Find the distance between objects and sound source

In summary, there are two microphones separated by a distance of 1.21m, with a source of sound located on the +x-axis at unknown distances L1 and L2 from the microphones. Using the speed of sound and the time difference between when the sound reaches each microphone, we can create two equations and solve for L1 and L2 using algebra. The final values for L1 and L2 are .996m and 1.57m, respectively.
jamiewilliams

Homework Statement

One microphone is located at the origin, and a second microphone is located on the +y-axis. The microphones are separated by a distance of D= 1.21m. A source of sound is located on the +x-axis, its distance from microphones 1 and 2 being L1 and L2, respectively. The speed of sound is 342 m/s. The sound reaches microphone 1 first, and then 1.67 ms later it reaches microphone 2. Find the distances (in m) of L1 and L2.

Homework Equations

x=vΔt

The Attempt at a Solution

First I converted 1.67 ms to .00167 s. I know that vΔt=the extra distance sound must travel to reach mic 2 (.57114 m) and I know that the sound source and two lengths create a right triangle, but I am stuck on how to get the length of L1.

Physics news on Phys.org
You have two unknowns, L1 and L2.

You know that D, L1, and L2 form a right triangle. That will give you one equation with the two unknowns.

You've already found the extra distance, and that tells you something about the relationship between L1 and L2 which you can use to write a second equation in the two unknowns.

You should be able to take it from there with a bit of algebra.

Nugatory said:
You've already found the extra distance, and that tells you something about the relationship between L1 and L2 which you can use to write a second equation in the two unknowns.

You should be able to take it from there with a bit of algebra.

I have L1^2 + (1.21)^2 = (L1 + .57114)^2 and I can't seem to move the algebra around to get the right answer for L1.

I know that (from the book) L1= .996m and L2= 1.57m, but I never arrive at the right answer. Am I missing a step or just getting the algebra wrong?

Related to Find the distance between objects and sound source

1. How is the distance between objects and a sound source measured?

The distance between objects and a sound source can be measured using a variety of techniques, such as using a measuring tape or laser rangefinder. However, in scientific experiments, it is often measured using the time it takes for sound to travel from the source to the object and back again. This is known as the time-of-flight method.

2. What factors can affect the accuracy of distance measurements for sound sources?

The accuracy of distance measurements for sound sources can be affected by a number of factors, including atmospheric conditions, the type of sound source, and the sensitivity of the measuring equipment. Additionally, background noise and obstacles between the objects and sound source can also impact the accuracy of the measurement.

3. Can distance measurements for sound sources be affected by the speed of sound?

Yes, the speed of sound can affect distance measurements for sound sources. The speed of sound varies depending on the medium it travels through, such as air, water, or solids. Therefore, the distance between objects and a sound source can be affected by the medium through which the sound is traveling.

4. Are there any limitations to measuring the distance between objects and a sound source?

Yes, there are limitations to measuring the distance between objects and a sound source. The accuracy of the measurement can be affected by the frequency of the sound, as well as any interference or reflections that may occur. Additionally, the distance measurement may not be accurate if the sound source is moving or if the objects are not stationary.

5. How can the distance between objects and a sound source be used in scientific research?

The distance between objects and a sound source is an important factor in many scientific experiments and studies. It can be used to determine the intensity and direction of sound waves, as well as to study the behavior of sound in different environments. This information can be applied in fields such as acoustics, engineering, and environmental science.