Find the Best Digital Camera Under $200.00

In summary, when looking for a good digital camera under $200.00, one should focus on the quality of the lens rather than the megapixels. Popular brands such as Panasonic and Canon offer good options in this price range, with Canon's lenses being considered second only to Leica. It is recommended to look for sales at stores like Best Buy, where cameras in the $150-180 range can be found. For those interested in point-and-shoot cameras, the Canon Elph series and Nikon Coolpix S550 are recommended choices. Higher priced, fancier cameras are better suited for artistic shots and not necessary for everyday use.
Cyrus
I need to get a new digital camera that's under $200.00 and has good quality pictures and video.

What do I look for in a good camera? I know its not the MegaPix because the camera I have now is 5.0MP but sucks. So, its got to do with the quality of the lense. Any ideas? Thanks!

Computer science news on Phys.org
Think Panasonic.

Can't go too wrong with Canon. Under $200, you'd be looking for a sale price but Canon lenses are second only to Leica.

Chi Meson said:
Can't go too wrong with Canon. Under $200, you'd be looking for a sale price but Canon lenses are second only to Leica.

I've seen lots of new cameras at best buy in the $150-180 range.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8742239&type=product&id=1202648739174

See, that's $200.00, but what's the quality of this one. Whats better about the more expensive ones? What does one look for in a good camera?

Last edited:
Chi Meson said:

I second that...
I have an Canon S1-IS (3.2Mp). It is 4 years old and still kicking. My only complaint is the lens cap. It uses some kind of fuzzy friction fit and won't stay on.

Cyrus said:
I've seen lots of new cameras at best buy in the $150-180 range.http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8742239&type=product&id=1202648739174

See, that's $200.00, but what's the quality of this one. Whats better about the more expensive ones? What does one look for in a good camera?

I have an older model of that type of Canon (mine's the SD400 5MP one), and I think the photo quality is pretty good (you can see some of my photo contest entries for an idea of what it does...even with a horrible photographer using it :rolleyes:). I usually leave the digital zoom off and stick with the optical zoom. I'm happy with it as a point-and-shoot, and especially like the size (I actually use it because I can slip it in my pocket or purse when I'm heading out somewhere, so I have it when I want it...anything bigger and I'd tend to leave it home when I don't want to be lugging a camera around). I think the point-and-shoot camera that Zz uses is the 7MP version of the same camera, so again, for comparison, you can look at some of his entries in the photo contests and see what the photo quality is like (those are good representations since they aren't Photoshopped to enhance anything)...and he's certainly a better photographer than me.

Edit: As for what's better about the more expensive ones, look at larkspur's photo entries. :wink: That's what you can do with a really fancy, expensive camera...if you know how to use it right (it would be wasted on me). If you're mostly interested in just taking snapshots for the sake of memories, and not so much for artistic photography, even 8MP is more than you need. You need the fancier cameras if you want the kinds of optics that will give you good resolution and good depth of field for the artistic shots that you might want to enlarge to poster size to frame and hang. Most people don't need that.

Last edited:
Check these out too:
Nikon Coolpix P50
Nikon Coolpix S550

Nikon, Canon, and Olympus would be my top three, not particularly in any order.

I've always really liked the Canon Elph series.

montoyas7940 said:
I second that...
I have an Canon S1-IS (3.2Mp). It is 4 years old and still kicking. My only complaint is the lens cap. It uses some kind of fuzzy friction fit and won't stay on.

That things huge. I don't want a camera that big... I want something that fits inside my pocket.

Gokul43201 said:
Check these out too:
Nikon Coolpix P50
Nikon Coolpix S550

The first one is too big, but the second one is about right in size.

Moonbear said:
I have an older model of that type of Canon (mine's the SD400 5MP one), and I think the photo quality is pretty good (you can see some of my photo contest entries for an idea of what it does...even with a horrible photographer using it :rolleyes:). I usually leave the digital zoom off and stick with the optical zoom. I'm happy with it as a point-and-shoot, and especially like the size (I actually use it because I can slip it in my pocket or purse when I'm heading out somewhere, so I have it when I want it...anything bigger and I'd tend to leave it home when I don't want to be lugging a camera around). I think the point-and-shoot camera that Zz uses is the 7MP version of the same camera, so again, for comparison, you can look at some of his entries in the photo contests and see what the photo quality is like (those are good representations since they aren't Photoshopped to enhance anything)...and he's certainly a better photographer than me.

Edit: As for what's better about the more expensive ones, look at larkspur's photo entries. :wink: That's what you can do with a really fancy, expensive camera...if you know how to use it right (it would be wasted on me). If you're mostly interested in just taking snapshots for the sake of memories, and not so much for artistic photography, even 8MP is more than you need. You need the fancier cameras if you want the kinds of optics that will give you good resolution and good depth of field for the artistic shots that you might want to enlarge to poster size to frame and hang. Most people don't need that.

My friend she has this small pocket camera that takes amazing pictures but I don't remember the name of it and I lost contact with her. I'll have to hunt her down and ask her.

I don't want a big professional NIKON camera with optional telescopes. A bunch of the grad students have these cameras and one is a professional photographer. I asked him once, but he doesn't know anything about these small cameras. Everything he uses is 1k and up pro stuff.

Maybe Kodak easyshare.

It is small, inexpensive and takes pretty good pic's.

If you can go a little over $200, you must check out the Canon SD870.

I have a Canon Powershot SD600 and I love it, it is a fun little camera and is quite small. I'm no pro photographer and it suits me well. It has a really cool feature where you can zoom in on a color in the scene you are going to photograph, select it, and then that is the only color that will show up, everything else will be black and white. I have some really cool pictures taken with that eg a picture of a friend where everything is black and white except their red shirt, or my harley in bright yellow against a bw background.

scorpa said:
I have a Canon Powershot SD600 and I love it, it is a fun little camera and is quite small. I'm no pro photographer and it suits me well. It has a really cool feature where you can zoom in on a color in the scene you are going to photograph, select it, and then that is the only color that will show up, everything else will be black and white. I have some really cool pictures taken with that eg a picture of a friend where everything is black and white except their red shirt, or my harley in bright yellow against a bw background.

Yeah, that's the kind of features I'd like to have. I'm willing to spend more than $200.00 if the price justifies it. In other words, if I pay 30 bucks more, I am getting a WAY better camera.

My camera was around 250 or so I believe.

Panasonic Lumix DMC - this is a really neat camera. It has an amazing Leica 28mm - 280mm lens, that you are not likely to find on anything else in this range. I've been thinking it was in the mid-300 buck range, but just found a great price at Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0011Z6D9U/?tag=pfamazon01-20

I only see that as 260.00...this is getting expensive.

Anything above $250.00 is an absolute no no.

Last edited:
You can get the 8.1MP version for $230. Be warned that while it outstrips every other camera in lens quality and zoom range, it's not great for low-light quick shots because it takes about a second or so to focus in poor light (I think they improved on the processor speed for the 9MP version).

I have an older Nikon Coolpix that I really liked, but they put one out a couple of years ago (a 5 MP) that was a real lemon. I bought one for work and everyone hates it. It's power hungry, so it has bad battery life and while it is recharging the flash, they shut off the lcd to save power. That's really annoying.

My main camera now is a 2 year old 7 MP version of this Sony Cybershot and I absolutely love it. http://www.digitalcamera-hq.com/digital-cameras/sony-cybershot-t300_reviews.html

russ_watters said:
I have an older Nikon Coolpix that I really liked, but they put one out a couple of years ago (a 5 MP) that was a real lemon. I bought one for work and everyone hates it. It's power hungry, so it has bad battery life and while it is recharging the flash, they shut off the lcd to save power. That's really annoying.

My main camera now is a 2 year old 7 MP version of this Sony Cybershot and I absolutely love it. http://www.digitalcamera-hq.com/digital-cameras/sony-cybershot-t300_reviews.html

youtch, $400.00

I think I paid $300 for the one I got - I don't know if they sell a cheaper version, I just found that with a quick Google. With the quality level so high these days, there is no need to spend more than $300 on a point-and-shoot camera. No need for 10 MP.

Here's an 8mp in the same family for $250: http://www.buy.com/retail/Product.a...47630&GSESID=qfmkex55oa5x4k45txxzevea&GSCID=1

I know that's out of the range you're looking for - just telling you what I like.

I just don't use one all that often to justify spending more than $250.00.

The one I have now is a real POS I bought at radio shack because it was only $100.00. It goes through AA batteries like no tomorrow. I probably spent around $50 on AA since I've had it. I'll try to sell the old one on ebay and maybe get like $20.00 back.

A rechargeable lithium battery pack is a real plus for me.

Go for the Canon Powersot a530. I love mine and my parents love thiers and they even use theirs for professional pictures, too. Not a bad price either for the quality and performance.

mcknia07 said:
Go for the Canon Powersot a530. I love mine and my parents love thiers and they even use theirs for professional pictures, too. Not a bad price either for the quality and performance.

That's too big though. We have one at the office and I'm not thrilled by it. I've seen other small camera's take much better pictures.

The picture is ok, but I think there are cameras that have a lot more features out there for similar price.

Last edited:
Chi Meson said:

But Panasonic uses Leica lenses and they are terrific. You might want to check here Cyrus

http://www.dpreview.com/

Perhaps this one qualifies because it's overtaken by a bigger brother it's probably dumped at lower prices (perhaps check http://cgi.ebay.com/Panasonic-Lumix-DIGITAL-CAMERA-DMC-FZ8-7-2-Megapixel_W0QQitemZ230283488656QQihZ013QQcategoryZ31388QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem):

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/panasonicfz8/

If it has to fit in a pocket:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/panasonictz3/

Gokul43201 said:
If you can go a little over $200, you must check out the Canon SD870.

I have this camera and I must say it's absolutely amazing.

From my experience in lower end cameras canon has had the most accurate lifelike colors.

Update, I'd personally picked this one for about 199.99

Andre, some of those cameras are still too big. Basically, I want it to be no bigger than a pack of cigarettes.

The Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ8 you showed is way, way too big. It's not something I would even consider buying. Were I to buy a camera that big, I might as well just buy a full sized professional NIKON from my office mate.(Who has a few for sale if anyone is interested) It's going to run you several hundred though, these are pro cameras and equipment.

You did not state that in the OP, Cyrus. I simply showed what best quality you could get for $200. And no, the FZ8 isn't that big as it looks although it will not fit in a pocket. Have a look you at the TZ3 in my previous post

turbo-1 said:
Cyrus, check out the optical zoom on those cameras, if you care about that. Most cameras come with 3X-5X zoom (and few start at 28mm); Olympus goes up to 7X and Panasonic has a 10X Leica lens. If you really care a lot about the extra wide angle and telephoto capability, the choice is clear. If not, look into the Canon SD series.

Andre has posted some pretty impressive shots made with a compact Panasonic/Leica camera, and if I was looking for a small camera, that's where I would start. I love my Canons, but I still have my Olympus 3040 Zoom for times when I want to have something compact to throw into a pocket of a parka, hunting jacket, etc. It's just a bit big for a shirt pocket, but still handy to have at times. Plus, I can set the presets for my wife (flash/red-eye reduction/optical zoom only, etc) and she can turn it on in program mode and get pretty good shots of family functions, birthday parties, etc.

Shots I made with the FZ8:

BBF.JPG

feedingtime.JPG

butterfly3.PNG

fz-8.jpg