Relationship between Excess Pressure and Surface Tension for a Drop on a Fibre

In summary: I'll come back to you on this.In summary, the conversation discusses finding the excess pressure of a drop of radius ##R## deposited on a fibre of radius ##b## using the Yong-Laplace equation. The conversation also mentions the use of two different formulas for ##R_1## and ##R_2##, with one formula being used for the XY plane and the other for a plane at right angles to the tangent plane of the surface. The explanation for this involves tipping the plane at an angle θ and the centre of curvature remaining on the x-axis. However, further elaboration is needed to prove this.
Raihan amin

Homework Statement

Think of a drop of radius ##R## deposited on a fibre of radius ##b(b<<L)##.Find ##{\Delta{P}}##

Homework Equations

The relationship between excess pressure and the surface tension is given by Yong-Laplace equation,
$$\Delta{P} = \sigma{(\frac{1}{R_1}+\frac{1}{R_2})}$$

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
Here i can't figure out what will be ##R_1##and##R_2## .I know that the curvature of radius is defined as $$R=\frac{y''}{(1+y'^2)^\frac 3 2 }$$ if ##y'##is the derivative of y with respect to ##x##.But in the solution, they have used two different formula for ##R_1## and ##R_2##.
Can anyone help me understand these?

Attachments

• IMG_20190314_084826_557.jpg
    IMG_20190314_084826_557.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 186
  • IMG_20190314_084923_959.jpg
    IMG_20190314_084923_959.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 180
Physics news on Phys.org
Raihan amin said:

Homework Statement

Think of a drop of radius ##R## deposited on a fibre of radius ##b(b<<L)##.Find ##{\Delta{P}}##

Homework Equations

The relationship between excess pressure and the surface tension is given by Yong-Laplace equation,
$$\Delta{P} = \sigma{(\frac{1}{R_1}+\frac{1}{R_2})}$$

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
Here i can't figure out what will be ##R_1##and##R_2## .I know that the curvature of radius is defined as $$R=\frac{y''}{(1+y'^2)^\frac 3 2 }$$ if ##y'##is the derivative of y with respect to ##x##.But in the solution, they have used two different formula for ##R_1## and ##R_2##.
Can anyone help me understand these?
You need two radii of curvature lying in planes at right angles to each other and at right angles to the tangent plane of the surface.
The formula you quote is correct for the XY plane. The other plane is a bit tricky. A vertical slice gives a radius of y, but that plane is not at right angles to the tangent plane. To get the correct plane you have to tip it over at angle θ, as shown. The centre of curvature is still on the x-axis (is this obvious?) so the radius is y sec(θ).

Likes Raihan amin
haruspex said:
The centre of curvature is still on the x-axis (is this obvious?) so the radius is y sec(θ).
Can you elaborate it,please ?

Raihan amin said:
Can you elaborate it,please ?
Are you asking for proof that the centre of curvature is still on the x axis? If not, what?

haruspex said:
Are you asking for proof that the centre of curvature is still on the x axis? If not, what?
Yes,i am asking for that

Raihan amin said:
Yes,i am asking for that
I can't think of a simple argument... looks reasonable but I need to think some more.

What is a drop deposited on a fibre?

A drop deposited on a fibre refers to a liquid droplet that has been placed or fallen onto a fiber material, such as a strand of hair or a piece of fabric.

What factors affect the behavior of a drop deposited on a fibre?

The behavior of a drop deposited on a fibre can be affected by several factors, including the surface tension of the liquid, the wettability of the fiber, the size and shape of the droplet, and the properties of the fiber material.

How is the contact angle of a drop on a fibre measured?

The contact angle of a drop on a fibre can be measured using a tool called a goniometer, which measures the angle between the drop and the surface of the fiber. This angle can provide information about the wetting behavior of the liquid on the fiber surface.

What applications does studying drops on fibres have?

Studying drops on fibres has a wide range of applications, including understanding the behavior of liquids in microfluidic devices, designing self-cleaning and water-repellent surfaces, and developing new materials for drug delivery and biomedical applications.

What are some techniques used to control the behavior of drops on fibres?

Some techniques used to control the behavior of drops on fibres include surface modification of the fiber material, using external electric or magnetic fields to manipulate the droplet, and changing the temperature or humidity of the environment.