Find the diameter of a circle given linear velocity?

In summary, we need to find the diameter of a circular object given its linear velocity and the number of revolutions per minute. Using the formula v = ωr, we can solve for r and then convert it to d = 2r to find the diameter. After converting the given values to the appropriate units, we get a diameter of approximately 167.2 ft. It is worth noting that the units used in the problem (miles per hour for linear velocity and revolutions per minute for angular velocity) make the calculation more complicated, but we can still arrive at the correct answer.
fluffertoes
[SOLVED] Find the diameter of a circle given linear velocity?

Hello all! I need help with a certain type of problem. I do not know how I can find the diameter of a circular object given it's linear velocity. Here is an example problem, and I would love any explanation you could give me! Thanks! :))

Leaving the Ferris Wheel, Daniel sees his friend, Jenna, riding the Super Circle Swings. As he watches, she goes around 10 times in one minute. The sign on the ride claims that the swings travel 19mph. What is the diameter of the ride if the sign is correct?

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
fluffertoes said:
Hello all! I need help with a certain type of problem. I do not know how I can find the diameter of a circular object given it's linear velocity. Here is an example problem, and I would love any explanation you could give me! Thanks! :))

Leaving the Ferris Wheel, Daniel sees his friend, Jenna, riding the Super Circle Swings. As he watches, she goes around 10 times in one minute. The sign on the ride claims that the swings travel 19mph. What is the diameter of the ride if the sign is correct?
Hint: \(\displaystyle v = \omega r\)

How do you find \(\displaystyle \omega\) ? I'd advised changing the 19 mi/h to ft/min.

-Dan

topsquark said:
Hint: \(\displaystyle v = \omega r\)

How do you find \(\displaystyle \omega\) ? I'd advised changing the 19 mi/h to ft/min.

-Dan

Oh my, are people ever going to switch to a system, not necessarily the metric system, that doesn't require a factor or divisor of, say, 88? (Wondering)

I like Serena said:
Oh my, are people ever going to switch to a system, not necessarily the metric system, that doesn't require a factor or divisor of, say, 88? (Wondering)

I really just don't know what to do...

Let's begin by taking the formula Dan provided, and solve for $r$:

\(\displaystyle r=\frac{v}{\omega}\)

Now, we know the radius $r$ is half the diameter $d$:

\(\displaystyle d=\frac{2v}{\omega}\)

We are given:

\(\displaystyle v=19\text{ mph}\cdot\frac{5280\text{ ft}}{1\text{ mi}}\cdot\frac{1\text{ hr}}{60\text{ min}}=1672\,\frac{\text{ft}}{\text{min}}\)

Now we need to turn 10 revolutions per minutes into an angular velocity given in radians (dimensionless) per minute:

\(\displaystyle \omega=10\,\frac{\text{rev}}{\text{min}}\cdot\frac{2\pi}{1\text{ rev}}=20\pi\,\frac{1}{\text{min}}\)

So, plug in these values...what do you get for $d$?

I like Serena said:
Hey, you're preaching to the choir. But, given the units, I figure the answer will be in ft.

-Dan

Related to Find the diameter of a circle given linear velocity?

1. What is the formula for finding the diameter of a circle given linear velocity?

The formula for finding the diameter of a circle given linear velocity is d = v/ω, where d is the diameter, v is the linear velocity, and ω is the angular velocity.

2. How do you calculate the linear velocity of a circle?

To calculate the linear velocity of a circle, you can use the formula v = ωr, where v is the linear velocity, ω is the angular velocity, and r is the radius of the circle.

3. Can you explain the relationship between linear velocity and angular velocity in a circle?

The linear velocity and angular velocity in a circle are directly proportional. This means that as the angular velocity increases, the linear velocity also increases, and vice versa.

4. Is it possible to find the diameter of a circle given only the linear velocity?

Yes, it is possible to find the diameter of a circle given only the linear velocity. As long as you know the angular velocity or the radius of the circle, you can use the formula d = v/ω or d = 2v/ω to calculate the diameter.

5. Can you provide an example of finding the diameter of a circle given linear velocity?

Yes, for example, if a car is traveling at a linear velocity of 50 meters per second in a circular track with an angular velocity of 0.5 radians per second, we can use the formula d = v/ω to find the diameter. Substituting the values, we get d = 50/0.5 = 100 meters. Therefore, the diameter of the circular track is 100 meters.