Find the equations of 2 tangents to a curve with a POI

• Thread starter Arnoldjavs3
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Curve
In summary: If it matters, the homework problems I was provided with is about the intermediate value thereom. I'm having a hard time relating that to what's going on here.
Arnoldjavs3

Homework Statement

http://prntscr.com/czocek

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Okay, so the things I know before hand is that f'(x) = 4x^3
however, my question is since the problem states that the line that passes through (-1.25, -8) is tangent to the curve, wouldn't it have to satisfy f(x) = (-1.25)^4 = -8?
If it doesn't, that means it's not actually tangent to the curve? (I believe this is where my misunderstanding is founded from)

How can I visualize this question? I'm having a hard time answering it without having a grasp of what it could look like. The hint just confused me even more

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Arnoldjavs3 said:

Homework Statement

http://prntscr.com/czocek

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Okay, so the things I know before hand is that f'(x) = 4x^3
however, my question is since the problem states that the line that passes through (-1.25, -8) is tangent to the curve, wouldn't it have to satisfy f(x) = (-1.25)^4 = -8?
If it doesn't, that means it's not actually tangent to the curve? (I believe this is where my misunderstanding is founded from)

How can I visualize this question? I'm having a hard time answering it without having a grasp of what it could look like. The hint just confused me even more

Thanks

You need to draw a graph of the function ##f(x) = x^4## and the point ##(-1.25, -8)##.

You could get an approx answer from this graphically.

Then, you can apply the algebra to get a precise solution.

Note that a line tangent to a curve is not the curve! It only touches the curve at a single point.

PeroK said:
You need to draw a graph of the function ##f(x) = x^4## and the point ##(-1.25, -8)##.

You could get an approx answer from this graphically.

Then, you can apply the algebra to get a precise solution.

Note that a line tangent to a curve is not the curve! It only touches the curve at a single point.

I'm aware of what a tangent is, but(please don't take this the wrong way) am I not to use any calculus here?

If it matters, the homework problems I was provided with is about the intermediate value thereom. I'm having a hard time relating that to what's going on here.

Last edited:
Arnoldjavs3 said:
I'm aware of what a tangent is, but(please don't take this the wrong way) am I not to use any calculus here?

If it matters, the homework problems I was provided with is about the intermediate value thereom. I'm having a hard time relating that to what's going on here.

You don't need calculus - not more than the derivative you alraedy have. Have you drawn a diagram? What distingishes a tangent from the other two options for a line relative to the curve?

PS the hint tells you what to do. How far can you get with this problem?

Last edited:
Using the hint as you directed,

I can single out $$b=4a^4 + 5a^3 + 8$$Since the equation of the tangent lines is $y = m(x-x1) + y$, I would assume that I would substitute the slope $4a^3$ for m and then use a and b as points?

$$y=4a^3(x-a)+(4a^4 + 5a^3 - 8)$$
Am I on the right track here? If so,

$$4a^3x + 5a^3 - 8$$ is what I end up with, however I don't know what to do past this point(i'm assuming it's false to begin with)

Arnoldjavs3 said:
Using the hint as you directed,

I can single out $$b=4a^4 + 5a^3 + 8$$

This is what you were given by the hint. All you needed to do was notice that ##b = a^4## (as this is a point on the curve ##y = x^4##) and then solve the resulting quartic equation.

So, let me try to explain.

1) You have a specific point ##(-\frac{5}{4}, -8)##.

2) You want to consider all lines through this point. Let the slope of a line be ##m##. The equation of this line is then:

##y + 8 = m(x + \frac{5}{4})##

3) Some of these lines will not intersect the curve at all, and some will intersect the curve, either cutting through the curve or, in two cases, just touching the curve. If you drew a diagram, you would see this immediately and also see rougly what the slope ##m## must be for the line to be a tangent.

4) Where this line interects the curve you also have ##y = x^4##. So, for all points of intersection ##(a, b)## you have:

##b + 8 = m(a + \frac{5}{4})## and ##b = a^4##

Hence:

##a^4 + 8 = m(a + \frac{5}{4})##

5) In addition, if the point of intersection is a tangent point, then the slope of the line ##m## equals the slope of the curve ##4a^3## at that point. This gives an equation for any tangent points:

##a^4 + 8 = 4a^3(a + \frac{5}{4})##

Which simplifies to:

##3a^4 + 5a^3 - 8 = 0##

Now, all you have to do is solve this equation.

Does this make any sense?

I actually did end up solving this problem, but it is useful to know how the line with point(-1.25, -8) may or may not cross the curve(in this case it doesn't). Yeah I do understand what you're saying, it's just that on the midterm that I have upcoming I won't be allowed a calculator / paper to graph so I wanted to try solving it using only algebra.

The equations were $$y=-32(x+1)$$ and $$y=4x-3$$ from what I had gotten.

Err, is there a specific reason why I can't edit my posts from before?

Related to Find the equations of 2 tangents to a curve with a POI

1. What is a tangent line to a curve?

A tangent line to a curve is a straight line that touches the curve at one point, without intersecting it. It represents the instantaneous rate of change of the curve at that point.

2. What is a point of intersection (POI)?

A point of intersection (POI) is a point where two curves, lines, or surfaces meet or cross each other. In the context of finding the equations of tangents to a curve, the POI is the point where the tangent line touches the curve.

3. How do you find the equations of tangents to a curve with a POI?

To find the equations of tangents to a curve with a POI, you will need to use the derivative of the curve at the given point. This derivative will give you the slope of the tangent line, which you can then use to find the equation of the tangent line using the point-slope form.

4. How many tangents can a curve have at a single POI?

A curve can have two tangents at a single POI. This is because a curve can have two different slopes at a single point, and each slope corresponds to a different tangent line.

5. Is it possible for a curve to not have any tangents at a POI?

Yes, it is possible for a curve to not have any tangents at a POI. This occurs when the derivative of the curve at that point is undefined or does not exist. In this case, the curve will have a sharp point or cusp at the POI instead of a smooth tangent.