Find the Derivative - Basic Calculus

In summary, a derivative is a mathematical concept that represents the rate of change of a function at a given point. Its purpose is to determine how a function is changing at a specific point and can be used to find maximum and minimum values, slope of a tangent line, and solve optimization problems. To find the derivative of a polynomial function, the power rule is used. The derivatives of trigonometric functions can also be found using trigonometric identities and the chain rule. The concept of a derivative is important in calculus as it serves as the foundation for many other important concepts and allows us to analyze the behavior of functions and make predictions.
bobraymund

Homework Statement

Find the first and second derivatives of the function.

Homework Equations

calc0.gif

The Attempt at a Solution

This was an even problem, so I have done the work but not completely sure that my answers I got are correct. Here's what I got:

calc2.gif

calc3.gif

Much appreciated,
Bob

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
It looks fine to me. :cool:

Bob, I got the same result as you did.

blake knight said:
Bob, I got the same result as you did.

Cool, thanks guys.

-Bob

Related to Find the Derivative - Basic Calculus

1. What is the definition of a derivative?

A derivative is a mathematical concept that represents the rate of change of a function at a given point. It is commonly denoted as f'(x) or dy/dx and is calculated by taking the limit of the change in the output of the function divided by the change in the input as the change approaches 0.

2. What is the purpose of finding a derivative?

The main purpose of finding a derivative is to determine how a function is changing at a specific point. It can also be used to find the maximum and minimum values of a function, determine the slope of a tangent line, and solve optimization problems.

3. How do you find the derivative of a polynomial function?

To find the derivative of a polynomial function, you can use the power rule. This rule states that the derivative of x^n is equal to n*x^(n-1). You can apply this rule to each term in the polynomial and add the resulting terms together to find the derivative of the entire function.

4. Can you find the derivative of a trigonometric function?

Yes, the derivatives of trigonometric functions can be found using the trigonometric identities and the chain rule. For example, the derivative of sin(x) is cos(x) and the derivative of cos(x) is -sin(x).

5. Why is the concept of a derivative important in calculus?

The concept of a derivative is important in calculus because it is the foundation for many other important concepts, such as integration, optimization, and related rates. It also allows us to analyze the behavior of functions and make predictions about their values and rates of change.