Find the effective force constant ke

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem in which two springs with different spring constants are connected in series and parallel. The question is to find the effective force constant in each case. It is explained that in series, the force on each spring is equal, but the displacements add up. In parallel, each spring stretches by the same amount, making it easier to find the effective force constant.
Pupil
This isn't really a homework problem, but I've been going over these Yale problem sets for physics 200 (http://oyc.yale.edu/physics/fundamentals-of-physics/content/resources/problem_set_3.pdf" ), and I'm having trouble with one of the questions.

Homework Statement

Two springs have the same unstretched length but different spring constants k1 and
k2 . Find the effective force constant ke if they are connected in series and in parallel.
(To ¯nd ke, imagine stretching the combination by an amount x and keeping track
of the force needed.)

Homework Equations

f = ma
fs = -kx
Pupil = awesome

The Attempt at a Solution

So I figured the parallel spring constant out fairly easily, but I'm having trouble with the series one. The way I imagined it is we tie spring with constant [tex]k_1[/tex] to the wall, and tie spring with constant [tex]k_2[/tex] to spring with constant [tex]k_1[/tex], and finally pull [tex]k_1[/tex] by some amount A. Spring with [tex]k_1[/tex] will stretch by some amount A1 and spring with [tex]k_2[/tex] will stretch by some amount [tex]A_2[/tex]. Summing up, we have [tex]k_2A_2 + k_1A_1 = F[/tex]. The problem is I don't know what [tex]A_1[/tex] and [tex]A_2[/tex] are. I know the springs won't stretch the same amount, so I'm stuck with this ugly expression. Help me get unstuck (don't tempt me to look at the answers)! Thanks!

EDIT: The title was supposed to be Spring Constant in Series...Don't know what happened.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

Actually
[tex]
k_2A_2 + k_1A_1 = F
[/tex]

isn't right. Think about the point where the two springs connect. The first spring applies k1A1 to the second, and the second applies k2A2 to the first, so F=k1A1=k2A2. The problem should be easy from there.

Pupil said:
https://www.physicsforums.com/latex_images/22/2291913-7.png
[/URL]

That's not quite right. Springs in series experience the same force, so

k1A1 = k2A2 = F

However, the displacements add up, so we can also say

Anet = A1 + A2

-----

EDIT: Hey ideasrule, great minds think alike :biggrin:

Last edited by a moderator:

x1 is the extension produced by the force F in spring 1, similar for x2

The force on the first spring=force on the second spring
so we have

[tex]F=k_1x_1=k_2x_2[/tex]

Now the effective spring constant relates to F by this

F=kex (where x=x1+x2)

i.e. we have [itex]F=k_e(x_1+x_2)[/itex]

looks a bit unsettling right? BUT we know that [itex]F=k_1x_1=k_2x_2[/itex]

you can put either 'kx' equal (replace F) to the formula above, and replace the 'other' x using the relation in the last formula. You will understand what I mean when you do it.

For parallel:

Each spring will stretch by the same amount, so finding ke is easier here.

EDIT: seems ideasrule and Redbelly98 can type faster than me

Holy crap! The force of the second on the first is equal to the force of the first on the second. I forgot Newton's third law! *Face palm* Thanks guys. You rock!

Related to Find the effective force constant ke

1. What is the effective force constant ke?

The effective force constant ke is a measure of the strength of the force that is required to stretch or compress a material. It is typically denoted by the symbol k and is expressed in units of Newtons per meter (N/m).

2. How is the effective force constant ke determined?

The effective force constant ke is typically determined experimentally by measuring the displacement of a material under a known force. This data can then be used to calculate the effective force constant using the equation ke = F/x, where F is the applied force and x is the displacement.

3. What factors can affect the value of the effective force constant ke?

The value of the effective force constant ke can be affected by various factors such as the type of material, its dimensions, and its temperature. The stiffness or elasticity of a material can also impact the value of ke.

4. Can the effective force constant ke be negative?

No, the effective force constant ke cannot be negative. This is because it represents the strength of a force, and a negative value would indicate a repulsive force rather than an attractive force.

5. How is the effective force constant ke used in scientific research?

The effective force constant ke is an important parameter in various areas of scientific research, such as material science, physics, and engineering. It is used to study the mechanical properties of materials, determine the strength and stiffness of structures, and analyze the behavior of systems under different forces.