Find the COG of two cubic curves

In summary, the first part of the question requires finding the center of gravity of the curve y=[1-x]*x^2 in the interval x=0 to x=1, which is (0.6,0.0571). The second part asks for the center of gravity of another cubic curve y=x[1-x]^2, but without using integration. By observing that one curve is the reflection of the other in the line x=1/2 and that replacing x with 1-x in one curve gives the other, a shortcut can be used to find the center of gravity. COG can stand for center of gravity, center of mass, centroid, or barycenter.
hms.tech
The first part of the question asks to find the COG of the curve y=[1-x]*x^2 in the interval x=0 to x=1

I found that correctly as (0.6,0.0571)

The next part asks to find the COG of another cubic curve y=x[1-x]^2
But without using integration but by using the result of the first part of the question.

I have absolutely no clue of how to proceed forward.
Please help.
I have tried drawing both curves but it was of no use.

Physics news on Phys.org
hms.tech said:
The first part of the question asks to find the COG of the curve y=[1-x]*x^2 in the interval x=0 to x=1

I found that correctly as (0.6,0.0571)

The next part asks to find the COG of another cubic curve y=x[1-x]^2
But without using integration but by using the result of the first part of the question.

I have absolutely no clue of how to proceed forward.
Please help.
I have tried drawing both curves but it was of no use.

Look at your graphs again. One of them is the reflection of the other in the line ##x=1/2##. Another thing to notice is if you replace ##x## by ##1-x## in one graph it gives the other. You should be able to use these observations for a shortcut.

What is COG?

I assume "center of gravity".

I'm still debating between "Canberra Ornithologists Group" and "Canadian Organic Growers".

Thanks, I got it...you are a genius (@lckurtz)

FYI, it is centre of gravity,centre of mass, centroid

Related to Find the COG of two cubic curves

1. What is the COG of two cubic curves?

The COG (Center of Gravity) of two cubic curves is the point at which the combined mass of the two curves is evenly distributed, meaning that the sum of all the forces acting on the curves is zero. It is also known as the balance point or centroid.

2. How is the COG of two cubic curves calculated?

The COG of two cubic curves can be calculated by finding the individual COG of each curve and then using the formula COG = (m1*d1 + m2*d2) / (m1 + m2), where m1 and m2 are the masses of the two curves and d1 and d2 are the distances of their respective COGs from a chosen reference point.

3. What is the significance of finding the COG of two cubic curves?

Finding the COG of two cubic curves is important in various fields such as physics, engineering, and design. It helps determine the stability and balance of a system, and can also be used to find the optimal placement of objects to achieve equilibrium.

4. Can the COG of two cubic curves be outside of the curves?

Yes, the COG of two cubic curves can be outside of the curves. This can happen if one curve has a significantly larger mass than the other, or if the curves are not symmetrical. In such cases, the COG may lie in the empty space between the curves.

5. Are there any practical applications of finding the COG of two cubic curves?

Yes, there are many practical applications of finding the COG of two cubic curves. For example, it is used in architecture to design stable and balanced structures, in sports to analyze the balance of athletes, and in transportation to determine the safe loading and distribution of weight in vehicles.