum_{m=2}^{\infty}{\frac{(m-1)^{m-1}x^{m-2}}{m!}}[/tex]
.. and finally multiply by x2

[edit] ... finally finally, add in the m = 1 term

Last edited:
Well, it would seem I don't belong posting in this forum. I shouldn't have missed that.

TheFool said:
Well, it would seem I don't belong posting in this forum. I shouldn't have missed that.

No, that`s wrong.

Yours is shorter and better. From what you stated, you just need one step further ...
and voilá, 1/ 1-...

arithmetic said:
No, that`s wrong.

Yours is shorter and better. From what you stated, you just need one step further ...
and voilá, 1/ 1-...

Did you actually know the answer to this problem??

arithmetic said:
[itex]\sum_{m=0}^\infty \frac{(m-1)^{m-1}x^{m}}{m!}[/itex]
Is this right?
[itex]f(x) = \sum_{m=0}^\infty \frac{(m-1)^{m-1}x^{m}}{m!} = xG(x) - ∫G(x)[/itex]
where G(x) = -W(-x).
Hence [itex]f(x) = ∫x.dG(x)[/itex]
But I don't know where we're trying to get to.

micromass said:
Did you actually know the answer to this problem??

yes, I know

p.3, 14

Last edited:
Even though I showed I really am a fool for missing something so obvious, I decided to finish this.

[tex]y=\sum_{m=0}^{\infty}\frac{(m-1)^{m-1}x^{m}}{m!}[/tex]
[tex]y'=\sum_{m=0}^{\infty}\frac{m^{m}x^{m}}{m!}[/tex]
Move on to the W function.
[tex]-W(-x)=\sum_{m=1}^{\infty}\frac{m^{m-1}x^{m}}{m!}[/tex]
Differentiate.
[tex]\frac{-W(-x)}{x(W(-x)+1)}=\sum_{m=1}^{\infty}\frac{m^{m}x^{m-1}}{m!}[/tex]
[tex]\frac{-W(-x)}{W(-x)+1}=\sum_{m=1}^{\infty}\frac{m^{m}x^{m}}{m!}[/tex]
Take note the subscript in that sum is m=1 instead of m=0.
[tex]y'=1-\frac{W(-x)}{W(-x)+1}[/tex]
[tex]y=\frac{x}{W(-x)}+C[/tex]
In another form.
[tex]y=-e^{W(-x)}+C[/tex]
Both are true when |x|<1/e.

Last edited:
Congratulations FOOL.
There are other ways to get the function, but yours is great and different to others I have seen in the literature.

Also congratulations to haruspex who did a great job, indeed, I wonder how you could posibly have found the function from your first post where you handled the sums, their indexes and the x's and x^2's...Just another note:
FOOL, you say |x|<1/e

however W(-1/e)=-1 and
y={1/e}/{W(-1/e)}+C= -1/e +C

What do you say about that?

Last edited:
I say that |x|<1/e since that is the radius of convergence of [tex]y=\sum_{m=0}^{\infty}\frac{(m-1)^{m-1}x^{m}}{m!}[/tex]

Related to Find the function for this Taylor series

What is a Taylor series?

A Taylor series is a mathematical representation of a function as an infinite sum of terms that are calculated from the values of the function's derivatives at a single point.

Why do we need to find the function for a Taylor series?

Finding the function for a Taylor series allows us to approximate a complicated function with a simpler one that is easier to work with. It also helps us to understand the behavior of a function around a specific point.

How do you find the function for a Taylor series?

To find the function for a Taylor series, we need to first determine the center point around which the series is based. Then, we calculate the derivatives of the function at that point and plug them into the general formula for a Taylor series.

What is the general formula for a Taylor series?

The general formula for a Taylor series is f(x) = f(c) + f'(c)(x-c) + (f''(c)/2!)(x-c)^2 + (f'''(c)/3!)(x-c)^3 + ...

What are some applications of Taylor series?

Taylor series are commonly used in mathematics, physics, and engineering to approximate functions, solve differential equations, and analyze the behavior of systems. They are also used in computer graphics and animation to create smooth curves and surfaces.