Find the formula for an affine function

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of an affine function and its form, as well as its relation to parallelograms in an affine space. It also mentions the formula for an affine function as F=3x-y+2 and the relationship between lines in R^2 and the vector [1,3].
Aleoa

Homework Statement

Schermata 2018-04-12 11:02:55.png

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't understand what an affine function [itex]\mathbb{R}^{2}\rightarrow \mathbb{R}[/itex] expresses... I don't know if it's a coordinate function.

And i also don't understand (i'm sorry) why for any parallelogram, u(P) + u(R) = u(Q) + u(S)

Attachments

• Schermata 2018-04-12 11:02:55.png
    Schermata 2018-04-12 11:02:55.png
    9.6 KB · Views: 755
Physics news on Phys.org
Aleoa said:
I don't understand what an affine function [itex]\mathbb{R}^{2}\rightarrow \mathbb{R}[/itex] expresses...
It's a function of the form ##\pmatrix{x\\y}\mapsto ax+by+c## for some real constants ##a,b,c##.
And i also don't understand (i'm sorry) why for any parallelogram, u(P) + u(R) = u(Q) + u(S)
This may be easier to understand if you deduct (u(R)+u(Q)) from both sides and then think of it in terms of vectors that are edges of the parallelogram.

An affine space is one in which the difference of any two elements is a vector, so it's usually easier to work with things in an affine space when they are expressed in terms of the difference of two elements. Performing the operation described in the previous paragraph does just that.

Likes Aleoa
andrewkirk said:
It's a function of the form ##\pmatrix{x\\y}\mapsto ax+by+c## for some real constants ##a,b,c##.

This may be easier to understand if you deduct (u(R)+u(Q)) from both sides and then think of it in terms of vectors that are edges of the parallelogram.

An affine space is one in which the difference of any two elements is a vector, so it's usually easier to work with things in an affine space when they are expressed in terms of the difference of two elements. Performing the operation described in the previous paragraph does just that.

Thanks so much. The formula is F=3x-y+2.

And, the lines u = constant in R^2 are all the lines perpendicular to the vector [1,3]. Is it correct ?

Aleoa said:
the lines u = constant in R^2 are all the lines perpendicular to the vector [1,3]. Is it correct ?
Perpendicular? or Parallel? Check which it is by substituting in a couple of values on the line y=3x, then a couple on a line perpendicular to that, and see for which pair the function gives the same value.

Likes Aleoa

Related to Find the formula for an affine function

1. What is an affine function?

An affine function is a type of mathematical function that describes a linear relationship between two variables. It can be written in the form f(x) = mx + b, where m is the slope and b is the y-intercept. It can also be thought of as a transformation that preserves parallel lines and ratios of distances.

2. How do you find the formula for an affine function?

To find the formula for an affine function, you need to have two points on the graph. Then, you can use the formula y = mx + b and plug in the coordinates of the points to solve for the slope (m) and y-intercept (b). Once you have these values, you can write the formula in the form f(x) = mx + b.

3. What is the difference between an affine function and a linear function?

An affine function and a linear function are both types of mathematical functions that describe a linear relationship between two variables. The main difference is that an affine function includes a y-intercept (b), whereas a linear function does not. This means that an affine function can have a vertical shift on the graph, while a linear function will always pass through the origin.

4. Can an affine function have a negative slope?

Yes, an affine function can have a negative slope. This means that the graph of the function will have a negative slope, or will slope downwards from left to right. This can also be interpreted as a negative correlation between the two variables in the function.

5. How can knowing the formula for an affine function be useful in real life?

Knowing the formula for an affine function can be useful in a variety of real-life situations, such as calculating finances, predicting trends, and understanding physical phenomena. For example, an affine function can be used to calculate the cost of a car rental, predict the sales of a product over time, or describe the relationship between distance and time in a moving object.