Find the finite sum of the square and cube exponent of integers

In summary, the finite sum of the square and cube exponent of integers refers to the sum of the powers of integers raised to the second and third power, respectively. It is important in various mathematical and scientific applications, and can be calculated using formulas or with a calculator. The sum cannot be negative, and it has real-life examples in finance, computer science, and physics.
Amer
Hey,
it is clear for me that
[tex] \sum_{i=1}^{n} i = \frac{n(n+1)}{2} [/tex]

how to find a formula for
[tex] \sum_{i=1}^{n} i^2 [/tex]
[tex] \sum_{i=1}^{n} i^3 [/tex]
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
One method is to use telescoping.

\(\displaystyle (n+1)^3-1^3\)​

\(\displaystyle =\ \sum_{i=1}^n\left[(i+1)^3-i^3\right]\)

\(\displaystyle =\ \sum_{i=1}^n\left[3i^2+3i+1\right]\)

\(\displaystyle =\ 3\sum_{i=1}^ni^2+\frac32n(n+1)+n\)

From this you should get \(\displaystyle \sum_{i=1}^ni^2=\frac{n(n+1)(2n+1)}6\).

For \(\displaystyle \sum_{i=1}^ni^3\), try \(\displaystyle (n+1)^4-1^4=\sum_{i=1}^n\left[(i+1)^4-i^4\right]\).

Re: find the finite sum of the square and cube exponent of integers

nice method thanks

Re: find the finite sum of the square and cube exponent of integers

Amer said:
Hey,
it is clear for me that
[tex] \sum_{i=1}^{n} i = \frac{n(n+1)}{2} [/tex]

how to find a formula for
[tex] \sum_{i=1}^{n} i^2 [/tex]
[tex] \sum_{i=1}^{n} i^3 [/tex]
Thanks

In general if...

$\displaystyle S_{n,k}= \sum_{i=1}^{n} i^{k}$ (1)

... then...

$\displaystyle \binom{k+1}{1}\ S_{n,1} + \binom{k+1}{2}\ S_{n,2} + ... + \binom{k+1}{k}\ S_{n,k}= (n+1)^{k+1} - (n+1)$ (1)

From (1) You easily obtain... $\displaystyle S_{n,k}= \frac{1}{\binom{k+1}{k}}\ \{(n+1)^{k+1} - (n+1) - \sum_{i=1}^{k-1}\ \binom {k+1}{i} S_{n,i}\ \}$ (2)

The (2) allows You, given $S_{n,1}$ to find $S_{n,2}$ and given $S_{n,1}$ and $S_{n,2}$ to find $S_{n,3}$ and if You want You can proceed... Kind regards $\chi$ $\sigma$

Related to Find the finite sum of the square and cube exponent of integers

1. What is the meaning of "finite sum of the square and cube exponent of integers"?

The finite sum of the square and cube exponent of integers refers to the sum of the powers of integers raised to the second and third power, respectively. For example, if we have the integers 1, 2, and 3, the finite sum would be 1^2 + 2^2 + 3^2 = 14 and 1^3 + 2^3 + 3^3 = 36.

2. Why is it important to find the finite sum of the square and cube exponent of integers?

Finding the finite sum of the square and cube exponent of integers can help in various mathematical and scientific applications. It can be used to solve problems involving series and sequences, as well as in calculating areas and volumes in geometry. It also has applications in physics, such as in determining the work done by a force or the energy of a system.

3. How do you calculate the finite sum of the square and cube exponent of integers?

To calculate the finite sum of the square and cube exponent of integers, you can use the formulas n(n+1)(2n+1)/6 and n^2(n+1)^2/4, respectively. These formulas can be derived from the sum of the first n natural numbers and the sum of the first n squares. Alternatively, you can use a calculator or computer program to compute the sum.

4. Can the finite sum of the square and cube exponent of integers be negative?

No, the finite sum of the square and cube exponent of integers cannot be negative. This is because raising an integer to an even power (such as the second power) will always result in a positive number, and raising an integer to an odd power (such as the third power) will preserve the sign of the integer. Therefore, the sum of these positive or zero numbers will always be positive or zero.

5. Are there any real-life examples of the finite sum of the square and cube exponent of integers?

Yes, there are many real-life examples where the finite sum of the square and cube exponent of integers is used. For instance, in finance, the compound interest formula uses the sum of the first n powers of a ratio to calculate the total amount of interest earned. In computer science, the sum of the first n powers of a number is used in calculating the time complexity of algorithms. Additionally, in physics, the sum of the first n powers of a number is used in calculating the moments of inertia for rotating objects.