Find the derivative of the function V(P)= k/P

In summary, the conversation discusses attempting to find the derivative of the function V(P) = k/P, which is found to be V'(P) = kP^-1. The value of k is then substituted in and a resulting value is obtained. The conversation also mentions the importance of not losing the constant factor k in the derivative calculation.
ver_mathstats
Homework Statement
We are given the function V(P) =k/P. When 𝑉(𝑃) is measured in liters (L) and 𝑃 is measured in atmospheres (atm), the units of 𝑘, a constant based on the identity of the gas, are litres per atmosphere (L/atm). If 𝑘=8.60, what is the instantaneous rate of change of the chamber’s volume with respect to pressure, V'(P) or 𝑑𝑉/𝑑𝑃, when the gas exerts 1.30 atm of pressure on the chamber’s surface? Round your answer to the nearest tenth of a litre per atmosphere.

Find V'(1.30).
Relevant Equations
V(P) =k/P, V'(P)
I tried to find the derivative of the function V(P)= k/P which I found to be:

V'(P) = kP-1 V'(P) = (1)(-1)(P)-1-1 = -1/(P2)

And then I substituted in 1.30 into the derivative to obtain -0.5917 L/atm. And I am kind of confused how to actually find the derivative of this. I thought I was on the right track but I got it wrong, and I don't really know where I would use the k=8.60.

Physics news on Phys.org
You have lost your constant factor ##k##. For ##f(x)=k\cdot g(x)## we have ##f'(x)=k\cdot g'(x)##. You substituted it by ##k=1##.

Likes Delta2
fresh_42 said:
You have lost your constant factor ##k##. For ##f(x)=k\cdot g(x)## we have ##f'(x)=k\cdot g'(x)##. You substituted it by ##k=1##.
Okay, thank you. I got -5.1.

Related to Find the derivative of the function V(P)= k/P

1. What is the derivative of V(P)?

The derivative of V(P) is the rate of change of the function with respect to its independent variable, P. It can be found by using the power rule, which states that the derivative of a function raised to a constant power is equal to the constant multiplied by the function to the power of the constant minus one.

2. How do you find the derivative of V(P)?

To find the derivative of V(P), we first need to rewrite the function as a power function. In this case, V(P) can be rewritten as k * P^-1. Then, we use the power rule to find the derivative, which is equal to -k * P^-2.

3. Can the derivative of V(P) be negative?

Yes, the derivative of V(P) can be negative. This means that the function is decreasing at that point.

4. What does the derivative of V(P) represent?

The derivative of V(P) represents the instantaneous rate of change of the function at a specific point. This can be interpreted as the slope of the tangent line at that point.

5. How can the derivative of V(P) be used in real-life applications?

The derivative of V(P) can be used in various real-life applications, such as economics and physics. In economics, it can be used to find the marginal cost, which is the change in cost when one more unit is produced. In physics, it can be used to find the velocity and acceleration of an object at a particular point in time.