Find the Best Undergraduate Optics Book for Graduating Seniors

In summary, the conversation discusses recommendations for an Undergraduate Upper-Division level optics book that would be helpful for a graduating senior in astrophysics. The recommended books include Modern Optics by Guenther, supplemented by Fowles and Hecht's Schaums outline, as well as Volume 1 of the Optics Handbook. The assigned book for the course is mentioned as Principles of Optics by Born & Wolf, which is typically considered a graduate level book. Other recommended books include Born & Wolf, and Sommerfeld's Lectures on Theoretical Physics, vol. 4.
LittleAlecks
Hey does anyone have an Undergraduate Upper-Division level optics book they like? Maybe one that describes the concepts well? I am a graduating senior, last physics courses I'll take as an undergrad and our assigned book isn't well written. Appreciate any help, thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
What level of optics are you taking? Are you an optics major, or something else?

This is an upper division undergraduate level course and it is a requirement for my degree in astrophysics. So no, not an optics major, but I have already taken all physics undergraduate core classes required for the degree. Thanks for your help!

I like Modern Optics by Guenther supplemented by Fowles classic and Hecht's Schaums outline.

Hecht book is okay but very verbose which is probably something you will not need if your enrolled in a course. Volume 1 of the Optics Handbook is also very good.

Likes Demystifier
What is the assigned book, so people don't embarrass themselves by recommending it? :eek:

The one recommended during my undergraduate studies was Principles of Optics by Born & Wolf.
I even used that book for the upper level albeit still undergrad EM course when we dealt with penetrating EM fields in dissipative media (like real metals, with non infinite conductivity). Definitely at a higher level than Hecht's.

Born and Wolf is usually a graduate optics book. I have a copy. I once had Wolf for a professor, a long time ago

Likes fluidistic
Born&Wolf is the first book about optics that comes to my mind. I also love Sommerfeld, Lectures on Theoretical Physics, vol. 4 (Optics). Although it's pretty old, it's still a very good source.

Likes fluidistic

Related to Find the Best Undergraduate Optics Book for Graduating Seniors

1. What factors should I consider when choosing an undergraduate optics book for graduating seniors?

When choosing an undergraduate optics book for graduating seniors, it is important to consider the specific needs and interests of the students, the level of difficulty and depth of the material, the author's credentials and reputation, the book's publication date and relevance to current advancements in the field, and any additional resources or features the book may offer such as online supplements or interactive components.

2. Are there any recommended undergraduate optics books that are widely used and respected by educators and professionals?

Yes, there are several respected undergraduate optics books that are commonly used by educators and professionals. Some popular options include "Fundamentals of Optics" by Francis A. Jenkins and Harvey E. White, "Optics" by Eugene Hecht, and "Introduction to Optics" by Frank L. Pedrotti and Leno M. Pedrotti. It is recommended to do further research and read reviews to determine which book would best fit your needs and preferences.

3. Is it important for the undergraduate optics book to cover both theoretical concepts and practical applications?

Yes, it is important for the undergraduate optics book to cover both theoretical concepts and practical applications. This will give graduating seniors a well-rounded understanding of optics and prepare them for real-world situations in their future careers. Look for books that include both theoretical explanations and practical examples or exercises.

4. Can I find a free or inexpensive undergraduate optics book online?

Yes, there are some free or inexpensive undergraduate optics books available online. However, it is important to carefully evaluate the quality and credibility of these resources before using them for educational purposes. It may be worth investing in a reputable and well-respected textbook to ensure accurate and comprehensive information.

5. Are there any online resources or study guides that can supplement the undergraduate optics book?

Yes, many undergraduate optics books offer online resources such as study guides, practice problems, and interactive simulations. It is beneficial to take advantage of these resources in addition to the textbook to enhance understanding and reinforce concepts. Additionally, there are many online tutorials and lectures available for free that can supplement the material covered in the book.