What should be the force constant of the spring?

In summary: You have the PE formula, so you can use it. Use it. You're done. :DYou may be able to write a differential equation for the motion and solve it. But that would probably be more effort than is... well, worthwhile. You have the PE formula, so you can use it. Use it. You're done. :D
David112234

Homework Statement

You are asked to design spring bumpers for the walls of a parking garage. A freely rolling 1100 kg car moving at 0.66 m/s is to compress the spring no more than 9.0×10−2m before stopping.

What should be the force constant of the spring? Assume that the spring has negligible mass.
Express your answer using two significant figures.

Homework Equations

F=ma
w=F*d
w=ΛKE

The Attempt at a Solution

I Know that the KE o the car is transferred into the PE of the spring
.5mv2=.5kx2
Using this method I found the right answer = 59155.5

But this question is in a chapter before PE is mentioned so Id like to see how else it can be solved. I initially tried this method, and would like to know why it is wrong:

The car must decelerate during this displacement so using kinematics:
02=662 + 2a(.09)
-.4356=2a(.09)
a= -2.42

F=ma
F=1100*-2.42
F=-2695
so the spring must apply the same force in the opposite direction to stop the cart
29577=k(.09)
k= 29577.8 (wrong answer)
So why is this method not applicable to this problem?

Also should integration be involved here somewhere? Where?

Physics news on Phys.org
The acceleration of the car and the force of the spring won't be constant, you cannot apply formulas that assume this.

Likes David112234
David112234 said:
But this question is in a chapter before PE is mentioned so Id like to see how else it can be solved. I initially tried this method, and would like to know why it is wrong:

02=662 + 2a(.09)
-.4356=2a(.09)
a= -2.42

F=ma
F=1100*-2.42
F=-2695
so the spring must apply the same force in the opposite direction to stop the cart
29577=k(.09)

The acceleration is not constant for this problem since the force increases as the spring compresses. The formula that you've chosen is one of the SUVAT equations which only apply when the acceleration is constant.

Two of your relevant equations involve work. Are those equations fair game for solving the problem?

Likes David112234
gneill said:
The acceleration is not constant for this problem since the force increases as the spring compresses. The formula that you've chosen is one of the SUVAT equations which only apply when the acceleration is constant.

Two of your relevant equations involve work. Are those equations fair game for solving the problem?
Well, the formula for work, KE_f - KE_i was derived by plugging one of the SUVAT equations into W=m*a*d
But, that equation can also be found by integration, so does Change in KE hold even when acceleration is not constant?

So how would I solve this problem not using spring PE and using integration?

David112234 said:

Homework Statement

You are asked to design spring bumpers for the walls of a parking garage. A freely rolling 1100 kg car moving at 0.66 m/s is to compress the spring no more than 9.0×10−2m before stopping.

What should be the force constant of the spring? Assume that the spring has negligible mass.
Express your answer using two significant figures.

Homework Equations

F=ma
w=F*d
w=ΛKE

The Attempt at a Solution

I Know that the KE o the car is transferred into the PE of the spring
.5mv2=.5kx2
Using this method I found the right answer = 59155.5

02=662 + 2a(.09)
-.4356=2a(.09)
a= -2.42

F=ma
F=1100*-2.42
F=-2695
29577=k(.09)

you have taken average deceleration 'a' throughout the motion but the the spring force builds up during its compression -its proportional to change in length- so 'a' will vary.

Likes David112234
David112234 said:
Well, the formula for work, KE_f - KE_i was derived by plugging one of the SUVAT equations into W=m*a*d
But, that equation can also be found by integration, so does Change in KE hold even when acceleration is not constant?
Yes, but you need to use a method that takes the changing acceleration into account, or bypasses it altogether (such as using conservation of energy and the change in PE).
So how would I solve this problem not using spring PE and using integration?
You know the expression for the force for a given distance of compression of the spring (Hooke's Law). Look at integrating F*d to find the work done; it's one of your relevant equations.

Likes David112234
gneill said:
Yes, but you need to use a method that takes the changing acceleration into account, or bypasses it altogether (such as using conservation of energy and the change in PE).

You know the expression for the force for a given distance of compression of the spring (Hooke's Law). Look at integrating F*d to find the work done; it's one of your relevant equations.

integrating hooks law i get :
∫kx
.5kx2

what can I do with this?

David112234 said:
integrating hooks law i get :
∫kx
.5kx2

what can I do with this?
Does it remind you of an energy formula that you used for your first attempt? :wink:

Likes David112234
gneill said:
Does it remind you of an energy formula that you used for your first attempt? :wink:

Hm, the potential energy of the spring. This represents the work since the integration is of Force over dl, so I set that to equal the negative work the car does on the spring and I end up with .5mv2=.5kx2 again. So it seems this is the only way to solve it?

David112234 said:
Hm, the potential energy of the spring. This represents the work since the integration is of Force over dl, so I set that to equal the negative work the car does on the spring and I end up with .5mv2=.5kx2 again. So it seems this is the only way to solve it?
You may be able to write a differential equation for the motion and solve it. But that would probably be more effort than is warranted.

Likes David112234
gneill said:
You may be able to write a differential equation for the motion and solve it. But that would probably be more effort than is warranted.
I prefer work energy theorem over differential equations. Can I ask for assistance in one more question very closely related to this in this thread?

David112234 said:
I prefer work energy theorem over differential equations. Can I ask for assistance in one more question very closely related to this in this thread?
You can ask. Once I see your question I'll tell you if it needs a separate thread.

Edit: After seeing the new material I decided that a new thread was in order.

Last edited:

Related to What should be the force constant of the spring?

1. What is the force constant of a spring?

The force constant of a spring, also known as the spring constant, is a measure of the stiffness of a spring. It is represented by the symbol k and is measured in units of Newtons per meter (N/m).

2. How is the force constant of a spring determined?

The force constant of a spring can be determined by measuring the amount of force required to stretch or compress the spring by a certain distance. This can be done using a spring scale or by using Hooke's law, which states that the force applied to a spring is directly proportional to the distance it is stretched or compressed.

3. What factors affect the force constant of a spring?

The force constant of a spring is affected by several factors, including the material the spring is made of, the thickness and length of the spring, and the number of coils in the spring. These factors determine the stiffness and elasticity of the spring, which in turn affect the force constant.

4. What is the relationship between the force constant and the frequency of a spring?

The force constant and the frequency of a spring are inversely proportional to each other. This means that as the force constant increases, the frequency decreases, and vice versa. This relationship can be described by the equation f = 1/(2π√(m/k)), where f is the frequency, m is the mass attached to the spring, and k is the force constant.

5. How does the force constant of a spring affect its behavior in a system?

The force constant of a spring affects its behavior in a system by determining how much force is required to stretch or compress the spring. This, in turn, affects how the spring will respond to external forces and how it will contribute to the overall dynamics of the system. A higher force constant results in a stiffer spring, while a lower force constant results in a more flexible spring.