Find the centripetal acceleration of the space shuttle

In summary, the centripetal acceleration of the space shuttle in its orbit, expressed in terms of g, is 0.9 g's. The conversion of 400 km to m and the use of the correct radius are important factors in finding the correct answer. It is recommended to show the actual calculations for further assistance.
ambitiousgirl
1. Suppose a space shuttle is in orbit 400 km from the Earth's surface, and circles the eart about once every 90 minutes. Find the centripetal acceleration of the space shuttle in its orbit. Express your answer in terms of g, the gravitational acceleration at the Earth's surface.

2. Ac=v2/r

3. I tried converting 400km/1.5 hr to km/h...then to m/s and divided by 90 min to find the centripetal acceleration, then divinding this answer by 9.8 to find the final answer in g's.

The answer is supposed to be .9 g's.

I have tried this probelm a million times, and I honestly think that my mistake is in converting 400km. I'm not sure though...

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You haven't used 400 km as the radius, have you? The radius is the distance to the center of the Earth, not to the surface. Recommend you show your actual calc if you need more help.

I would suggest using the formula a = v^2/r to calculate the centripetal acceleration of the space shuttle. In this case, the velocity (v) would be the distance traveled in one orbit divided by the time taken, which is 400 km/90 minutes. This would give us a velocity of approximately 4.44 km/s. The radius (r) would be the distance from the Earth's center to the space shuttle, which is 400 km + the radius of the Earth (approximately 6378 km). This gives us a radius of 6778 km.

Plugging these values into the formula, we get a centripetal acceleration of approximately 0.878 g's. This is slightly lower than the expected answer of 0.9 g's, but it could be due to rounding errors in the conversions.

In conclusion, to find the centripetal acceleration of the space shuttle in its orbit, we can use the formula a = v^2/r, where v is the orbital velocity and r is the distance from the center of the Earth. This will give us a value in g's, which represents the acceleration due to gravity at the Earth's surface.

Related to Find the centripetal acceleration of the space shuttle

What is centripetal acceleration?

Centripetal acceleration is the acceleration experienced by an object moving in a circular path. It always points towards the center of the circle and is responsible for keeping the object moving along the circular path.

How is centripetal acceleration calculated?

The formula for calculating centripetal acceleration is a = v^2 / r, where a is the acceleration, v is the velocity of the object, and r is the radius of the circular path.

What factors affect the centripetal acceleration of the space shuttle?

The centripetal acceleration of the space shuttle is affected by its speed, the radius of its orbit, and the mass of the shuttle itself. A higher speed or smaller radius will result in a higher centripetal acceleration, while a larger mass will result in a lower acceleration.

Why is it important to know the centripetal acceleration of the space shuttle?

Knowing the centripetal acceleration of the space shuttle is important for understanding the forces acting on the shuttle during orbit. It also allows for accurate calculations of the shuttle's trajectory and orbit.

How does centripetal acceleration play a role in space travel?

Centripetal acceleration is essential for keeping objects in orbit around a larger body, such as the Earth. It is also important for maintaining the stability and trajectory of spacecraft during maneuvers and launches.