Find the equation of the tangent - Please help trying for 2 hours now.

• Thread starter hb2325
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Tangent
In summary: If r= 1/2, there is one point of intersection, (1/2, 0). And if r> 1/2, there are two points of intersection, one in the upper half plane, one in the lower half plane.In summary, the question is asking for the equation of the tangent to a circle that is centered at the origin and intersects the line x=1/2 at two points, one of which is in the lower half plane. The formula of the circle is x^2 + y^2 = r^2 and the radius can be found by using the points of intersection (1/2, y) and (0,0). However, the specific value of y
hb2325

Homework Statement

Ok so this is a question from last years past paper of my course:

X= 1/2 intersects the circle that is centered at origin at two points, one of which is in the lower half plane y<0; what is the equation of the tangent tot the same circle at this point?

Homework Equations

So basically x = 1/2 intersects the circle twice, so the points at which it intersects would have co-ordinates 1/2, y and I would use these to find radius to find the gradient of the x = tangent.

But so far I have been unable to find a value for the raidus or the point y where the circle intersects x = 1/2.

I have gotten ansers with respect to y but can not find the value of it and hence I am stuck

The Attempt at a Solution

forumla of the circle = X^2 + y^2 = r^2
so r^2 = 1/4 + y^2

Then i try to find the gradient of radius (0,0) to (1/2, y) which is 2y so the radius of the gradient of the tangent line is -1/2y but what is y :S am i missing something very obvious here? Please help.

Thank you.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
There exist an infinite number of circles with center at the origin. There exist an infinite number of points at which the line x= 1/2 crosses those circles. There are an infinite number of answers to this question depending on the radius of the circle. If you are not given the radius of the circle, you cannot give a specific answer.

Now that you said it, you're right, can't believe I did not see it earlier, I will just leave my anser in the form of y saying it depends on y.

Thanks a lot for the prompt and helpful reply :)

I think I would be more inclined to leave it in terms of r, the radius of the circle. Of course, if r< 1/2, there is no point of intersection.

Related to Find the equation of the tangent - Please help trying for 2 hours now.

What is the equation of the tangent line?

The equation of the tangent line is a linear equation that represents the slope of the curve at a specific point. It is written in the form y = mx + b, where m is the slope of the line and b is the y-intercept.

How do you find the equation of the tangent line?

To find the equation of the tangent line, you first need to find the derivative of the given curve. Then, plug in the x-coordinate of the point of tangency into the derivative to find the slope of the tangent line. Finally, use the point-slope form of a line to write the equation of the tangent line.

What is the point of tangency?

The point of tangency is the point where the tangent line touches the curve. At this point, the slope of the tangent line is equal to the slope of the curve.

Can you use any point on the curve to find the equation of the tangent line?

No, you cannot use any point on the curve to find the equation of the tangent line. You need to use a specific point of tangency in order to find the slope of the tangent line.

Why is finding the equation of the tangent line important?

Finding the equation of the tangent line is important because it allows us to determine the slope of the curve at a specific point. This can help us understand the behavior of the curve and make predictions about its future behavior.