Find the characteristic polynomial

In summary, the easiest way to show that a vector a is an eigenvector for a n x n matrix B and find the corresponding eigenvalue is by using the defining equation for an eigenvalue, Bx= \lambdax, and comparing the left and right sides after multiplying B and a. This method was demonstrated by using a specific example of a matrix and vector.
Niles

Homework Statement

If I have a n x n matrix B, and I must show that a vector a is an eigenvector for the matrix B and I have to find the corresponding eigenvalue, what is the easiest way of doing this?

The Attempt at a Solution

I know I can find the characteristic polynomial, but I thought that there is perhaps an easier way?

Physics news on Phys.org
Look at Ba?

Ahh yes, thanks :-)

Write out the defining equation for an eigenvalue, Bx= [itex]\lambda[/itex]x, of course. You know x= a and you know B. Go ahead and do the multiplication on the left and compare it to the right side!

For example if you know that
[tex]A= \left[\begin{array}{cc} -3 & 15 \\ -2 & 8 \end{array}\right][/tex]
and
[tex]a= \left[\begin{array}{c} 5 \\ 2\end{array}\right][/tex]
is an eigenvector of B, and want to find the corresponding eigenvalue, [itex]\lambda[/itex]

[tex]\left[\begin{array}{cc} -3 & 15 \\ -2 & 8 \end{array}\right]\left[\begin{array}{c} 5 \\ 2\end{array}\right]= \lambda\left[\begin{array}{c} 5 \\ 2\end{array}\right][/tex]

[tex]\left[\begin{array}{c} 15 \\ 6\end{array}\right]= \left[\begin{array}{c} \lambda 5 \\ \lambda 2\end{array}\right][/tex]
So we must have [itex]15= 5\lambda[/itex] and [itex]6= 2\lambda[/itex]. Obviously, [itex]\lambda= 3[/itex] satisfies both. (If the same [itex]\lambda[/itex] had not satisfied both, then the given vector was not an eigenvector.)

(Edit: Or I could have just said "look at Ba"!)

Nono, because in the example with "Ba" the eigenvalue was 0, so I thought the method was different from the one you showed in your example.

Thanks to both of you.

Related to Find the characteristic polynomial

1. What is the characteristic polynomial?

The characteristic polynomial is a polynomial that is associated with a square matrix. It is used to find the eigenvalues of the matrix, which are important values that describe the behavior of the matrix in various mathematical operations.

2. How do you find the characteristic polynomial of a matrix?

To find the characteristic polynomial of a matrix, you need to first calculate the determinant of the matrix. Then, you need to subtract the identity matrix multiplied by the eigenvalue from the original matrix. Finally, you need to set the resulting determinant equal to zero and solve for the eigenvalue. The resulting equation is the characteristic polynomial.

3. What is the significance of the characteristic polynomial?

The characteristic polynomial is significant because it allows us to find the eigenvalues of a matrix, which are useful in many applications of linear algebra. Eigenvalues can tell us about the stability of a system, the rate of change in a system, and other important properties of the matrix. They are also used in solving systems of differential equations and in other areas of mathematics.

4. Can the characteristic polynomial have complex roots?

Yes, the characteristic polynomial can have complex roots. This is because complex eigenvalues can also be associated with a matrix. In fact, if a matrix has real coefficients, then the complex roots of the characteristic polynomial must occur in complex conjugate pairs.

5. Is there a shortcut for calculating the characteristic polynomial?

Yes, there are some shortcuts for calculating the characteristic polynomial in certain cases. For example, if the matrix is diagonal, then the characteristic polynomial is simply the product of the diagonal entries. Additionally, if the matrix is upper or lower triangular, then the characteristic polynomial can be found by taking the product of the entries on the main diagonal. However, in most cases, the standard method of calculating the determinant and solving for the eigenvalues is necessary to find the characteristic polynomial.