Find the force that the magnetic field applies on the wire

In summary: The magnetic field with B=10^-2 T applies on the wire with length 20 cm when it forms with the force the angle 30 grades when in it passes the intensity 5A.
zade70

Homework Statement

Find the force that the magnetic field with B=10^-2 T applies on the wire with length 20 cm when it forms with the force the angle 30 grades when in it passes the intensity 5A.

Homework Equations

F=B*I(intensity)*l(length)*sin alpha

The Attempt at a Solution

F=10^-2*5*0.2*0.5=5*10^-3
The solution in my book is 3.5*10^-3N

Physics news on Phys.org
zade70 said:
Find the force that the magnetic field with B=10^-2 T applies on the wire with length 20 cm when it forms with the force the angle 30 grades when in it passes the intensity 5A.

Homework Equations

i think by intensity 5A you mean the current through the wire.
the other angle given "when it forms with the force the angle 30 grades" what grades signifies- see conversion of grades to degree.

drvrm said:
i think by intensity 5A you mean the current through the wire.
the other angle given "when it forms with the force the angle 30 grades" what grades signifies- see conversion of grades to degree.
yes the current through the wire is 5 A and 30 grades=pi/6 radian

zade70 said:
yes the current through the wire is 5 A and 30 grades=pi/6 radian

So , one grade =pi/180 radians, then why one uses a different names-give reference

drvrm said:
So , one grade =pi/180 radians, then why one uses a different names-give reference
I translated it. but the angle is pi/6 radian

drvrm said:
If you understood the problem, could you tell me if I have done it correctly because my solution is different from the one in the book

zade70 said:
If you understood the problem, could you tell me if I have done it correctly because my solution is different from the one in the book

well i looked for the unit grade as angle measurer
The gradian is a unit of measurement of an angle, equivalent to 1⁄400 of aturn,[1] 9⁄10 of a degree or π⁄200 of a radian.

It is also known as gon (from Greek γωνία/gōnía for angle), grad, or grade. In continental Europe,
see details
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gradian

so if you use the conversion does the result change?

zade70 said:

the underlined statement is also to be clarified- paste a copy of the original problem.

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=xcnj0n&s=9#.Vw0EfJx95kg
drvrm said:
well i looked for the unit grade as angle measurer
The gradian is a unit of measurement of an angle, equivalent to 1⁄400 of aturn,[1] 9⁄10 of a degree or π⁄200 of a radian.

It is also known as gon (from Greek γωνία/gōnía for angle), grad, or grade. In continental Europe,
see details
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gradian

so if you use the conversion does the result change?
We use this kind of relationship in physics everyday. I'm sure that the angle is pi/6 radian

drvrm said:
the underlined statement is also to be clarified- paste a copy of the original problem.
http://postimg.org/image/tk7177rg7/
In this image Intensity is 5 Amper, the angle is pi/6 radian

Related to Find the force that the magnetic field applies on the wire

1. What is the formula for calculating the force exerted by a magnetic field on a wire?

The formula for calculating the force exerted by a magnetic field on a wire is F = BIL, where F is the force in Newtons, B is the magnetic field strength in Teslas, I is the current in amperes, and L is the length of the wire in meters.

2. How does the direction of the force on the wire relate to the direction of the magnetic field?

The force on the wire is perpendicular to both the direction of the magnetic field and the direction of the current. This is known as the right-hand rule. If you point your right thumb in the direction of the current, your fingers will curl in the direction of the magnetic field, and the force will be in the direction of your palm.

3. How does the strength of the current affect the force on the wire?

The force on the wire is directly proportional to the strength of the current. This means that the stronger the current, the greater the force exerted by the magnetic field on the wire.

4. Can the force on the wire be negative?

The force on the wire can be negative if the direction of the current is opposite to the direction of the magnetic field. In this case, the force will act in the opposite direction to the force calculated using the formula F = BIL.

5. How does the length of the wire affect the force exerted by the magnetic field?

The force on the wire is directly proportional to the length of the wire. This means that the longer the wire, the greater the force exerted by the magnetic field. However, the force is also dependent on the current and the strength of the magnetic field, so a longer wire may not necessarily experience a stronger force if these factors are different.