Geometry Problem: Find Shaded Area Given Triangle & Inner Circle

In summary, the problem is to find the shaded area of a triangle given its side lengths and the distances of its vertices to the circumcenter. The solution involves the assumption that the two circles are concentric, as indicated by the diagram, and would be more complicated if they were not. The problem also assumes that the outer circle is the circumcircle of the triangle and the inner circle is tangent to the midpoint of AB.
Nono713
Gold Member
MHB
Here's a nice geometry problem, not hard at all if you can see what's really going on.

You are given the lengths AB, AC and BC of the triangle, as well as the distances of all three of the vertices to the triangle's circumcenter O. The inner circle is tangent to (AB). Find the shaded area.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-qqF-3y81rvI/UQjt7jishKI/AAAAAAAAAII/gP8G0dgKCmc/w497-h373/cercles.gif

Solution (don't click if you want to work it out yourself!):

Let M be the midpoint of [AB]. Then (OM) is perpendicular to (AB). We know |OA|, so by Pythagoras we have:

$$|OA|^2 = |OM|^2 + |AM|^2 = |OM|^2 + \left ( \frac{1}{2} |AB| \right )^2$$

Because the inner circle is tangent to (AB) at M (as $|OA| = |OB|$) its area is:

$$A_\text{inner} = \pi |OM|^2 = \pi \left [ |OA|^2 - \left ( \frac{1}{2} |AB| \right )^2 \right ]$$

And the area of the outer circle is just:

$$A_\text{outer} = \pi |OA|^2$$

Thus the area of the shaded region is:

$$A_\text{shaded} = A_\text{outer} - A_\text{inner} = \pi |OA|^2 - \pi \left [ |OA|^2 - \left ( \frac{1}{2} |AB| \right )^2 \right ] = \pi \left ( \frac{1}{2} |AB|\right )^2 = \frac{\pi}{4} |AB|^2$$

The maximum value for $|AB|$ is clearly $2 |OA|$ when [AB] is a diameter of the circumcircle, thus $A_\text{shaded} \leqslant A_\text{outer}$.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
What is the meaning of "x" ,in your diagram ?

people will misunderstand that x is the center of the small

circle .

I think your solution is based on the assumption that the

two circles are concentric circles

(but your problem did not reveal this fact )

If they are not concentric circles,the solution will be much

more complicated,

(in this case point M is not on the small circle)

How do you think ?

Last edited:
Albert said:
What is the meaning of "x" ,in your diagram ?

people will misunderstand that x is the center of the small

circle .

I think your solution is based on the assumption that the

two circles are concentric circles

(but your problem did not reveal this fact )

If they are not concentric circles,the solution will be much

more complicated,

(in this case point M is not on the small circle)

How do you think ?

There is no "x", it's indeed just a cross indicating the centre O of the inner and outer circles. I thought that was clear enough (and the diagram is not mine). The two circles must be concentric, it follows from the fact that the outer circle is the circumcircle of the triangle (stated in the problem) and that the inner circle is clearly tangent to the midpoint of AB, by |OA| = |OB|.

Related to Geometry Problem: Find Shaded Area Given Triangle & Inner Circle

1. How do I find the shaded area of a triangle with an inner circle?

To find the shaded area of a triangle with an inner circle, you first need to find the area of the triangle. This can be done by multiplying the base of the triangle by its height and dividing by 2. Next, you need to find the area of the circle using the formula A = πr², where r is the radius of the circle. Finally, you can subtract the area of the circle from the area of the triangle to get the shaded area.

2. Can I use any formula to find the shaded area?

No, the formula used to find the shaded area will depend on the specific problem. In general, you will need to use a combination of formulas to find the area of both the triangle and the circle before subtracting them to find the shaded area.

3. What if the triangle is not a right triangle?

If the triangle is not a right triangle, you will need to use a different formula to find its area. For example, if you are given the lengths of all three sides of the triangle, you can use Heron's formula: A = √(s(s-a)(s-b)(s-c)), where s is the semi-perimeter and a, b, and c are the lengths of the sides.

4. Is there a specific unit of measurement that should be used for the area?

The unit of measurement used for the area will depend on the units used for the triangle and circle. Make sure to use consistent units throughout your calculations to get an accurate result.

5. Can I use the Pythagorean theorem to find the shaded area?

No, the Pythagorean theorem can only be used to find the length of the sides of a right triangle. It cannot be used to find the area of a triangle or a circle.