Find the dimensions of surface tension

In summary, the conversation is discussing how to determine whether two variables are directly proportional in physics. The phrase "directly proportional" means that the ratio of the two variables is a constant for all values. In the formula for surface tension, the directly proportional sign can be replaced with an equals sign when multiplied by a dimensionless constant. To find the SI units for surface tension, the constant can be ignored and the units would be kg/s2.
lab-rat
I would really appreciate some help with this!

physics.jpg

h= (L)
r=(L)
p=(ML-3)
g=(LT-2)

I just don't know what to do with the directly proportional sign. Should I isolate the surface tension before or after adding the constant?

Physics news on Phys.org

http://www.wikihow.com/Determine-Whether-Two-Variables-Are-Directly-Proportional

Which is from:

http://www.google.com/webhp?hl=en&t..._gc.r_pw.&fp=1fa7c254c97e187f&biw=800&bih=417

"Understand what the phrase directly proportional means. A very common misconception is that two variables are directly proportional if one increases as the other increases. Two variables are said to be directly proportional if, and only if, their ratio is a constant for all values of each variable. Thus when one variable is divided by the other, the answer is always a constant. "

So in the formula for surface tension I think that the proportional sign can be replaced with an equals sign when the formula is multiplied by a dimensionless constant?

See also:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surface_tension#Two_definitions

lab-rat said:
I just don't know what to do with the directly proportional sign. Should I isolate the surface tension before or after adding the constant?

The directly proportional sign means a multiplicative constant K which is dimensionless. So

[itex] h=K \frac{\gamma}{r \rho g}[/itex]

ehild

So from there I can isolate surface tension and find its dimensions?

surface tension = (L)(L)(ML-3)(LT-2) / k

=M/kT2

Now how do I find the SI units with a constant in there?

As ehild said, that constant is dimensionless so you can just ignore it.

Oh ok, so the SI units would be kg/s2 ?

Related to Find the dimensions of surface tension

1. What is surface tension?

Surface tension is a physical property of liquids that describes the force exerted on the surface of a liquid due to the cohesive forces between its molecules.

2. How is surface tension measured?

Surface tension is typically measured in units of force per unit length, such as newtons per meter (N/m) or dynes per centimeter (dyn/cm).

3. What factors affect surface tension?

The surface tension of a liquid is affected by factors such as temperature, the type of liquid, and the presence of solutes or other substances in the liquid.

4. What is the significance of surface tension?

Surface tension plays a crucial role in many natural phenomena, such as the formation of droplets, the movement of insects and small animals on water surfaces, and the capillary action that allows plants to transport water and nutrients.

5. How can surface tension be calculated?

The dimensions of surface tension can be calculated using the formula T = F / L, where T is surface tension, F is the force acting on the surface, and L is the length of the surface over which the force is acting.